Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State of Play...

Options
  • 25-06-2005 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

With regards to the PS3 and all its super-computer abilities, running linux, browsing internet, etc etc..... Don't we just wanna play games when we buy a games machine? I'll let my PC do all the 'work', thank you very much Mr. Kutaragi.
    I say the same to the X-Box 360 and its baldy nerd supervisor, who, in a wonderful little trick of presentation, managed to state in the launch video "Everything we've done for the X-Box 360 has been for the gamer!" very shortly followed by "...allowing the gamer to change the front of the 360 with various designs."
    Wow, Dead or Alive rehashed for the third time is going to seem so much better when I have the graphics of semi-nude beach-babes stuck onto my console.

I also automatically discount anything that plays MP3's that isn't a dedicated MP3 player.

I guess Nintendo have the right idea for having a games-only machine, but they always screw-ball it up somehow. However, I bet the Revolution won't play MP3's.

YOU'VE READ IT! YOU CAN'T UN-READ IT!!
    PREPARE TO AGREE OR DISAGREE!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

heh i disagree on what you said *gasp*

you can UNread stuff Mr 27 poster faulky lad

so HAH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

All it's supercomputer abilities....

:D:D:D:D
    Thats funny , but last time I checked it was a console and lacked even the abilities of a high end gaming PC. And why are you so excitied about linux and browsing the web , have you forgotten Pc s have been doing both for over a decade?

Anyways , why do you want the machine to play mp3's? The psone/2 plays music cd's but I have never once met someone who uses it for that purpose. It sounds nice but its utterly useless.

Changable fronts , hmmm , money spinner. Why do you care what it looks like ? To compensate for something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Why can't we all just get along? :confused:
    Thats funny , but last time I checked it was a console and lacked even the abilities of a high end gaming PC.
    He's talking about the ps3, not the ps2. If you believe the sony hype, then the cell's supposed to be some kind of silicon based holy grail.

OP, who gives a damn what else it does as long as it doesn't interfere with the gaming. You don't have to play mp3s with it if you don't want to and changing the face plate is not going to drop your fps. Also, those who don't own a pc might find some of those features useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

As much fun as being cynical about everything is, why does having extra features automatically make the games worse? Do you think Microsoft said 'oh lets leave a couple of levels out of Halo 3 so we can put those programmers designing faceplates instead.' If you don't want to change them then don't bother, it's not a big deal. It's just a bonus for people who care about that kind of thing. As for MP3 playback, I know that's added a hell of a lot of value to my PSP. And whats the downside for people who don't like listening to music for some reason? Oh, there isn't any! But lets complain about it anyway because its nothing to do with games!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

With regards to the PS3 and all its super-computer abilities, running linux, browsing internet, etc etc..... Don't we just wanna play games when we buy a games machine?

I hate Aertel, it stops me from watching TV. And the camera, wap browser, games, diary, alarm clock etc on my phone stop me from making phone calls. And I could never play any game on the Xbox or PS2 because the two of them are just bloody DVD players. Oh dear god, I’m off to write a letter to the Irish Times, Joe Duffy, and Matt Cooper – all this convergence has to be stopped!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Khalim

YOU'VE READ IT! YOU CAN'T UN-READ IT!!
    PREPARE TO AGREE OR DISAGREE!!

I'd like to make a decision, I really do, but I don't understand what there is to agree or disagree on. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

watch over the sony and xbox (if you can stand allard for that long) presentations again, they're not selling games consoles anymore. they're selling multimedia units...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

steviec wrote:
    Do you think Microsoft said 'oh lets leave a couple of levels out of Halo 3 so we can put those programmers designing faceplates instead.'

