Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transfer from eircom to BT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Thanks for the info Kaizersoze icon14.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭8track

Sarsfield wrote:
    I phoned BT on Friday and they're sending me out a DTAF and what ever other forms I need. It's reassuring to read that the process actually seems to work smoothly!

I was told by BT customer rep that I need do nothing on paper, e.g. transfer form! I applied online on 17th June. They rang me on 21st to say that some information hadn't come across properly and asked me for some details. I gave this to them and they then transferred me to a third part verification service. They read out several statements asking me to confirm that I understood them (including one about this conversation constituted an agreement or something to that effect). I rang for an update around 24th June and was told that I needed a cancellation number from Eircom for my BB trial in 2004 (! - no word of this previously), which I gave to them and it was again confirmed that I need sign nothing on paper. I've been on hold for about 20 minutes now trying to get BT customer service again for another update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i was told by a BT rep that the broadband transfer authorisation form is essential and that it couldn't be done over the phone at all.

RuggieBear wrote:
    i was told by a BT rep that the broadband transfer authorisation form is essential and that it couldn't be done over the phone at all.

Thanks...still on hold and will ask about transfer form again - if I ever get through..

eventually got talking to them after using ring back option. My order was 'accepted' on 27th June (after applying online 17th June). I was again told that no signing of forms or paper of any kind was required and I should have the service "within 14 days of 27th June". To clarify - I don't currently have broadband (I had eircom trial in 2004), so maybe that's why I don't need to sign anything. I am transferring line rental to BT as well though.

kaizersoze wrote:
    My line was upgraded to 2mb today so it took about 8-9 working days to be done but at least it's done. Bear with it and quick call every couple of days just to keep them on their toes biggrin.gif

It's just gone to 2Mb this morning smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Nyum Nyum wrote:
    It's just gone to 2Mb this morning smile.gif
    NIIIICCCCEEEEE :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Around the 9th of May I ordered a transfer from Eircom to BT, just the phone line mind, as Eircoms incompetancy meant that they disconnected my BB while doing an account transfer, but that's another story. It took about 6 weeks just to transfer the line, went live 25th June (apparently I got lost in the admin system), at which point I ordered the BB. Went away on holidays for 2 weeks expecting to come back to a shiney BB connection, no... Rang them and found that they had an expected connection date of the 23rd of July. Basically, the order had started, was cancelled, then there was a note to say ignore previous note, and the order was started again. Unbelievable. So 8 weeks so far, and possibly another three to go?!

Wrote to Mr McCabe (registered post cos complaints are better on paper ;o)) but no response yet.

Sorry I didn't swallow my pride and stick with Eircom to be honest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

It's 2 weeks today since I posted the DSL transfer forms to BT.

No response from them so I phoned them up 5 minutes ago. My application is at the 'Order accepted' stage, but there's a "delay at the gateway" (can someone explain please?). However I should have a go-live date in the next couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Sarsfield wrote:
    It's 2 weeks today since I posted the DSL transfer forms to BT.

No response from them so I phoned them up 5 minutes ago. My application is at the 'Order accepted' stage, but there's a "delay at the gateway" (can someone explain please?). However I should have a go-live date in the next couple of days.

Probable due to the new offers starting on the 7th or 11th and the backlog which has to be cleared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Sarsfield,
    Just out of interest, are you going for BT's new DSL offering (from the 11th July)? Or is that for first time connections only?

ambrose :cool:

• Advertisement

Sarsfield,
    Just out of interest, are you going for BT's new DSL offering (from the 11th July)? Or is that for first time connections only?

ambrose :cool:

It's their new pricing scheme I'm moving for, but as I've already got DSL with Eircom, I don't get the initial discount, so I'll be paying €40/mth from the start. But as that covers line rental and DSL it's still €24/mth better than Eircom.

To get the discount offer as advertised, you need to be new to DSL, not just new to BT.

I still cant believe that eircom wont drop their prices for existing customers like BT did...its a sure way for people to jump to another provider....ignorant shíts!!!

BT customer service by phone told me today (I rang them, lovely Polish accent by the way, I could have talked with her much longer), that Eircom have informed them that my broadband would be live on 20th July. She said that it is normally five days earlier than what Eircom say! The modem won't be despatched until the day broadband goes live and delivery takes up to five days - therefore worst-case scenario timeframes involved should be something like:
    1. ordered online 17th June;
    2. 'accepted' by BT 27th June - 10 days (calendar, not working days);
    3. broadband live 20th July - 33 days total;
    4. modem received 25th July - 38 days total.

However, I've just read a post by Garfield on 6th July that my exchange should be live with Smart within 4 - 8 weeks! :( I might have to see out a six month contract with BT (although there was no contract commitment when I applied - this only kicked in this week) and hope that Smart will keep my order on hold until then - including my free line rental place.

FYI: I don't currently have broadband (had eircom trial last year) and I'm moving to BT broadband plus + line rental @ €50 per month.

1. ordered online 17th June;
    2. 'accepted' by BT 27th June - 10 days (calendar, not working days);
    3. broadband live 20th July - 33 days total;
    4. modem received 25th July - 38 days total.
    That's 27 working days. They say in their confirmation email that it can take up to 25, so you're not too far off that.
    If you can get your hands on a BB modem before the BT one arrives you can hook it up on or before the 20th, enter your username/password and your in :D

kaizersoze wrote:
    That's 27 working days. They say in their confirmation email that it can take up to 25, so you're not too far off that.
    If you can get your hands on a BB modem before the BT one arrives you can hook it up on or before the 20th, enter your username/password and your in :D

confirmation email?? - never got one! Could that cause me a problem? Everything I know has been told to me verbally over the phone, but only when I've rung up to enquire.

