Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

XP Pro and XP Home problem

• 26-06-2005 9:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭

Ok, ive been having trouble with my laptop recently. It came up with the screen saying that "A previous boot was unsuccessful" what way would i like to boot up, Safe Mode, Safe Mode with...... etc etc.

So i pick any option there and it tries to boot up, but fails. It just sticks.

So i go looking for my XP Home disc but cant find it. I did find XP Pro. So i tried to run the repair thingie, but got nowhere. I ended up installing XP Pro.

Now i have a lot of stuff in my folders so i decided to install Pro as a second OS, not overwriting the original or formatting. I had password protected my files and folders from other users in the original XP Home install, but didnt think it would carry over to the XP Pro install, or would prompt me for a password.

Unfortunately that is not the case and my original user folder is now denying me access.

Anyone got any thoughts for getting access to them? Appart from getting a copy of XP Home and trying to repair the original installation, i cant see how i'll get access.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Passworded files - do you mean each file has a individual password like word/excel docs, in which case the password in the file will remain unchanged.

Or do you mean Encrypted NTFS where the folder is passworded (green text) ?
    because if so you can't get in without the original password,
    did you make a recovery disk at any stage ?

If it isn't encrypted then you should be able to take ownership of the folder, and then change the permissions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

so basically you have stuff in your my documents off your old Home Edition (c:\documents and settings\administrator.001) for example, so when you click the folder it says "Access is Denied"

Thats NTFS Encription, im not sure that you can acctually get into that folder without somehow repairing your previous windows installation, but even then i think it creates a new set of documents and settings folders and renames the old ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

sorry about the confusion.

I changed the user properties so that only my user and user's of a specific group (admin group) could access the folders.

the original folder is still there, the new installation made new folders (c:\documents and settings\user.COMPUTERNAME)

Yeah i had thought that it was NTFS permissions alright. Here's the big problem, i'm in sydney, and no one i know has XP Home, and i aint paying someone to touch my lapper, i have a feckin Computer Systems degree for christ sake!!! :p

cheers for the replies lads

Advertisement