Ah so that's what happened to the end of HALO 2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Stupid thread with no real topic, lock it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

With regards to the PS3 and all its super-computer abilities, running linux, browsing internet, etc etc..... Don't we just wanna play games when we buy a games machine? I'll let my PC do all the 'work', thank you very much Mr. Kutaragi.
    I wouldn't be bothered a whole lot about these extras either, just for me, but lots of people like the idea that their new console can play DVDs, play mp3s, run emulators and be made a different colour. Like monument, none of this stuff is exactly taking from my gaming experience, not that there's much of that in my house anyway. You could make the case that they're wasting time on development of addons but if these lead to increased sales it's more likely that games companies are going to bother making the effort when there's an extra house they can make a sale to.

Monument said it better. Especially the Aertel bit, I liked that. Nothing further to see here after that I reckon.

• Advertisement

Steven wrote:
    Why can't we all just get along? :confused:

He's talking about the ps3, not the ps2. If you believe the sony hype, then the cell's supposed to be some kind of silicon based holy grail.

OP, who gives a damn what else it does as long as it doesn't interfere with the gaming. You don't have to play mp3s with it if you don't want to and changing the face plate is not going to drop your fps. Also, those who don't own a pc might find some of those features useful.

I am more than aware that he was talking about the PS3 and I completely stand by my statement.

And anyone who doesnt have a pc will not find linux useful , because they wont be able to work it, simply. How many households do you know without a pc anyways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Boco

And anyone who doesnt have a pc will not find linux useful
    I'm sure all those people using linux in phones, handhelds, tvs and toasters would disagree with you there.
    How many households do you know without a pc anyways?
    About half of them according to the CSO.

You nearly have a point about high end PCs out performing the PS3. nVidia have said themselves that by the time the PS3 is out, they will have a more powerful graphics card for the PC market. But, for most people, they wont own a PC in the first year or two of the next generation of consoles that outperforms them, alot like this generation.

Sorry but I cant understand your last point. What you are saying is that the consoles will be better than the pc's for a year or too?
    If that was your point then I have to disagree , mainly because I'm like that but also just because of battle field 2 , farcry , doom , up-and-coming quake etc..
    So if high end pcs are out preforming them now just think what they will be doing by the time the ps3 reaches the shelves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Boco

I expect the next gen consoles to run games at the quality of far cry and doom 3 with ease and at the highest quality while maintaining decent framerates. Videos and tech demos of next gen console games surpass anything I've seen on a current high end pc. Now, you also have to consider that the current top end PC video card costs 600 dollars (Geforce 7800) while a next gen console will cost between 300 and 400 dollars. The graphics chip in the next gen of consoles will be more powerul than the geforce 7800 (as stated by nVidia, and according to ATI, their chip in the next xbox is more powerful again). The xbox 360 will be out at christmas, the ps3 will follow sometime in mid to late 2006. If you have a read of the xbox 360 spec and have a look at some videos you'll realise that a current high end pc is woefully outperformed and by a 300 dollar box. It will probably be entirely possible to match the performance of these consoles by a pc early in their lifetime (ie, a year or two) but how much will it cost? You only have to look at the current consoles. It took about a year for PCs to catch up in terms of graphical quality and even then it took a PC with specs much higher than their console equivalents

This has been discussed about 100 times already in previous threads. Any arguement against a console having extra features is just plain stupid. If you don't like the extras, don't use them. Plain and simple. At least you have the choice. As for the graphics capabilities just look at the specs of the ps3 and x-box 360. There are no processors or graphics cards on the market to rival these on pc and there are no games that look anywhere near as impressive as the likes of the killzone 2 demo if that is indeed the quality of graphics we will get.

Citizen_erazed get a clue please and try reading the several hundred posts made by informed people about this topic before posting drivel.

Boco wrote:
    graphics chip in the next gen of consoles will be more powerul than the geforce 7800 (as stated by nVidia, and according to ATI, their chip in the next xbox is more powerful again)

Ah , but this pc has two in SLI so that is considerabley more

And I have a clue , I am not a fanboy , I have a ps2 , I have gameboys (which I favour over anything else) . I am also not trying to say the Ps3 will be bad. I am against peoples attitude towards it.

