Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Combat Spam

• 25-04-2001 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

Having a speicified moderator for trolls could be a good way to combat spam.

Posts in Trolls don't get added onto your post count is another.

Or maybe give people a certain amount of posts thatthey can use per month, say, 40 and if you wish to post once your 30 is up it will cost you 2p!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

won't help ... afaik with ubb deleted posts don't get taken off your post count ...

what they could do how ever ... is where the increments the post count ... simply put in an if statment before hand ...
    if ($forumname eq 'trolls') {}
    else { $posts++ }

or summit like that ... but that won't solve the problem

as they will just move to other boards and start spamming there ... I use humanities as an example there is some spam getting in there now. how ever one thing would be ... anybody who is spamming ... just make their post count negative, consider it a penality ... might make them spam more ... but there is no fool proof solution to spam ... the world is trying to find one and no luck yet frown.gif

trolls is /dev/null/ it can't have a moderator, the only people who want to be mod there are just wanting it so they can be a moderator and pretend to be l33+ like the other mods, personally I think the presence of trolls as Promoted Spam more than anything. it was created with spam in mind wasn't it? I know the admins don't want to delete all the posts ... that just confused people when post disappear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I think they should go through who posts the most on Trolls, then turn thier name bright pink on the left hand side.

Only reason I would want mod for Trolls is because I would delete most of the crap there and then after that randomly delete in such a way to annoy intentional trollers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

They way I look at it aint the trolls where all the crap gets put so like its the bin .

like I said /dev/null/

the is dozens of options ... but what would stop spam?

like trolls could be set so nobody outside of mods +admins can post on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

if ($forumname eq 'trolls') { $posts-- }
    else { $posts++ }

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I think anyone who goes over a certain amount of posts on Trolls in a month should have a forced "spam" avatar. Also posts should not be added to post count if its possible some way smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Crash&Burn:
    They way I look at it aint the trolls where all the crap gets put so like its the bin .</font>

Yes, but I've seen some of the Trolls regulars try to get other threads moved to Trolls or post Trollish posts in other forums.
    Intentional or maybe all they can do is post crap... I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

wright ...

what you could do , is for the admins to find out the member number and got to the folder where UBB stores these. and you can decrease the number by hand .

i don't think people should pay that much attention to post numbers.

also you could just disable someone account for a few days that would piss them off a tad ... i know it would work for me ... but then agian i don't like posting that much .

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    Yes, but I've seen some of the Trolls regulars try to get other threads moved to Trolls or post Trollish posts in other forums.
    Intentional or maybe all they can do is post crap... I don't know.

</font>

Hobbes ... maybe they are trying to build a nest :-) collecting bits and pieces :-)

Advertisement