Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

outlook express mail. ---HELP

• 24-06-2005 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

i have a problem, I booked flights and hotels a few weeks ago, and today i had to restore my PC. but all my old files are still there, but all my mails are gone from outlook, are they stored anywhere else on the PC, ??? I need to get the booking codes,

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Outlook stores email in .PST files
    Outlook Express is a totally different beast and stores them in several .DBX files
    Not sure how you open them directly though.

Try these
    http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/inside/computer_resources/manual/email/outlookexpress/PCoutlookexp_backup_howto.htm
    http://www.insideoe.com
    www.slipstick.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

couldnt find any files by that name... but i didnt creat a backup, so i dont know if they would be there,

anyone know if the downloaded mails are kept somewher else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There should be Outlook Express profiles, I've managed to do this myself, years back. Make sure when you search for .DBX files, you have "Include hidden files and folders" checked.

IIRC, they were under %SYSTEMROOT%\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Express\%UID%

Where %UID% is a big long name of number, letters and hyphens.

Did you run a system restore, or did you wipe and reinstall your machine?

i did a retore, saved all the info to a folder,,, but i found them using this program

http://www.oemailrecovery.com/ adn they are there,, now i have to find a way to move them to outlook..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭homerzero

See second step first if you want any emails since the crash to show with the old messages

Step 1
    if you have the dbx files ( the old ones from before the crash) place them in all in a new folder(call it email or something) . open outlook express and go to tools/options go to the maintenance tab and click on the store folder. clicjk on the change button and navigate to your new folder . you will be told that there is are files there already and ask if you want to switch to using those files , yuou sohuld click yes . restart outlook express and yopu should now have all your old emails back .

Step 2
    If you want to save your new emails to this folder also you should
    a. make a new folder in outlook express call is newemail
    b. copy all the emails you want to save into into this folder
    c. close and reopen outlook express and make sure the emails are in the newenmail folder
    d. do a windows search for newemail.dbx and copy it to the folder your old dbx files are in (Step 1) your new folder will now be with your old email

if you are not sure about any of this please reply to the thread and i will explain further

• Advertisement

cheers mate that worked great, now i have all my old and new mails cheers..

i just noticed the ones i added (newmail) doesnt show up ? any idea why all the others do

Advertisement