Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transfer from eircom to BT

• 26-06-2005 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

I have 2meg bb with eircom, I want to transfer to bt, so is there a set up fee for this depending on who at bt I speak to I get told either €50 or free and also how much downtime will there be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

when i was moving from bt to eircom they messed around with me (BT) and would reopen the line ports for eircom for about 2 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

zap

Eircom to BT
    If you choose their line Rental + 2Mb BB then you pay €50 a month and dont have to pay an install charge.
    Without BT line rental you pay €40 a month and about €50 for installation.

Of course you will have some down time as eircom wont be too happy to see your money disappear and will probable make it a bit difficult for BT...but honestly as long as you have contacted BT and completed their transfer forms properly then I cant see a long wait ahead with no BB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

Try requesting a migration as opposed to cancelling and restarting. BT do this in the UK. Not sure if it is done here, but no harm in asking.

Downtime is usually only a few hours on a migration. Just means Eircom switch out their equipment and BT install theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

odie wrote:
    Try requesting a migration as opposed to cancelling and restarting. BT do this in the UK. Not sure if it is done here, but no harm in asking.

Downtime is usually only a few hours on a migration. Just means Eircom switch out their equipment and BT install theirs.
    It's different here in Ireland. All BT home BB goes through Eircom equipment so it's more of an administrative change than anything physical being done.
    Request a DTAF (transfer form) from BT, fill it out and send it back and BT take care of the rest. The form gives BT the authority to cancel Eircom on your behalf so you don't have to contact Eircom at all. :D
    When you contact BT sales to request the form get the name of the rep you're dealing with and put his name on the envelope. That way he get's it directly and deals with it. Plus you have a contact name if you have to call back.
    I've just changed from UTV to BT and that's the way it worked and no downtime at all :D

No downtime at all!!!!

Impressive I must say.

• Advertisement

juliuspret wrote:
    No downtime at all!!!!

Impressive I must say.
    I was impressed aswell :D BT told me on a Wednesday that I was live with them and that a modem had been dispatched. I was still online with UTV at this stage.
    Received modem on Friday,hooked it up and I went online with BT.
    My UTV username/password still worked for a couple of days after that :D
    The only little niggle was that I signed up for 2mb but my line was still set up for 1mb. Contacted them straight away and they're looking after it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

kaizersoze wrote:
    I've just changed from UTV to BT and that's the way it worked and no downtime at all :D

how long did it take? did you transfer your calls as well? Is it possible for them to do the trasnfer on a certain day i.e. the last day of my eircom billing period so my bill dosen't get messy with half the months calls with eircom and half with bt.

zap wrote:
    how long did it take? did you transfer your calls as well? Is it possible for them to do the trasnfer on a certain day i.e. the last day of my eircom billing period so my bill dosen't get messy with half the months calls with eircom and half with bt.
    From when BT received my transfer form it took around 9 working days but the say it can take up to 25. Yes I transferred all but I think the line rental takes a little longer. You could possibly transfer date but I'm not sure you'd have to ask them but I have a feeling that would complicate things even further and screw up the transfer. It might be better to put up with the messy bills for a month or so ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

how did you know at what point to stop using your utv modem and start using bt? The reason line rental takes longer is becuase they can't process a line transfer request until after the bb is transfered.

The minute the postman handed it to me, the box was opened and 3 minutes later it was hooked up :D
    I haven't used the UTV modem in ages (it was crap) so I've been using an eircom wireless router for a while and I'm back using it now on BT.
    When BT rang to tell me I was live with them I tried my BT username/password in the router but it didn't work. Thats why I set up the BT router when I got it. My mistake was that I forgot to put "@iolbb" at the end of my username :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I phoned BT on Friday and they're sending me out a DTAF and what ever other forms I need. It's reassuring to read that the process actually seems to work smoothly!

I would love to see a graph or eircom/BT/UTV BB users...numbers wise over the last 18months and see the movement of customers from one to the other.

BT must be getting a lot of transfers from eircom these days!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i transfered my phone service over from eircom to BT, i was already on the BT 3 month trial, got my service with bt 2 weeks later, but the only fault i have is my number is hidden, so when i try to call someone they dont know who i am.
    Ive to ring BT about it, just hav'nt got around to it.

