Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Databasing... fastest ways?

Options
  • 25-06-2005 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in starting a project to database the contents of .xml filelists, and create a searchable window to access the data from.

Now, i have experience in SQL2000 (MS SQL). It wouldn't take me too long to whip up a basic app in C or C# to parse the XML file which contains the data, and pass said data into an SQL database, and then using my basic knowledge of ASP .NET i could make a webpage to display data using dropdown menus, searchboxs and god knows what.

The only problem with this is, i want the program to run WITHOUT other server apps being needed. So no ASP servers, and no SQL servers can be used by the program. I'd like this to be portable between computers, so it has to be a standalone app. Whats fast, and easy to use?

Anyone have any links for programs like this, or resources that explain how to do different aspects of the project?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

No database server? Have a look at SQLite. Or there's a native Java SQL thingy that can be deployed in a non-server fashion; forget the name. Or you could drop the SQL bit altogether and go for bdb (Berkelely SleepyCat, who's major claim to fame is the cute logo: http://www.sleepycat.com) Or am I misunderstanding you?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

I'm not entirely sure what you as asking but...

Use Delphi, load the Xml into an XmlDocument and use Xpath to query the Xml.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah - just use some sort of SOAP connector to read in and search the SQL[EDIT] I mean XML[/EDIT]. Unless good performance is a must - that should be fine!

Failing that - I'd recommend PHP and SQLite (which is integrated into PHP5)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Could try cloudscape. its not fantastic but it is a free DB server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

+1 for sqlite - have used it for commercial project on both Windows and MacOS and it held up very nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Well. theres probably going to be several hundred XML files, each with quite a few entries, so i have to be able to database them (and index them). It'd be impossible to do an on-the-spot search.

Ideally when this project is finished, i'd be left with one resulting EXE (+ config files in .txt format i suppose). Then i can distribute that to other people with worrying about them having to install other software. This .exe could then read in the xml's, database em, and have a search option to scan the database for whatever entries i'd need.

Do any of the packages that were mentioned require to be installed seperately? Or can they be linked directly into the .exe. However good performance would be worth more than the pain of having to install two packages. I hope thats a bit clearer :p

I'll read up on those packages now anyway.

Right, SQLite seems to be exactly what i'm looking for. I'm going to go investigate it further. If anyone has any good reference material for it, links would be appreciated. Otherwise i'll resort to googling and hoping to find the good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭theexis

Jet ships are part of the Windows OS and given that it runs as an in-process DBMS you can get great results using the Seek indexing support is provides.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭theexis

Also, did you consider parsing your data into Indexing Server (again, part of the OS).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

Given that you already know SQL Server 2000, have you considered MSDE only downside would be that AFAIK it need's to be installed seperately.

• Advertisement

Never even heard of MSDE before now. I'll check it out. SQLite is looking very promising though. It does what i want, its written in C (and has a wrapper for use in C#), so i shouldn't have much trouble implementing it into my program. Plus, its tiny! Would add less than a megabyte to the size of my program.

The 40meg download for MSDE is uninspiring, but i'll give it a shot. Any info is good info.

As for jet... i know someone who implemented that into a program they were working on, and it became quite quite slow when the database got over a few hundred megs. Adding more info became painfully slow. I don't know whether it was a fault in JET, or if it was just sloppy coding. But i'd like to avoid JET for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

SQL 2005 Express Edition (free) would probably be ideal for your xml requirements but I probably won't satisfy the need for no server to be installed. It allows you to Xcopy the DB but the user still needs Sql express installed also.

However for the xml, 2005 now has a native xml datatype so you could actually store the xml files in the DB, and they can be queried using XQuery, also allowing your to index the xml in the table.

Advertisement