Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hotspot equipment...

• 25-06-2005 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Guys,
    does anyone know of or where I could purchase a wireless hotspot controller so I can set up my Cafe as a wireless hotspot? The more economic the better.

Many thanks

Paul :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

It all depends. Are you just after some hardware to set up yourself, or do you want someone to come in, set it up, and maintain it for you? If it's the latter, there are various suppliers - Bitbuzz, wni.ie, major telcos, etc. You'd have to decide if your customers can afford their prices, and see what kind of cut you'll be getting.

If it's DIY your after, well, it depends on know-how. To start with, you can turn an old PC into a wifi hotspot, connect it up to a 2MB DSL service, and you're all set. If you're going to charge for the service, you'll need tracking and authentication. You might be looking at tying it in to your existing products i.e. buy a cup of coffee and get another xx minutes surf-time. That would need some kind of correlation between your retail POS system and the wifi setup.

I know you were looking for answers, and here am I throwing questions back at you. I would think the DIY approach would be the more economical, but that's just me. You also haven't mentioned when you want this up and running - you might not have the time for the kind of work I've suggested. Eircom call their offering "WiFi in a Box" - sounds good, but have a look at the figures first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ForcaBarca

tomk,
    thanks for the detailed reply. To be honest I'd prefer to set it up and run it myself. I did some research on the web and there are solutions with a box and a printer that would print tickets with usernames and passwords e.g. the zyxel 4100 but it is quite expensive around 700 euro. Would you or anyone else know of something a little cheaper.

P.S. I'd like this up and running asap :-)

Many thanks

Paul

Advertisement