Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Modem and Linksys WAG54G

• 25-06-2005 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,

Having serious problems getting my Linksys router to connect to the web thru the cr*ppy NTL 250 modem. I've tried just about everything, some of it just randomly tweaking settings when all else had failed. I'd previously setup my router with Eircom Broadband and got it all running like a dream.

It'd help if there was any way i could monitor the settings on the modem, i gather, so as to bridge properly?

Also, I'm not getting an IP address for the modem either.

Anyways, I'm at a loss. I want to avoid dhcp if at all possible. Can anyone help?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bob_jesus wrote:
    Hi,

Having serious problems getting my Linksys router to connect to the web thru the cr*ppy NTL 250 modem. I've tried just about everything, some of it just randomly tweaking settings when all else had failed. I'd previously setup my router with Eircom Broadband and got it all running like a dream.

It'd help if there was any way i could monitor the settings on the modem, i gather, so as to bridge properly?

Also, I'm not getting an IP address for the modem either.

Anyways, I'm at a loss. I want to avoid dhcp if at all possible. Can anyone help?

Thanks! :)

If it definietly is the wag54g that you are attempting to use its no wonder you have problems because thats an 'all in one' for adsl (including a modem) and thats how it worked fine with your Eircom BB - what you should have I think is the
    Linksys wrt54g or equivalent. There have been lots of posts on here of that working fine with NTL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bob_jesus

thanks dude,

hoping to find a workaround... tis a nice piece of kit to be worthless to me! :-(

anyways, thanks for the speedy feedback!

MK

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bob_jesus wrote:
    thanks dude,

hoping to find a workaround... tis a nice piece of kit to be worthless to me! :-(

MK

Why not try selling it on here or even better you might find someone who might be prepared to do a straight swop for the wrt54g?

I am using the wag54g myself and find it excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

bob_jesus wrote:
    thanks dude,

MK
    Can you disable the modem part.
    Even if you can is there an RJ45 ethernet socket on the back for a WAN ethernet connection - or is it only RJ11 DSL socket?

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bob_jesus

Nope, can't find a way to disable the modem and there doesn't seem to be a sep WAN internet port, just the standard DSL phone jack. It does seem to differentiate between WAN and Lan connections, but still...

Plan is to pick up a router that does the job and use the wag54g as an access point. cos, i kinda give up, and you can never have too many toys right? ;-)

Thanks everybody! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

bob_jesus wrote:
    Plan is to pick up a router that does the job and use the wag54g as an access point.

How do you plan to do that :confused:
    Even if you use an RJ45/RJ11 adapter if you can't disable the modem then you'll get a corrupted signal.
    Even if you use it in Bridged Mode afaik it will still corrupt the signal.

causal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

WAG54G is an awesome piece of kit - use it myself as well. But only truly useful with ADSL connections. Dub45's suggestion might be your best course of action. Try to sell it or even swap it and go for the equivalent cable modem one. You'll save yourself tons of hassle IMO.

Advertisement