Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 2 - First Impressions

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 El Boot

Well, that ASE support workaround has fixed one of my major gripes, the server browser.

The game is still bug riddled though. Crashes to desktop all the time on the most stable machine I have ever owned, and I keep getting done for teamkilling people who appear as red in the game.

It has great potential but the cons outweigh the pros at the moment.

Any word on when EA are planning to finish the game (AKA "patch" it)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

El Boot wrote:
    Well, that ASE support workaround has fixed one of my major gripes, the server browser.

The game is still bug riddled though. Crashes to desktop all the time on the most stable machine I have ever owned, and I keep getting done for teamkilling people who appear as red in the game.

It has great potential but the cons outweigh the pros at the moment.

Any word on when EA are planning to finish the game (AKA "patch" it)?

I have never actually played on the USMC side, so I dont know if the colors swap. Is it red for the bad guys only, or are USMC always red?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The workaround for the colour swap bug is the ESC back to menu and then ESC back to the game. It's fixed it the 4/5 times I've come across it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Jumpy wrote:
    I have never actually played on the USMC side, so I dont know if the colors swap. Is it red for the bad guys only, or are USMC always red?

Red for the bad guys, Found this out last night when i killed 3 of my own when i started playing as the arabs for the 1st time. Couldnt tell the difference in uniform till i repsawned beside them.

I'm going to try lowering the detail and upping the resolution tonight. its too hard to make out other players otherwise. especially at a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

joint ops is good, but sometimes had terrible lag on the big 150 player servers. bit more realistic than bf 2. bf 2 still looks better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

bizmark wrote:
    I just spent 300 euro on a 6800gt from jes.de for BF2 and it god damn better run on high at 40-60 fps when i get it or Dice will have a rather pissed off irish man to deal with

Its just not the same on low tbh :(

You'll be fine bizmark. I have a 6800 gt and 2 gigs of crosair ram, FPS is usually around the 30 to 60. Turned a few things completley off and they shot to to 60 to 70. Think i turned dynamic shadows completley off amd i never really noticed the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

I'm very impressed with this game, more of the same + more = winner.

BF1942 was a winning recipe, they kept it, and just added more to do, pure genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'm enjoying the demo quite a lot, and may even go out and buy it to get the full monty.

anyone know how the full game is going top run on a P4 3Ghz 1gb RAM & a radeon 9600 pro 128mb?

the demo runs okay, but there's been talk of the full game being a bit funny about running well on medium specced machines.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

vibe666 wrote:
    anyone know how the full game is going top run on a P4 3Ghz 1gb RAM & a radeon 9600 pro 128mb?

Check out his page for some info.

http://www.shackbattles.com/wiki/index.php/BF2:Will_my_system_run_BF2%3F

You'll have no problems playing it but maybe not with all settings on HIGH.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

i run bf 2 on amd 64 3200, 1gb of ram and a 256mb 6800gt and it runs fine. as for hl 2 ithad the worst lag i have every seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Ponster wrote:

Thats a good guide. Thanks. Just wondering what graphics settings are most resource hungry. AA would have a big impact. Its a little frustrating having to change each setting individually to see what will happen when the game loads next time... if it logs in.

Is there any way to speed up the load time... 5-8 minutes for me per map. And its the verrifying client files part that takes the longest for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Jumpy wrote:
    Is there any way to speed up the load time... 5-8 minutes for me per map. And its the verrifying client files part that takes the longest for me.

Defrag your C drive and it does make a difference !! :-) trust me !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Yea i concur with above, de-frag and you'll see a huge dfference. Altough one gig of ram is also perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I was suprised at the loading time decrease when I defraged, although it had been a long time since I did one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I defragged about 3 days ago, maybe I should have done some actual tests but it doesn't seem to have made too much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭fightin snr

if the c: drive was fragmented this would help alright with load times,but I`m having a similiar problem.......the game loads to 100% within a minute then can take anything up to 3 mins to load to spawn screen(verifying client data),by the time I get in some of the flags are already on the way to being capped.
    btw I`m using a gig of ddr Ram :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Server client part seems to be server controlled ie your waiting on the server, loading maps the biggest killer is geometry 1st map load takes under a munite for me then 15 to 20 seconds for everyone after that on TIG servers and IOL server client is a few seconds.

There has been a Punkbuster update so last 2 days may be longer server cleint verifying a little longer.

kdjac

if the c: drive was fragmented this would help alright with load times,but I`m having a similiar problem.......the game loads to 100% within a minute then can take anything up to 3 mins to load to spawn screen(verifying client data),by the time I get in some of the flags are already on the way to being capped.
    btw I`m using a gig of ddr Ram :rolleyes:

Yep, thats the problem alright.
    Except its more like 5 minutes for me.

Advertisement