Ex-Directory!!

Strange as that is normially given at an extra cost.
    I know someone with a hidden number who dosent appear in the phone book....but he was a bad bay when younger and used to get unwanted calls.

juliuspret wrote:
    Ex-Directory!!

Strange as that is normially given at an extra cost.
    I know someone with a hidden number who dosent appear in the phone book....but he was a bad bay when younger and used to get unwanted calls.

yeah thats right ex directory, i only noticed when i tried to sign up to my 100mb free web hosting service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

kaizersoze wrote:
    The only little niggle was that I signed up for 2mb but my line was still set up for 1mb. Contacted them straight away and they're looking after it :D

Kaizersoze - how are you getting through to BT support? Everytime I ring I'm on hold for ages and can't hang around for a call back. I emailed them about being on a 1Mb line instead of 2Mb and got no reply.

BT appear to be unprepared for the onslaught of calls from potential/actual customers these days.

Take your pick.....eircom's stupidity/BT's marketing genius!!!
    ...100mb free web hosting service
    Could you tell me more about this Sparky_S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Nyum Nyum wrote:
    Kaizersoze - how are you getting through to BT support? Everytime I ring I'm on hold for ages and can't hang around for a call back. I emailed them about being on a 1Mb line instead of 2Mb and got no reply.

Actually, forget what I just said. Got through after 2 minutes on hold and they will look into the problem.

OK, I popped my BT application and DSL transfer forms in the post at lunchtime.

Bye bye Eircom. Fingers crossed!

Sarsfield wrote:
    OK, I popped my BT application and DSL transfer forms in the post at lunchtime.

Bye bye Eircom. Fingers crossed!

It would be interesting to see how fast they will be in transferring you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Oh dear god no, I applied on April 4th, finally activated on Friday last June 24th. The combination of BT's ineptitude and Eircom wholesale made the whole thing a nightmare. If anything goes wrong just email pat mcabe in BT. Their Customer care are unbelievable unhelpful

pat.2.mccabe@bt.com
    Pat McCabe | Head of Consumer Sales & Service

juliuspret wrote:
    It would be interesting to see how fast they will be in transferring you.

Rest assured, I'll be providing a report right here on this thread in due course! :)

juliuspret wrote:
    BT appear to be unprepared for the onslaught of calls from potential/actual customers these days.

Take your pick.....eircom's stupidity/BT's marketing genius!!!

Could you tell me more about this Sparky_S.

heres a paste from the help site

How much webspace do I get when I register for Broadband?

Question
    How much webspace do I get when I register for Broadband?

Answer
    Customers are given 100 MB of webspace

You can register for webspace by going to the following

web address http://register.iol.ie/webspace

If you experience any difficulties registering,

please contact our Technical Support Department

This is what I got after going through the registration process:
    You appear to be experiencing some problems while entering your details. You should examine the list below to determine what caused the problem:-

(Use your Browser's "Back Button" to correct the form details)

You don't appear to be dialled in to IOL Internet Service

Is it only possible to register online if you are connected to dial-up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Julius means its possible to register for BB from anywhere but you must be connected to BT before they will give you webspace for which you must separately register.

Im using BT Broadband....the error is something to do with a dial-up connection:
    You don't appear to be dialled in to IOL Internet Service

juliuspret wrote:
    Im using BT Broadband....the error is something to do with a dial-up connection:
    Follow THIS LINK .
    According to the answer, BT BB customers must ring support to register webspace :)

Thats ridiculous!!!

Pisses me off that it cant be done online using your phone&account number.
    With that sort of system very few home customers must be using their 100MByte allocated space.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭flop

I had no downtime moving from UTV to BT.

Cheers
    Flop

• Advertisement

Nyum Nyum wrote:
    Actually, forget what I just said. Got through after 2 minutes on hold and they will look into the problem.
    My line was upgraded to 2mb today so it took about 8-9 working days to be done but at least it's done. Bear with it and quick call every couple of days just to keep them on their toes :D

Advertisement