Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clay pigeon shooting advice

Options
  • 25-06-2005 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭

Hey folks. I'm going clay pidgeon shooting in Balbriggan tomorow (Sunday). Have you guys got any advice for me (other than to not drink too much tonight), being someone who has never even fired a gun before? Are there any tricks, or is it all practice?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I've only ever shot clays twice, so I won't try to tell you how to hit them, but I'll give you a bit of advice I wish someone had ensured was drilled into my head - make certain that gun's securly into your shoulder :D
    First time out, shot at 20 clays. 19 were fine, and on the 20th, the gun had come forward a centimetre or so by the time I pulled the trigger, and I caught the recoil right on the collar bone. Ow :( Carried that bruise for a good month!

And enjoy it, clay pigeon shooting is (okay, can't say a blast, that's too much of a pun, can't say it's a barrel of fun, same reason...) lots of fun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Flattop 15

Enjoy it first of all.Dont expect to kill a straight twenty first time out.Only advice I can give you is when you are taking a crossing shot,swing in the hips ,and lead the clay roughly by a shotgun bead length.Hard to explain in words,easier to explain in reality when shooting.And as Sparks said make sure you have the butt in tight to the shoulder.Go get em! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

So, I'm back. I took thirty-six shots, and hit twenty-two. A hit ratio of about 64%, the best of the four of us that went. My shoulder hurs! Thanks for the tips.

Advertisement