Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brock Lesnars best WWE match?

• 25-06-2005 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭

I was discussing this with a mate the other day. What are your thoughts?

For me, it would come down to either the Hell in the Cell match against the Undertaker at No Mercy 2002 or his forty minute cracker against Eddie Guerrero at No Way Out 2004.

Other noteworthy mentions: Vs The Rock, Summersalm 2002, and the Iron Man match against Kurt Angle shortly after Summerslam 2003.

Dd I miss any great ones, do you guys think? And which is the best of the above?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

The Iron Man Match was pretty good I remember. Wasnt that big on the Hell in the Cell though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I loved the Hell in the Cell. No big spots, but it was deliciosly stiff and brutal. The finish in particular was fantastic. Undertaker had Lesnar on his shoulder, about to deliver a tombstone piledriver, when Lesnar leaned back, reversing the postion (like Taker did to Orton at Wrestlemania). With one flick, Lesnar then had Taker in a fireman's carry, just ready for the F-5. The power required to execute such a little thing like that was immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Good question. I liked his match with the Big Show at Survivor Series 2002 and I liked the angle going into that match on whether Lesnar could F-5 the Big Show or not. If I'm not mistaken, he had legitimately injured his ribs so that F-5 was amazing and the screw-job by Heyman at the end was great I thought.

His WM19 match was very good but the ending when he botched the Shooting Star put a dampener on that match.

The Iron Man match with Angle and the match with Eddie at No Way Out was good as well but if I had to pick my favourite it would be a choice between his match with Rock for the Undisputed title at Summerslam 2002 or his match with Kurt at Summerslam 2003 when he tapped out for the first time ever. I think the match with Kurt was a better wrestling match but I prefer the match with Rock as that was great because the fans totally turned on The Rock!

The finish to the Summerslam match against Angle bothered me a little. While I thought it was cool that Angle tapped him, I would have way preferred it had Angle put the leg-lace on the ankle-lock first. Great match none-the-less, far better than their Mania match, due to Angle being fit.

While it was only aout five minutes long, I too loved the Survivor Series match against the Big Show. Their feud was fantastic; who'll ever forget the ring collapsing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Lamar

was the hell in the cell actually that good?it was one of only 2 or 3 brocks's matches that i missed......i must check it out soon then..sounds like it must be good

• Advertisement

It was different to the ones that went before, as the guys never left the cell. They just beat the living hell out of each other while in there. Really, Lesnar bashed Taker with the steps hard enough to almost kill a man! The mat was turned crimson by the end too. The Hell in the Cell matches that happen these days (Nash Vs Triple H, Michaels Vs Triple H and probably Batista Vs Triple H) seem to be trying to emulate that one. None have been as good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

The Hell in a cell match is a classic, just for the amount of blood spilt in there. Even Heyman was opened up for pretty much no apparent reason. Another reason to love the man!

His match with Angle was classic and for me, the Shooting star press made it even more memorable. Horrible landing but it took some balls to do it.

Does anyone remember the William Regal match with Rikishi when Brock was first on the scene and during Regal's entrance, Brock pops up, manhandles Rikishi and F-5s him before Regal even makes it down the ramp. That was a classic performance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Does anyone remember the William Regal match with Rikishi when Brock was first on the scene and during Regal's entrance, Brock pops up, manhandles Rikishi and F-5s him before Regal even makes it down the ramp. That was a classic performance!

Jaysus when he did arrived on the scene I was even scared of him! :eek:

I was very doubtful about Brock when he 1st arrived in the WWE. He seemed like just yet another ''Big Guy'' only in the WWE because of Vinnie Mac's fetish for ''Big Guys'' However with Heyman by his side he was the real deal. Heyman was brilliant for Brock. His use of sayings like ''The Next Big Thing'' made Brock ''The Next Big Thing.'' I thought they pushed too quickly at first with winning the now defunct King of the Ring title after just 2 months in the WWE and the title shot against The Rock at Summerslam 02' (what a brilliant PPV BTW!), but in that match he showed his star quality and ability.