Sure you can use 2 in sli. You won't have any games making use of the capabilities of using 2 high end cards in sli though. You will get better frame rates and that's about it. Companies won't develop games that can make use of the capabilities because only a tiny percentage of people will have 2 high end cards in sli.

The difference with the consoles is the standard spec that everyone has so they will push it as far as they can.

I know we are drifting terribly far from topic and we should stop soon but , the ps2 imo reached its peak a few years ago and all games have just come along on a level plateau and thge occasional game has dropped below it. Seriously though , I have not bought a ps2 game in ages because it is now just a sea of mediocre deja vous .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I know we are drifting terribly far from topic and we should stop soon but

As far as I’m concerned the thread-starter left the topic wide open within the boundaries ‘State of play’, with references to next and current generation consoles and the PC. In short, the thread is coming nothing more, so please feel free to continue along the lines you are…

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

the point of a console over a PC is that everyone is on a level playing field, and you can have your mates round to have some multiplayer action without any hassle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I know we are drifting terribly far from topic and we should stop soon but , the ps2 imo reached its peak a few years ago and all games have just come along on a level plateau and thge occasional game has dropped below it. Seriously though , I have not bought a ps2 game in ages because it is now just a sea of mediocre deja vous .

I have to disagree there. The thing I like about consoles is that programmers get more inventive as the hardware ages, unlike PC games which can just rely on rehashing the same idea over and over and over with ever more fancy graphics thanks to ever more powerful hardware. Meanwhile the PC owner is expected to pay for yearly upgrades for the privilege.

If you had bought a PC at the same time the PS2 was released, which would have cost many times more than a PS2, and had not upgraded it at all in the meantime, how much use do you think it'd be getting as a games machine right now? A lot less than the PS2 thats for sure.

I like PC games and console games but I hate it when people say one is better than the other. Their both very different and have their own place. You'll never appreciate an FPS fully without a mouse and keyboard. But there's so many types of games that benefit from sitting on the couch with friends, joypad in hand. And consoles will always be better value for money for gaming purposes than PCs, and if Sony pull off a decent functional version of Linux that will be even more true.

Yes I agree with most of them points and the Ps2 does have some large advantages. But the point about the programmers making better games as they get to know the platform better is also true, but it can only go to a certain point and that recently it's just been a boring mass of done-before with very little over each other or previous games.

BloodBath wrote:
    Sure you can use 2 in sli. You won't have any games making use of the capabilities of using 2 high end cards in sli though. You will get better frame rates and that's about it. Companies won't develop games that can make use of the capabilities because only a tiny percentage of people will have 2 high end cards in sli.

The difference with the consoles is the standard spec that everyone has so they will push it as far as they can.

Hang on , you're saying that all the new games being developed in co-operation with nVidea (eg BF2 ) are not capable of exploiting sli? That sounds slightly outrageous to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DrNuyenVanFaulk

steviec wrote:
    As much fun as being cynical about everything is, why does having extra features automatically make the games worse? Do you think Microsoft said 'oh lets leave a couple of levels out of Halo 3 so we can put those programmers designing faceplates instead.' If you don't want to change them then don't bother, it's not a big deal. It's just a bonus for people who care about that kind of thing. As for MP3 playback, I know that's added a hell of a lot of value to my PSP. And whats the downside for people who don't like listening to music for some reason? Oh, there isn't any! But lets complain about it anyway because its nothing to do with games!

Because it distracts from the games. And PSP is cack.

Khalim wrote:
    I'd like to make a decision, I really do, but I don't understand what there is to agree or disagree on. :confused:

It's quoting. Guess what from!

Alright, some of you seem to dislike the idea of disliking convergence.... rather, a lot of you seem to like devices that do a lot of things.

My original point was, I want a games machine. I don't want to spend €500 on a PS3 just to play Wanda and the Colossus, or Shadow of Colossus or whatever (Ico 2), and about five other games worth buying by the end of its life-span (as is generally the case with consoles).

Yeah, you're right, for people who don't have PC's, it could do a lot for them.

