Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Memory could not be read -Error!

• 25-06-2005 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭

Yeah , it's me again .

Noticed this the first time I updated firefox to 1.4 , but it now also happens with IE and BF2 when I close the application .

http://homepage.eircom.net/~jonstapleton/error.htm........

Some of the guys reckoned it was a memory error , so I went about checking that .I have 2 sticks of 512 pc2700 samsung memory , removed one , still the same problem , switched in the other , still the same error . So unless both sticks went at the same time , which is very unlikely , it ain't the memory . Was definitely worth the effort though as it eliminates the memory and it was quick and painless . Plus I got to hover out the insides which badly needed doing .

Also been trying to search around the Microsoft Knowledge base , but that ain't proving too easy . Tried uninstalling Firefox , no joy , reinstalled it again , no joy .

Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks

John.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

As an aside - you should never remove the ram util all else fails. This is because removing memory can cause real damage by static electiricity that may not show for months.

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1268/

/BURNMEMORY=x Makes NT forget about the given amount of memory in MB. If /burnmemory=64 was given then 64MB of memory would be unavailable.
    /MAXMEM:n - Specifies the maximum amount of RAM that Windows NT can use. This switch is useful if you suspect a memory chip is bad.

If you get the same app crashing in the same way then it is far more likley to be a software issue than a hardware one.

Try starting up in safe mode - which version of windows are you using ?
    Have you ruled out junk running in the background like malware/spyware ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭jonski

Sorry , should have given more details

xp pro sp2
    ran microsoft antispyware , spybot and adaware , all updated
    ran memtest86
    ran regclean

This first materialised when I updated firefox to 1.4 , when I shut it down , I get that same kinda error , now when I shutdown IE or BF2 i get it aswell , everytime . It does not effect other programs .

Thanks

John

ps:was also wearing a static strap :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭jonski

This has moved on a bit to now include a windows explorer error to blank out my desktop , only to give it straight back to me . Still haven't been able to find any exact reference to it on the net , although other errors that resemble it seem to point to "memory leekage" ( not even sure what that means) .

Anyone else have any ideas before I go for the "format c: "

Thanks

John.

Advertisement