Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 2 - First Impressions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The game itself is good, but the ingame browser (and menus overall really) is so bad it makes you want to give up and do something else. It's so so so so so awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Great , I cant play it online yet but I'm still having great crack. The menus and start up video werent great. Nam had a cool one with foryunate son in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I bought the game yesterday and still getting to grips with what is happening.. I am running it at 1600x1200 with every at full whack and I am getting great framerates..

The main criticisms I have is the menu's and lack of widescreen options... I have also got extremely used to playing CS:S and not using CD's. Speaking of which, is their a No CD crack that allows you to play online with your CD key..

It's a bit early yet I'd imagine for them. Also , what about the so called unbreakable data protection on the cd ? Wouldnt that make it impossible?

I don't know to be honest.. But i am starting to get very annoyed with swapping between GTA: SA and BF2 CDs all the time... Stupid no cd crack wont work with GTA :(

• Advertisement

Buy a second dvd drive , it'll only set you back a few yo-yos. Thats what we've got here and its really handy for other stuff too.

Laptop...

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

... usb?

besides the menu's i was pleasently pleased

im gonna buy the game today or monday!

Holy crap , your laptop must rock... full detail , good framerates - how much did that set you back ?

1,938 :)

Dell XPS2, 2.0GHz Centrino, 2GB Ram, 256mb Nvidia 6800Go Ultra.... :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I don't know to be honest.. But i am starting to get very annoyed with swapping between GTA: SA and BF2 CDs all the time... Stupid no cd crack wont work with GTA :(
    get the hoodlum crack...
    *btw i did legally buy the game admin*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

jesus_thats_gre
    I'm unsure about BF2 and No-CD's working on multiplayer but for single player its No-CD works fine!

Jakkass wrote:
    get the hoodlum crack...
    *btw i did legally buy the game admin*

Everyone loves cracks ;)

I tried this but it is not working for me.. anywayz back on topic...

BF2 is fun..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

My first impressions are good, menu's could have been better and i'd like to be able to have a sceenname, not the account name, i also thought there would be more levels in single player and tht there would be a "campaign" lik in bf1942, i havent played for too long so plaese inform me if im wrong. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Down with this sort of thing!

kdjac

BF2 rag doll physics -
    Seem slightly exxagerated at first . But then you get a running headshot with the m24 and watch the guy bowl over backwards. BF2 is fun.
    Its also fun to watch bodies go flying in artillery strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

first impressions would be that public server play without people ye know is just plain crap, the level of team work the game requires now means that i find those games boring/frustrating...

But games with people ye know acting like a proper team are just deadly...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Geeat game ! one tip when your requesting an artillary strike ! DONT FORGET TO LEAVE the area !!

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 El Boot

First impressions?

Terrible. A step backwards.

- Stupidly resource hungry. This is going to exclude a lot of people.

- Play on ranked servers to unlock weapons? Dumbest idea since Greedo shooting first.

- The interminably slow server browser. Spending ten minutes looking for a game because the menu system is slow is rediculous. At worst, this would take about one minute in Vietnam.

- No Bots in LAN multiplayer. Unforgivable mistake.

- 16 player maps only in single player? Daft.

- Buggy as hell. Random crashes and lockups all over the gaff. When it takes ten minutes to find a bloody game in the first place, this is incrediby annoying.

- The manual (as usual) is embarrassingly bad, probably because they want you to pay for the "Strategy Guide" (AKA the stuff that should have just been in the manual)

I can forgive a lot for a game I enjoyed as much as the battlefield series, but this, this is just rubbish. The cruellest part being that I bought it in Smyths, and they will not allow returns.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

- Play on ranked servers to unlock weapons? Dumbest idea since Greedo shooting first.

I couldn't care less myself. I'm not a points hog and I've seen the weapons that you get when unlocked and they aren't all that special...
    - The interminably slow server browser. Spending ten minutes looking for a game because the menu system is slow is rediculous. At worst, this would take about one minute in Vietnam.

To be fixed in the first patch. Also ASE support being added.
    - No Bots in LAN multiplayer. Unforgivable mistake.

Start a single player game. Have the other players on the LAN to go to MULTIPLAYER -> JOIN INTERNET. Click the JOIN IP button. Enter the local LAN IP address of machine running he singleplayer game.
    - 16 player maps only in single player? Daft.

Easy to modify in config file. Yeah I know it's not standard but it only takes a few seconds to get more than 16.
    - Buggy as hell. Random crashes and lockups all over the gaff. When it takes ten minutes to find a bloody game in the first place, this is incrediby annoying.

