Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 2 - First Impressions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

ah right.

they should do like some sites do, where you can buy a reserved slot, if they dont already.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Yeah I'd be pretty happy to pay a little to play on a ranked server with people who seem to know what they're doing, whenever I wanted to....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

I was so happy when i went through all my regualar forums today and read the thoughts on bf2. :)
    Replace css??, i think not!
    This game is ripe with bugs, a lot of people are complaining a about lag, the browser is still crap, the ranking system just does not work as it should and finding a decent server with good players who no wat they are doing is short of impossible.
    I will be sticking with good old cs until they can sort this unfinished game out. How could they even think if shipping with a browser like that, :eek: , rushed is an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I have been playing the game all morning and it is by far the most frustrating experience I have ever had in my life...

The menu syster is a disgrace and I refuse to play it until it is resolved!! I have a 6800 Ultra and am having a bit of a time trying to optimise the frame rate. It is extremely frustrating having to exit out of the game just to chance a graphics settings..

Killing people also seems to be extremely difficult. Normally I would blame myself but I am good at all other FPSs so I dont know what to think anymore..

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Nearly every game you buy you need to spend time playing the game to unlock stuff.
    True, but those games also have a decent single player option - unlike BF2 and the string of unrelated maps which don't even unlock weapons for you. BF:V didn't have the locks so why does BF2?

The slow map loading is an absolute killer.

It has great potential, but there are some basic things that are qrong (menu interface etc.) that should have been fixed before it reached the general public.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 El Boot

Personally, I'd struggle to even call the current release a BETA.

Anyone reminded of Tribes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Apart from the game sucking the life out of my pc (low detail with a 2600xp 1 gig of ram and a 9800pro! ffs) im happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Why dont you use daemon tools. Rip the image and mount it on a virtual drive. works great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Bought this on the weekend. Not impressed.

Game is unplayable at 1024x768@85 hz, all medium and 2xaa.
    I have P4 2.8, 1 gig OCZ ram and 9800 pro.

When I say 'unplayable', what I mean is it becomes soooooo ssooooo frustrating watching the game load over and over and over as you change one graphics setting ingame. That, coupled with the 50/50 chance that it actually logs in. On top of all this, in game its frustrating to see the game jump, stutter and fart all over my screen - I just Quit the game, cursing the moment I ever thought of double clicking the Battlefield 2 icon.

Absoloutly the largest piece of shyte Ive ever seen. The worse thing is that I know Im deffo not on my own on this. Wel done EA, we dont mind, cant wait to download your 500mb + patch whenever its released. :rolleyes:
    Ive formatted my pc, updated all drivers and still no performance increase.

In fairness, considering that this is one of the biggest multiplayer games released recently, surley they would have done their homework on this. Why make half or more of their BF2 gamers sad when they could have made us happy. Sob.

I honestly cant remember when I bought a game with that much anticipation and in the end have so much dissapointment.

PANTS!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Turn off the AA and it should be alot smoother. Either that or turn down some of the settings.

• Advertisement

Tbh, without aa and low settings, whats the point. I know the framerate will get better but I refuse to accept that. No freakin way EA.

Or maybe I have to accept the fact that I need an upgrade. I think Im gonna hold out for a patch. Apart from the fact that the menuis a big lump of muck, is there anything they can do for us who are struggling graphically? Or do we have to resort to low and possibly medium graphics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Loobz wrote:

Or maybe I have to accept the fact that I need an upgrade.

Your card is 3 years old , the game is 5 days, there some logic in there.
    Turn off AA, Geometry and Lighting to Low, its all your card can handle.

kdjac

TBH AA on a 9800 is wishful thinking. Any future patchs/drivers should give minor performance increases, but don't expect a miracle.

Right, thats it. Im off to buy a 7800 GTX :p

:rolleyes: . I new the unhappy customers would start coming out the woodwork. This game is flawed. Those trying to defend it are just trying to justify the money they spent ;) . I hope with all mmy heart that patches sort all this out quickly as im not playing till they do. I still cant understand how they could ship to the public with the browser in that state. Its unforgivable!!!
    Also my system is not great but its not crap!!
    I have a P4 3.0ghz
    1gb ddr2 ram
    Gigabyte Mobo
    Geforce 5900 256mb
    And all is cooled very well with heatpipes on the gpu, zalman on the cpu and about 6 other fans.
    Why cant i at least play on medium settings? I have to play on all low and then i get around 40fps :eek: .
    I got latest drivers yada, yada, yada ......................