When I applied, the website said it would take 15 working days from 'acceptance'. 'Acceptance' took 10 days! So, yeah, 25 in total. I'm not going to quibble over a few days - Smart said I'd be live by May/June!! But I'll still go with them when I can to save the extra €15 per month.

Yeah, could use another modem while waiting for delivery, but don't have one and I'll just wait the extra few days. I've already been waiting since March when I applied to Smart - but fair dues, without them I don't think BT would be offering me 2mb + line rental for €50.

confirmation email?? - never got one! Could that cause me a problem? Everything I know has been told to me verbally over the phone, but only when I've rung up to enquire.
    Don't worry about it. The confirmation email is sent out when your order is complete at BT's end and the order is passed to Eircom. The 25 day's is set down by Eircom to allow them to set up your line.
    I got all my info over the phone aswell but I already had BB on the line from UTV so Eircom didn't really have to do anything physical. It was just an administrative change. BT told me on the phone I was live before I received the confirmation email :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I plan to move from UTV's 1mbit 48:1/8gig cap product @ €54(incl €24 line rental to BT's 2mbit 24:1/24gig cap product @ €50(incl line rental)

Quite an easy decision to make really isn't it!

Anyway, whats the best way to go about it and when. Do I need to ring utv and get a cancellation number first. Should I cancel now or at the begining of next month to sync up the utv advance sub/BT new sub. When should I ring BT etc etc

I also have my own ADSL modem/Router (Netgear DG834G) with both PC's hardwired via ethernet as opposed to wireless as I had no end of problems with the wireless. Do I save any setup fee's with BT by using my own router or would I be as well to take their router anyway as my DG834 seems be a bit unrelieable and drops the connection every half hour or so(never while gaming though for some reason??)

1. Read the previous posts in this thread.
    2. Ring BT first & they'll send out the necessary forms.
    3. Don't cancel UTV at all unless you want at least a month downtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

kaizersoze wrote:
    Ring BT first & they'll send out the necessary forms.
    I phoned up BT earlier in the week and was told that I could order the €40 a month deal over the phone. All I needed was my Eircom account number and bank details.

Fidelis wrote:
    I phoned up BT earlier in the week and was told that I could order the €40 a month deal over the phone. All I needed was my Eircom account number and bank details.
    Thats the procedure for new broadband conections. If you already have BB on your line from another provider you must fill out the DTAF (Transfer Form) and send it back to BT. Otherwise the order will be rejected by Eircom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

8track wrote:
    However, I've just read a post by Garfield on 6th July that my exchange should be live with Smart within 4 - 8 weeks! :( I might have to see out a six month contract with BT (although there was no contract commitment when I applied - this only kicked in this week) and hope that Smart will keep my order on hold until then - including my free line rental place.

FYI: I don't currently have broadband (had eircom trial last year) and I'm moving to BT broadband plus + line rental @ €50 per month.
    You may not be under a six month contract, BT told me that it only applies to new instalations (which never had broadband). If you are paying the full amount to BT from the start it is highly lightly you are not under a min contract length.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

ordered BB with line on 5 july by phone. Called them on tuesday and they said order is being processed. Will call them again on tuesday to see what the status is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Finally got connected to BTBB.
    Transfer phone line (with no BB): 6-7 weeks
    Get BB connected : 3 weeks (one week ahead of their "expected" date which was 4 weeks due to them cancelling the order internally an restarting it)

Still pretty poor, and no explanation as to how come it took so long just to transfer the line. So much for Head of Consumer Sales and Service. But I'm leaving it well alone now!

I've just been on the phone to BT.

I'm now a BT customer allegedly! I did notice yesterday evening that my main eircom email account had stopped working, but other than that nothing changed. I haven't rebooted my modem or anything (or changed any of the settings).

I definitely had a service at 9am this morning, I'm just not absolutely sure who's providing it! My BT modem is in the post.

I'll check my IP address when I get home to see who I'm connected to.

So just under 3 weeks to move line & broadband from Eircom to BT.

And it seems to have been totally painless!

kaizersoze wrote:
    3. Don't cancel UTV at all unless you want at least a month downtime.

I just got the monthly bill for July from UTV. Did you get the same?

I'm still on Eircom. As I realised on the way home, I should have to log on to BT with my new user/password shouldn't I?

I can't be active with both accounts can I?

BT modem arrived yesterday! Tried hooking up tonight. Followed all instructions carefully, but no dsl light. No flashing..nada! Now online through dial-up. Off now to check for postings on this. BT product support part of their website is down. Telephone support closed at 9pm...rang them at 9.30pm!

There are a couple of LED's with writing...could you write down the name/colour of each???

Wait a day for activation and then ring them up.

zuma wrote:
    There are a couple of LED's with writing...could you write down the name/colour of each???

PWR - green - on
    SYS - green - on

USB - orange - off
    10/100M - orange - on
    DSL - orange - off
    ACT - orange - off
    zuma wrote:
    Wait a day for activation and then ring them up.
    They told me on the phone a week or two ago that they don't send out the modem until broadband has been activated.

• Advertisement

This is mine as the moment:

PWR - green - on
    SYS - green - on

USB - orange - off
    10/100M - orange - blinking
    DSL - Green - on
    ACT - orange - blinking

10/100M and ACT are blinking as I am currently downloading data.

If the DSL light is not on then your line is NOT DSL enabled.
    Give them a ring tomorrow about it.

Advertisement