Not always a fault of the game as opposed to the system it's installed on you know...
    - The manual (as usual) is embarrassingly bad, probably because they want you to pay for the "Strategy Guide" (AKA the stuff that should have just been in the manual)

Indeed it's a piece of crap but at least there are excellent forums for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 El Boot

Ok, I'm grumpy enough today, I'll argue back ;)
    Sorry but with the amount of cheaters out there it has to be this way. The servers temselves are usually pretty full though so come play on TiG !

TiG servers seemed to be full all the time, although the crappy server browser doesn't help with this. I bought the game to play and enjoy, not to spend time unlocking stuff. I don't understand what cheaters have to do with it though.
    To be fixed in the first patch. Also ASE support being added.

Well thats sod-all use. I thought the idea of patching was to fix problems the developers missed. Did they think that menu system was fine or something? I work for a software developer. If we sent out software with such glaring bugs and without the word "BETA" in big letters our clients would hand us our asses.
    Start a single player game. Have the other players on the LAN to go to MULTIPLAYER -> JOIN INTERNET. Click the JOIN IP button. Enter the local LAN IP address of machine running he singleplayer game.
    Easy to modify in config file. Yeah I know it's not standard but it only takes a few seconds to get more than 16
    Thanks for that. I'll give it a go. In fairness though, not exactly straightforward is it?
    Not always a fault of the game as opposed to the system it's installed on you know...

Im running an Athlon 64, 1gb crucial low latency ram, an audigy and an ATI 9800 XT. All drivers up to date. Its stable in every other game I run (and I run a lot). I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say its not my system.
    Indeed it's a piece of crap but at least there are excellent forums for the info.

Yep, I'm an internet baby, I can go and look stuff up. I shouldnt have to though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

The in game menu is sucks and logging into an account server takes centuries...

Gameplay is excellent imo... I never really got into any of the games before until this one but its very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Played the demo online for the 1st time last night and really enjoyed it. Can see how potentialy brilliant a game it could be with proper squads and tactics. Have to say that for a public server it wasnt too bad. Mind you i was my first time playing a tactical team based game like that other than CS.
    Might have to buy the full game but think it might be uninstalled and destroyed by my gf if it keeps me up till 3a.m. every night.
    One question though. How do you change your respawn point? Got stuck on the carrier for aaaages last night.
    oh and the menu doth sucketh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Ponster wrote:
    Linky?

In particular I'd like to know what you need to do to get each medal (list http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=272333). So essentially what gives you Army Combat Rating, Combat Proficiency etc etc

There are a lot of forums out there with info but this place has pretty much everything....

http://www.shackbattles.com/wiki/index.php/Battlefield_2

Their points system section may answer your questions....

For me the menu system is slow but I couldn't really care too much (I use ASE to note down IP addresses and enter theù manually) but the fact that I don't have a section to record favourites and that it returns servers with a ping of 0 is crap.

I have a Athlon 64, 1gb crucial low latency ram, and a GeForce 9800 with Win64 and it's running very nice indeed though some people have had to drop their gfx settings down to medium to get it running properly. Then you can adjust the settings one by one until you have the best custom display.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

Some people are using the squads as a way to see there friends easier.

Got in a few which had some really good T/W going, but 2 over the weekend where just a joke, leader wasnt giving any orders, I followed them around anyway (all 2 of them) after a few minutes of covering there asses, they leave the squad and creat another one :rolleyes: ah well let em die.

And one where I got kicked, because they didnt want ppl who arent there friends playing with them, seen a few others being kicked too, so not just me :D

I have to say Ive been fortunate enough to only have 1 crash so far.

my biggest complaint is the TiG servers being full :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

El Boot wrote:
    . I bought the game to play and enjoy, not to spend time unlocking stuff.
    Nearly every game you buy you need to spend time playing the game to unlock stuff.
    El Boot wrote:
    - Stupidly resource hungry. This is going to exclude a lot of people.
    The game is based areound huge and detailed maps, you can't got away with out using alot of resources

El Boot wrote:
    Im running an Athlon 64, 1gb crucial low latency ram, an audigy and an ATI 9800 XT. All drivers up to date. Its stable in every other game I run (and I run a lot). I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say its not my system.
    I am yet to have this game crash on me. Me and three of my friend were playing it online all day Saturday, not one of us crashed.

-Al- wrote:
    my biggest complaint is the TiG servers being full :p

Become a member of their forum to find the addresses of their other ranked servers that aren't full :)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

servers so theres more than just the other one??

cause the same ip but with port 8 is full alot of the time aswell.

• Advertisement

I saw that 's' and considered getting rid of it :)

Naa I was counting the demo too.

16567, 16568 and the demo :)

Advertisement