Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a rat poison that works

• 26-06-2005 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

I have got some (rat kill) poision from chadwicks but I dont think it is anygood,
    anyone know of one that works.

Thanks. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

cranoo wrote:
    I have got some (rat kill) poision from chadwicks but I dont think it is anygood,
    anyone know of one that works.

Thanks. :D

"Storm" made by BASF always worked fine for me. The effectiveness of any poison depends on how bad the problem is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,182 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

the good stuff wont have any effect for about 10 days, you dont want the rats to die right beside the poison, it serves as a warning to the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Forget poison, If you have pets or have regular visits from the neighbours pets, It will level any pets if they eat Storm although i have heard of pets (dogs) that is surving an Endorats poison encounter it is a grainy type purple stuff. The best thing i find is traps i have killed 3 rats recently with this trap i got it for €4 in my local hardware shop not of Ebay. I just used ebay to show you it. It is tricky to set and be careful as it will break fingers ! I tied a cocktail sausage onto the Cheese part and it killed 3 rats well it broke ones snout and he lid down next to it and i finished him with a hurley. My Terrier dog also killed a few. Traps and a terreir are a great combination only keep the trap away where rover can't get at them. I have one rat still to get and every night at midnight i go to my garage armed with my hurley and a flash light and i root them out and my dog trys to get em. Nothing kills a rat better than a hurley.

Regards netwhizkid

netwhizkid wrote:
    It is tricky to set and be careful as it will break fingers ! I tied a cocktail sausage onto the Cheese part and it killed 3 rats well it broke ones snout and he lid down next to it and i finished him with a hurley....Nothing kills a rat better than a hurley.
    Regards netwhizkid
    Beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

Storm is a anti-coagulant ie it stops blood clotting and the rat dies from internal bleeding. Also as a result of the internal bleeding the rat feel thirsty and will if inside seek out a water source with is usually outside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Originally Posted by shamrok
    Beautiful.

Yes it is, My number of rats have have deceased while feeding on the big cheese is now 6, my latest yesterday evening at 10pm. I caught him by tail and he dragged the trap under my lawnmower and stayed there, my terreir finished him off ! It is surprisingly effecient, although letal ! It nearly took my thumb off so watch out. I'd recommend using a stick to hold up the plate while you insert the piece that holds the springed snapper down. It has nearly cleared out this vermin from my garage. Only about 2 more to go

Regards netwhizkid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

netwhizkid wrote:
    Nothing kills a rat better than a hurley.

or a pitchfork

Screw a piece of wire to the trap and fix it somewhere so that you can keep him out in the open for a better belt with the hurley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I've used traps and poison. I'd opt for traps every time, though they are a bugger to set and fray your nerves. The poison (Storm) has killed them all right, but they twice decided to lay down and die inside the house. Retrieveing a decaying rat from under the joists under the stairs is a job I don't intend doing again.
    Touch wood - haven't had any furry visitors in a couple of years now.

alastair wrote:
    The poison (Storm) has killed them all right, but they twice decided to lay down and die inside the house. Retrieveing a decaying rat from under the joists under the stairs is a job I don't intend doing again.

That is a common problem alright. I just assumed the first poster had an outside problem. A rotting rat or mouse in an inaccessible place is no joke alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

u can put poison in container with small hole entrance on it to stop your dog eating it,nail it or secure it firmly down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

a dry mix of hardwall and bran. Bran maken them thirsty and then the hardwall sets when they have a little drink. works a treat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Old thread - new rats! Am doing up an old house and sleeping there during the week. Two rats downstairs ...... living in the old piano. I know this because when I've disturbed them the strings sound. Room is full or clutter which is not possible to move at the moment. Put out poison a few days ago and they have only eaten a few pinches of it. I thought that may have done the trick but after returning this evening I noticed they had been at the rubbish bin. Again, the poison untouched. Any nice smelling stuff out there that will tempt them ........ or should I go the trap route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Spread wrote: »
    Old thread - new rats! Am doing up an old house and sleeping there during the week. Two rats downstairs ...... living in the old piano. I know this because when I've disturbed them the strings sound. Room is full or clutter which is not possible to move at the moment. Put out poison a few days ago and they have only eaten a few pinches of it. I thought that may have done the trick but after returning this evening I noticed they had been at the rubbish bin. Again, the poison untouched. Any nice smelling stuff out there that will tempt them ........ or should I go the trap route?

Jayzus Spread thread is 5 1/2 years old mind you got a laugh from hurley man :):)

I really don't like poison as it usually ends up killing everything else in the area as well as the rats n mice. Also you will be stunk out of it pretty soon when they crawl away and die somewhere.

Traps with Nutella or peanut butter work well in a new situation, i.e. the rats are not yet under threat.

You mentioned two rats I would hazard a guess that from what you describe, i.e. "full of clutter" - its actually rat central - more than two.

There is a thread over on Nature & Birdwatching that you may find of interest here

Thanks for the link Antiquo. Decided it's going to be a Trap, Nutella and a 3Wood. That's if I can keep myself away from the Nutella. Yumyum!

Finally they started eating the poison. They tore into it like boars into mangle-wurzels. Four nights of feasting and not a dicky bird for a couple of nights. Pulled out old piano and there they were. Tongues and into fire. Sound sleep tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You really need to block whatever way they are getting into the building, otherwise more will come. I have had success in the past with steel wool, which they don't like to chew through. It is also important to cut off any food source in the locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭topdost

Old thread ::: But wondering if anybody can tell me where can I buy Storm in South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

topdost wrote: »
    Old thread ::: But wondering if anybody can tell me where can I buy Storm in South Dublin

Woodies and b and q stock storm. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭topdost

hawkelady wrote: »
    Woodies and b and q stock storm. Good luck

Thanks have tried woodies , they dont stock ,they have the blue stuff , which is pretty useless will try B&Q

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cullcons

i am using bait blocks that have a small hole in center and i screw them to a piece of 2" x 1" batten which i then place into piece of 4"pipe and hold the batten in place with another screw inside the pipe very clever i thought until i discovered rat droppings all over the areas that i put my three pipes , the droppings were easy to spot as they are blue the same colour as the blocks my concern now is are the droppings going to harm my dog or other animals or birds or am i going back to trapping

• Advertisement
Advertisement