And my complaint about Xbox 360's changeable front is just - it will not distract developers, of course, but it reflects the gimmicky nature that I feel a lot of modern technology has. Why didn't Microsoft focus on something a bit more worth while?
    It's almost as bad as the hideous java games on mobile phones: they're all ****, so stop using them as an advertising gimmick. "Can play java games!" Wow!! java! Sounds cool, but lets face it, Java is arse.

My biggest, hugest gripe is the lack of non-comformaty across the games market. Three more consoles, and a PC market! Oh my god!! Imagine walking into Xtravision and having three DVD sections for three different DVD player types. It's the exact same thing with videogames, and it's absolute horse****.

Because it distracts from the games. And PSP is cack.

Exactly. Why, only the other day, whilst playing a PS2, did I feel the irresistible urge to watch a DVD. Such was the frenzy this urge generated, that I failed to correctly save my game and lost hours of intensive RPG work.

You really aren't adding anything to this discussion other than the intellectual equivalent of "e><tra 5tufF sux0rz!!!1!1!!twelve"

[edit] It appears I replied a little too slowly :D [/edit]

Alright, some of you seem to dislike the idea of disliking convergence.... rather, a lot of you seem to like devices that do a lot of things.

My original point was, I want a games machine. I don't want to spend €500 on a PS3 just to play Wanda and the Colossus, or Shadow of Colossus or whatever (Ico 2), and about five other games worth buying by the end of its life-span (as is generally the case with consoles).

All of those extra features that you seem so adverse to are software or are tiny alterations to the hardware production (like the exchangeable face plate). The increase in cost from these is practically negligible. They already sell consoles at a loss but, as the tech becomes more complex, the manufacturing costs go up.
    And my complaint about Xbox 360's changeable front is just - it will not distract developers, of course, but it reflects the gimmicky nature that I feel a lot of modern technology has. Why didn't Microsoft focus on something a bit more worth while?

They're the largest software company in the world. I doubt too many development hours were lost in creating changeable fonts.
    It's almost as bad as the hideous java games on mobile phones: they're all ****, so stop using them as an advertising gimmick. "Can play java games!" Wow!! java! Sounds cool, but lets face it, Java is arse.

Seperate issue, but some of those java games are ridiculously poorly made.
    My biggest, hugest gripe is the lack of non-comformaty across the games market. Three more consoles, and a PC market! Oh my god!! Imagine walking into Xtravision and having three DVD sections for three different DVD player types. It's the exact same thing with videogames, and it's absolute horse****.

If you want standardisation of platforms then you're going to get less innovation in hardware development. Who knows, the cell could change the way console processors are built forever?* That aside, what are the chances that you could get 3 industry giants to agree to one machine :rolleyes:

*may not be true

Pretty slim , because if they did standardise then the hardware would have to be pretty much standardised aswell . That would mean the cheapest console would own the market. Maybe if games that were coming out on more than one console anyway could be standardised ( although they would have to run under the power of one machine) could be interchangeable. Then each console could still have its own style too.

• Advertisement

Hang on , you're saying that all the new games being developed in co-operation with nVidea (eg BF2 ) are not capable of exploiting sli? That sounds slightly outrageous to me.

Omg, way to miss the point. Nvidia sponsers EA on BF2. EA Stick a short nvidia clip on the front of the game and on the box. It's advertising and nothing more. My point is there are no games that need sli to run on full detail at a high res. Any high end card from 6800gt - x800pr0 upwards will run bf2 or most other pc games on a high res with max detail. The only benifits of sli is pushing your frame rate higher or using crazy resolutons over 2000x1400 or whatever it is. Only a tiny tiny percentage of the pc market will ever do this. Comparing sli to console graphics cards is just stupid. The fact of the matter is the x-box360 and ps3 have more advanced tech than high end pc's so the games can and will look better on them for at least a year especially with hdtv. Look at the tech demos for christs sake. There is nothing comparable on the pc apart from unreal 2007 which the consoles will have as well.

Advertisement