Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering

• 26-06-2005 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

So , whats it like, have it down on the cao 1st choice, havin trouble choosing between engineering in ucd or trinity. Anyone know which course would be better? No bias!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

I had originally put down Eng. in UCD on my CAO but never got a B3 in maths so i ended up going to Trinity.

I am delighted now tough, right in the centre of the city, imajine having to commute to belfield.

I suppose it depends on where u live but if i had of gone to UCD i know i would never have made it to college, even less than i have now.

For the course in Trinity its not too hard but hard to do well in and its good crack most of the time.

I liked it anyway, my final results are out tomor so we'll see!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

i think one of the benefits associtated with trinity engineering is that it's undemonianated until 3rd year. so if you don't know whether it's civil,electrical or mechanical engineering you want to study, in trinity you'll get an introduction to them.

they do have similar things to this in ucd but not quite as broad.

other than trinity's location and the generalness of the degree, i can't tell you and other pluses or minuses, probably because i don't do engineering. lots of ppl on ucd and tcd boards do though, so i hope they give some objective advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Jim_No.6

JS Engineer here! {Or, hopefully I will be, as of one week from now}

The TCD course is good, but if you know what you're going for, I'd pick UCD. I didn't have a clue personally, and I'm glad I put TCD #1.

Hmm... Can't think of much to say really... Do you have any more specific questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭HomesickAlien

not knowing what kind of engineering i wanted to do is one of the reasons i picked trinners (still dont goin into JS year).

seems like a good course but be prepared for a lot of new stuff.

Ah yeah, knew I was meant to throw something up. You've probably researched this yourself already, but here's the engineering homepage anyways: http://www.tcd.ie/Engineering/Courses/BAI/index.html

By doing Engineering, you get two degrees. One is a B.A. which you are entitled to after 3rd year, the other is a B.A.I. The B.A. is a pass degree in Mathematics.

Everyone else has pretty much summed up the course. You do a general two years, then decide what you want to do. Homesick Alien, you have to make a decision in May of next year which course you want to do...but that doesn't matter. If you throw down Electrical and decide to do Civil Engineering, you will more then likely be accommodated within the class. There's a good degree of flexibility within the faculty which I like.

Homesick Alien touched on a good point...don't come into college thinking you'll fly through it...college is supposed to be a challenge, and in order to fly through the challenge, a bit of work is required. Some subjects I should have aced in first year I didn't put much time into, and had to repeat. First year is generally seen as a waking up period...you can arse about all year and cram towards the end, but that doesn't necessarily work in 2nd and 3rd year for everyone.

Anyways, going off the subject really. Best of luck with your LC results, as well as your choices. I'm going into 4th year Engineering (sometime in the future), and do enjoy the broad aspects of what I'm doing (Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Jim_No.6

/me starts wondering who HomesickAlien is

Are you another of us CD folks? Or could you possible be the only "D" person? G'wan - hints plz! ;)

But yeah... I'm hoping my last-minute cramming paid off...! :rolleyes:

Actually: Have you gotten the Maths degree yet (or do you get it on leaving?)

Jim_No.6 wrote:
    Are you another of us CD folks? Or could you possible be the only "D" person? G'wan - hints plz! ;)

Heh, losers.
    Actually: Have you gotten the Maths degree yet (or do you get it on leaving?)

Nah they can confer early it to you for special reasons (like if you drop out after 3rd year), otherwise you get it chucked in with your B.A.I.

Advertisement