BF2%202005-06-28%2021-35-27-08.jpgBF2%202005-06-28%2021-31-55-85.jpg

Settings on my pc and effect , EAX turned off sound set to software.

Odd your pcs is kinda better than mine and its runs like a dream for me.

2400Xp
    1.5GB 2700
    9800XT
    Sata

kdjac

Athlon 1800+, 1gb ram and 9700 (NP) and is perfectly playable all on medium.

I think its your computer, not the game ;)

EDIT: LIGHTNING you really need 1gb+ ram for this game

Endurance Man your graphics card is what is holding you back.

42fps unaccaptable? :confused:

LIGHTNING wrote:
    What annoys me is the amount of keyboard warriors who think thatyou need the latest graphics card and more ram to run each new game.

But you do need a decent pc to play the latest games, its the cost of playing them.

Bf2 mostly has been running superbly for most ppl in here one or 2 with issues but more often its running fine.

my pc was for Doom 3 and Hl2 getting Bf2 out of it was a bonus but it needs an upgrade before end of summer. Only problem i have with Bf2 is the menu and ingame bugs that are game related not performance, i ahve a choice of geometry on high or AA, i chose AA.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Loobz wrote:
    Right, thats it. Im off to buy a 7800 GTX :p

lol only 10% better than a 6800 Ultra !! :-) tomshardware !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

LIGHTNING wrote:
    The cost of playing them? So when does it end? When Unreal 2007 comes out will we need an upgrade and then another upgrade for each sequel? I understand that you do need a decent PC to play modern games but my point is that if the people making the games did their jobs properly we wouldnt be needing such upgrades.

Its sloppy programming, if doom3 can run on a xbox (granted with some tweaks to it) which is a very dated piece of hardware in PC terms then battlefield should be running no problem.

Think they call it "progression"........... relax m8 its just a PC game ! upgrade or turn down your settings !

LIGHTNING wrote:
    The cost of playing them? So when does it end? When Unreal 2007 comes out will we need an upgrade and then another upgrade for each sequel? I understand that you do need a decent PC to play modern games but my point is that if the people making the games did their jobs properly we wouldnt be needing such upgrades.

Its sloppy programming, if doom3 can run on a xbox (granted with some tweaks to it) which is a very dated piece of hardware in PC terms then battlefield should be running no problem.

It never ends , tbh perfect for you.

kdjac

Upgrading PC will never end, just like new more powerful consoles releases will continue. This is the way PC gaming has always been, without these there would be very little graphical ugrades or gameplay changes (physics interaction) between games.

You can't compare a PC and Xbox. The Xbox has single hardware setup that game makers can program for.

Granted my gpu is not great, but i find it hard to grasp that i could play hl2, which graphically is far better than this, on high settings? Am i missing something? :confused:

Hl2 loads a section of a level with preset objects , Bf2 loads an entire map with possible 64 players and objects flying about.

Its a hell of a lot more for your pc to do, didnt Hl2 have a massive stuttering bug when it 1st came out? 90 % of players had an awful stutter just after a section of a map loaded.

kdjac

The only difference between the demo and the full game is there are more maps, weapons etc in full game. Do games developers use demos as a way to get any bugs out of the final release? Seems like a logical approach. They could have fixed the menu at least. Ive seen warnings saying the demo does not reflect the performance of the final game etc, not in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I just spent 300 euro on a 6800gt from jes.de for BF2 and it god damn better run on high at 40-60 fps when i get it or Dice will have a rather pissed off irish man to deal with

Its just not the same on low tbh :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

3.2ghz machine here with a Radeon X800XL and 2 gigs of ram, and it's all nice and smooth at all settings High and 4x AA :)

Also, this game kicks some serious ass, flying around in a Blackhawk with a squad who know what they're doing, it's the most fun I've had on a computer in about two years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Loobz wrote:
    Do games developers use demos as a way to get any bugs out of the final release? Seems like a logical approach. They could have fixed the menu at least.

In this case they told us that the demo was a demo of the final version, and not a beta. A lot of the time the demo comes out after the full version goes gold.

I honestly think that the menu problem wasn't noticed before it went gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Hmm, the game is quite good. The squad Idea is much better, as is the commander/artillery idea.
    I still prefer Joint Ops though. The maps are larger and the vehicles less unwieldy.
    Snipers have proper weapons too, not just a single zoom, it has 2x, 8x, and 16x. As well as height and range adjustments. I wish that could be brought in, the snipers are incredibly difficult in BF2

Advertisement