The Hell in the Cell at No Mercy 2002 was superb and stands out as his best match. No big spots just ''brutality'' and that was what Lesnar was about. That night Brock became the real deal when he stood on top of the cell with the title in his hands. The Brock/Angle Mania 19 match was great but it could have been the ultimate classic if it wasn't for Angle's neck problems. That Shooting Star Press still screams OUCH! 2 years on. I'll never forget Tazz's ''how is he not dead?'' comment. I think everyone said the exact same thing to themselves!

Overall Brock was a fantastic wrestler for such a big man but definitely being on the mic was his let down. He may have had a bad attidude but the WWE misses him badly. I would have loved to have seen a Brock vs Triple H fued. Ah maybe some day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Kio

I would have loved to have seen a Brock vs Triple H fued. Ah maybe some day! :)

Ahhh thats the only match i wanted but it couldn't happen and then he left i heard thats it happened in oz and i would love to see it!

When Brock was in OVW he did the shooting star press on a regular basis. The reason he botched it is the distance Angle had himself from the turnbuckle (thats not blaming Angle in any way). Here's him doing properly...

Shotting Star Press

Also just found this. Now no one get their hopes up as we have to take these things with a pinch of salt but here ye go anyway.

Brock to return?

• Advertisement

Brow, I'd read that Lesnar had practised doing the long range Shooting Star, and he'd been able to nail it in practice. I guess he just had a bad night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

I'd say the botched SSP was just down to how tired lesnar must have been at the end of the match.
    He had a match with the undertaker on smackdown a few weeks before the hell in a cell, or maybe a few weeks after - that was probably my favourite.

Are you sure you're not thinking of their match at Unforgiven, the previous PPV? It was good, but it went to a DQ, which never helps. Undertaker subsequently hurling Lesnar through the PPV set was a cool spot though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Regarding the SSP at Mania 19, if you look at it again, you can see that just as he is about to launch, he hesitates. Thats where he screwed up. By the looks he had misjudged the range, and realised this at the very last second.

That aside, my fav Brock match is the above one, closely followed his match against The Rock at SS2002.

I also seem to remember a number of matches he had with Benoit, all non PPV, but highly impressive matches non the less.

And my favourite Brock moment was definitely the Superplex on Show, and the ring collapsed - my God, the crowd pop something HUGE.

^^^Speaking of Brock moments, I'll never forget what he did to Zack Gowen on Smackdown the night Zack's mother was there and it was in Zack's hometown. I do believe it was in the run-up to his match with Angle at Summerslam 2003. Brock was an animal that night and really beat the hell out of Gowen. The blood that Gowen lost was amazing and Brock F-5'ed him against the ring post and then knocked him off the stretcher at the top of the ramp. He then brought the stretcher to the ring and wiped Zack's blood over his chest. That was a great episode of Smackdown as it showed Lesnar at his best - ruthless and vicious.

That's why I feel Smackdown has never truly recovered from him leaving. I don't think there's anyone in the WWE that could pull off something that brutal and sadistic.

Bring back Brock!

^^^Speaking of Brock moments, I'll never forget what he did to Zack Gowen on Smackdown the night Zack's mother was there and it was in Zack's hometown.

Apparently she was hopping mad!!! :o:p

gimmick wrote:
    Apparently she was hopping mad!!! :o:p

Apparently she told Vince that Zack was threatening to sue over the treatment he suffered but Vince told her he hadn't a leg to stand on. :o:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

lesnar had a good match?

i must have missed that one.

Actually, he had dozens. You must have missed them all.

julep wrote:
    lesnar had a good match?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I remember one where he tore Hulk Hogan to pieces as well. Started wiping hulks blood on himself and beat him with a bear hug i think. Thats a fairly memorable one for me.

Advertisement