Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Distance from my exchange to my house?

• 25-06-2005 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

The Distance from my exchange to my house is about 3.2 miles. I have ISDN now, so would I be ok for broadband if my exchange ever did get upgraded?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The distance limit at the moment for broadband is around 4.5 kilometres. 3.2 miles is 5.15 kilometres so you maybe a bit too far out. :(
    The distance is supposed to increase with the introduction of ADSL+2 to around 8km (that's if it's ever introduced :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

kaizersoze wrote:
    The distance limit at the moment for broadband is around 4.5 kilometres. 3.2 miles is 5.15 kilometres so you maybe a bit too far out. :(
    The distance is supposed to increase with the introduction of ADSL+2 to around 8km (that's if it's ever introduced :rolleyes: )
    The 3.2 miles is when I drive it, so the distance maybe shorter. I have heard (which could be wrong) that if you can get ISDN, you'll be ok for broadband.

Can anyone confirm if this is true or not?

Also, what does the introduction of ADSL+2 involve? Are we going to have to go through the same crap of waiting for the exchanges to be upgraded?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

The 3.2 miles is when I drive it, so the distance maybe shorter. I have heard (which could be wrong) that if you can get ISDN, you'll be ok for broadband.

This sometimes isn't the case, but the distance restrictions are roughly the same for ISDN and ADSL. The line quality required, however, is not.

Upgrading DSLAM's to ADSL2 in most cases requires little more than a firmware upgrade, but older DSLAM's may need to be replaced.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

anyone know any idea when eircom are thinking of updating us all to adsl 2 and if we'll see any benefits from it such as a higher upload speed (very important) /faster download speeds (not as important) and more stable service from an increased backhaul?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

I have ISDN but can't get DSL because I am too far from the exchange so it doesn't follow that if you have one you can get the other.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the line length is not measured as a direct distance from the exchange, even if the line runs directly from the exchange to your house. Even line has a certain amount of slack betwen each two poles to allow for contraction/expansion in winter and summer and also to handle wind pressure.

M.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

I know of a factory 10Km from the exchange which has ISDN...but will never, ever have DSL in any form.

Advertisement