Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Streaming music from 3 Pcs?

• 24-06-2005 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭

I have 2 desktops and a laptop. I want to be able to play a song on one machine and hear it through them all.
    I have a network set up with two desktops connected via ethernet & a laptop via wireless.
    Is this possible? I want the house rockin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

squeezebox server with softsqueez client: www.slimdevices.com

softsqueez is java based, so youll need java installed. Squeezbox server will stream to any client that can retireve URL.... Winamp etc, if you couldnt be aresd with the softaqueez

open source and web based, nice job.

Id say VLC does it to, but ive never tried streaming with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

squeezebox server with softsqueez client: www.slimdevices.com

softsqueez is java based, so youll need java installed. Squeezbox server will stream to any client that can retireve URL.... Winamp etc, if you couldnt be aresd with the softaqueez
    Anyone actually used this software before...I'm having difficulty getting it to work. I have it playing on the server(i'll call it that) but the client machine can only seem to control the music (play, pause etc) but not actually play it through it's speakers.
    Anybody know what could be wrong?

hmm no sound thru the client?

have you tried typing the URL of the stream into winamp, eg:

192.168.0.2:9000/stream.mp3

i use it daily and have installed it for a few clients.

Also, the attached javamp3 plugin might help.

drop the .jar into your java extensions folder and restart squeezbox client.

hmm no sound thru the client?

have you tried typing the URL of the stream into winamp, eg:

192.168.0.2:9000/stream.mp3

i use it daily and have installed it for a few clients.

Also, the attached javamp3 plugin might help.

drop the .jar into your java extensions folder and restart squeezbox client.
    I did try the URL of the stream in winamp and it just keeps saying "error connecting"
    I also installed the javamp3 plugin on both machines.
    I'm in work at the moment but will have another go this evening when I go home.
    Thanks for the help!

you probably know this already, but I abbrieviated the URL. Wierd that you are not getting sound, ive never had that problem before.

it should be:

http://192.168.0.2:9000/stream.mp3

of course the ip address of your "server" should be put in place of 192.168.0.2

• Advertisement

you probably know this already, but I abbrieviated the URL. Wierd that you are not getting sound, ive never had that problem before.

it should be:

http://192.168.0.2:9000/stream.mp3

of course the ip address of your "server" should be put in place of 192.168.0.2
    The url I entered into winamp on my remote machine is http://192.168.0.3:9000 (where 192.168.0.3 is the IP address of the server).
    When I type the above into the address bar of my browser, I get the softsqueeze control panel thingy and I can control the music that is playing on the "server"

yea, the slimserver has a handy web interface that you can play with.

did you add /stream.mp3 to the end of the URL in Winamp?

Am I right in saying that the client software behaves as if it is playing the song but no sound is audible?

yea, the slimserver has a handy web interface that you can play with.

did you add /stream.mp3 to the end of the URL in Winamp?

Am I right in saying that the client software behaves as if it is playing the song but no sound is audible?
    I'll try adding /stream.mp3 to the end of the URL and see what happens. Can't wait to get this up and running!

Right, when I add /stream.mp3 to the URL, winamp now doesn't have trouble connecting to the server (I know this as it says "Welcome to SlimServer") however STILL no sound!!!!! :confused::confused:

I think I may need to open up port 9000 on my router maybe? I have created an exception in Windows Firewall but I'm not sure whether or not the router's firewall is turned on.
    It's an Eircom wireless netopia router.
    Anybody know how to do this? I rang Eircom and they said they don't support the advanced configuration & I can't find the setting anywhere in http://192.168.1.254 :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

fletch wrote:
    Right, when I add /stream.mp3 to the URL, winamp now doesn't have trouble connecting to the server (I know this as it says "Welcome to SlimServer") however STILL no sound!!!!! :confused::confused:

Are you actually playing anything on the web interface? Also you may need to select which machine you want to play it on - been a whle since I used it, though, so it could have changed or I may be completely wrong. The "Welcome to SlimServer" message is a good sign.

hostyle wrote:
    Are you actually playing anything on the web interface? Also you may need to select which machine you want to play it on - been a whle since I used it, though, so it could have changed or I may be completely wrong. The "Welcome to SlimServer" message is a good sign.
    I think I am playing music on the web interface....it's all a bit difficult to get my head around....the music is playing alright on the computer downstairs("server") but won't play on the one upstairs

the ports on your router dont come into it as all the data is being passed behind the firewall.

perhaps they are in a codec that is not installed on the client machine? IIRC it will stream in the source codec unless you specify otheriwise.

on your slimserver webpage, select the player that is giving you trouble and maybe under the audio tab, enforce a bitrate limit. This will force it to transmit Mp3 on the fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Buzz_Irl

I think there is a much easier solution that i am using

just use windows media player/real player/etc and select your server directory as the source for media searching

it works on my pc's and laptop no probs - in fact i have it streaming through my hi-fi gear & telly in one room

Advertisement