Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PRS Guitars, Worth the Money???

• 26-06-2005 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I was in music maker and they kept goin on about how sweet PRS guitars are, yet dont really want you to play them!!!!

Are they worth there crazy 3000+ price tags.

Also are they any good when used with distortion, i'm not looking for Zakk Wylde heavy, but it would be nice to know I can do it if I want.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

They're not if you pay €3000 for one. However, if you use your noggin and use ebay wisely or visit good people like Chris you could sort yourself out with a nice one for less than €1500. Personally, I'd say you should check out Patrick Eggle guitars, based in England. In my mind they make better guitars than PRS but without the hype so you can pick them up for less second hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I played an Berlin Pro a while back. I didn't dig the ebony fretboard. I prefer rosewood. That's just personal preference though They ain't pretty either IMHO but they do sound good! Had a nice trem too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

Doctor J wrote:
    They're not if you pay €3000 for one. However, if you use your noggin and use ebay wisely or visit good people like Chris you could sort yourself out with a nice one for less than €1500. Personally, I'd say you should check out Patrick Eggle guitars, based in England. In my mind they make better guitars than PRS but without the hype so you can pick them up for less second hand.
    I pretty much agree. New in Dublin PRS are a rip off. Not worth it by a long shot. i have a perfect 2001 PRS Custom 22 10 top birds. I got it for about €1500 (including shipping and tax) few months ago of Chris. He is good to buy off, no complaints at all.

I owned a Patrick Eggle for a couple of yaers. They make great guitars. I wouldn't say they are better though. They are both equally good makers. If I had the choice though I'd go for an Eggle as they are cheaper than PRS generally. It really depends on what you want. Chris currently has a Patrick Eggle Single on his website.. now if that was there when I was buying my PRS I may well have gone for it. Its a great guitar.

The exchange rate was amazing when I bought my guitar but buying used in the US is still cheap. I'd say try to find a good used Eggle or Framus in the EU for the best value. There is a great Framus Tennesse going on Ebay.de at the moment which is going for about 700 euro or so which would be really good to get.

PRS have this reputation of being beyond most budgets but if you shop around they can be had for under a grand even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

you could always go for an SE version - they come to about €600 new from thomann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Meh, if i was going for a PRS i'd get the full thing. IMO buying an SE is like buying an Epiphone

• Advertisement

buying an SE is like buying an Epiphone

whys that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

SE' s are far better quality than epi's ( i do like epi's tho)

Forget the Korea thing for a moment and the SE range feel basically the same as a regular PRS.

They are essentailly forigen made PRS's with out the flash wood and the hardware. Its like the Jap strat thing, good functional guitars made in very low labor cost countries.

Set one up properly and swap out the pick ups (stock ones are pretty nice though, far better than epi's) and you'd be hard pressed to get a better guitar for the same money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Korean is the new Japan. Seriously though, the quality of Korean guitars is great at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

juno75 wrote:
    SE' s are far better quality than epi's...
    ...the SE range feel basically the same as a regular PRS.

I've played SE PRS and agree fully. The Santana SE and the Soapbar SE are really so much nicer than Epiphone stuff. They really are good. They are of the standard of Fender Japan, Tokai and Blade maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

I meant that... SE to PRS is like Epi to Gibson. But yes, i have been impressed by the SE series... Namely the soapbar. But why spend €600 on an SE when you can get a PRS for $950 on chrisguitars i think, saw it yesterday. Nasty sunburst finish on a plain maple top though.

• Advertisement

If you can get a used PRS for €950 then surely you can find a secondhand SE for €300 ? You cant really compare the new price of an SE to the used price of a full blown PRS.

Anyway I think the main message of this thread is dont buy a PRS from MusicMaker or any other Irish shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

Anyway I think the main message of this thread is dont buy a PRS from MusicMaker or any other Irish shop.

Wisdom is those words :cool:

Advertisement