Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk

• 25-06-2005 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

What do you prefer UHT milk or fresh pasteurized milk? Which type of milk contains less fat? UHT falf-fat or fresh half-fat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My favourite would have to be fresh unpasteurised milk. I know that the thought of unpasteurised milk freaks people out, but I grew up on a farm, and we drank it straight out of the chilled tank. When I moved away from home, pasteurised milk tasted watery in comparison!

I think that for the amount of fat milk contains, that you're as well to drink the full-fat version, that is unless you're guzzling pints. UHT is muck, though it has it's uses, for instance, if you're camping

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,323 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

UHT is an abomination and can't properly be described as milk. Never had unpasteurised milk, although dudara is right, the thought of it freaks me out a bit. You can't beat ice cold, fresh pasteurised milk as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭esperanza

Do any of you have info on the nutritional content of UHT milk? Apparently, there is more potassium and calcium in UHT milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

zaph wrote:
    UHT is an abomination and can't properly be described as milk.

Unless you live somewhere very warm where UHT is the only milk. :) You get used to it eventually

UHT treatment of milk is considerably more severe than pasteurisation due to the higher temperatures involved. Therefore the loss of vitamins including B1, B6, B12, C, folic acid and thiamine during UHT processing is much greater than during pasteurisation. Research into calcium absorption into the body concluded that the absorption of calcium from UHT milk was some 20 per cent lower than fresh pasteurised milk.

Found on this webpage here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭esperanza

Yeah, I found this too. Not sure if it's true though ... any other sources?

dudara wrote:
    Found on this webpage here
    Always have to be careful of the source. Phillip Morris could say that smoking is not bad for you. :p

What I don't like about the page is that they don't reference the studies in question. Hey, I'm a professional physicist, I take every source with a pinch of salt, all good scientists do. It's surprisingly har dto find good info on UHT milk though.

Google for this "UHT milk process" and take your pick :) Lots of stuff around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

To quote the manager of the dairies in Fr. Ted "You'd better get going, because milk gets sour. Unless it's UHT milk, but there's no demand for that, because it's sh!te"
    Originally posted by dudara
    I know that the thought of unpasteurised milk freaks people out, but I grew up on a farm, and we drank it straight out of the chilled tank.

I used to love drinking unpasteurised milk ... my grandparents had a cattle farm. Probably wouldn't do it now!!

Nothing better than an ice cold glass of full fat milk ... I'm on a diet, so it's that low fat stuff - it's just not the same :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Most people these days would get sick from drinking unpasteurised milk; no tolerance to the bacteria. Same as people going to foreign countries and getting ill from the food.

For me nothing can beat the non homogenised full milk you used to get in bottles, (preferably delivered by a milkman on an electric milk cart) it was always a race in our house in the mornings to get to the milk first. If I got there the cream would be all over my cornflakes, if the old man got it he would shake the bottle.

Advertisement