Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transfer from eircom to BT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭8track

zuma wrote:
    If the DSL light is not on then your line is NOT DSL enabled.
    Give them a ring tomorrow about it.

Okay...but it is confusing when they say they don't send out the modem until the line is activated! I'll ring tomorrow and post the result here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Yep Strack. I don't get this either. Maybe someone else can explain this? Thankfully I had my own modem when I transfered from my old ISP.

I'd be pretty pissed off if I was paying for BB, and didn't even have the modem yet. Although maybe they don't start billing you until you log in for the first time?

ambrose :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

What else is there to explain....???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Nyum Nyum wrote:
    I just got the monthly bill for July from UTV. Did you get the same?
    I did indeed. I rang them and they told me that the monthly subscription wasn't cancelled even though I switched to BT so I still had to pay.
    I cancelled straight away by email after the phone call. Ahh well it's my own fault really I suppose. The price you pay for no downtime.
    Just in case anyone else is wondering, my "final" bill from UTV today included the advanced BB subscription for July even though I'm with BT since early June. Aparently,according to UTV, the DTAF cancels the BB service and allows the transfer to a new supplier but doesn't cancel the subscription :rolleyes:
    So, the moral of the story is...CANCEL the UTV subscription as soon as you go live with BT :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Zuma is your post directed at me? Maybe you could read my post again. I'll break it down for you.
    Okay...but it is confusing when they say they don't send out the modem until the line is activated!
    I don't get this either. Maybe someone else can explain this?

I was hoping someone might explain why BT only send out the BB modem once your line is activated. If this is the case, are you being billed from the day of activation? Even though you can't use the service, as you wouldn't have the modem yet.

I actually rang BT yesterday, and yes you are billed from the day of activation. Their answer was "That's just the way its done" basically.

ambrose :cool:

• Advertisement

You get billed once your account has become active....ie after entering your Username/Password to log into BT's network when you do the initial setup of the router.

I remember the exact time and date I first logged in(last day of that month) so if they try and start billing me for the 7 hours of that month as an entire month there will be TROUBLE...as Digiweb offer a nicely priced 2Mbit service now!!!

Rang BT and my line has been activated! They asked me to try line with the phone disconnected, i.e. broadband plugged straight into socket, not through filter. I'll try it at lunch time. They want this checked before getting Eircom to check line, which can take three working days!

Dodgy filters are common.

If its of any help...BT activated my line before I got their router.....had to wait a day for activation when I had eircom BB....back in the day so to speak!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dec4

ordered BB with line on 5 july by phone. Called them on tuesday and they said order is being processed. Will call them again on tuesday to see what the status is.
    I too ordered on 5th July last, having not heard a word from BT for last fortnight I decided to give them a call..
    They originally quoted 2.5 weeks for BB connection. "it's now 3.5 weeks due to backlog of orders..thank u very much..."
    You might imagine with number of applications being logged they would be able to be a bit more accurate. Also I see from earlier in this thread that those who got in early were connected in a shorter time than the 2.5 weeks ( 25 working days ) standard quote.
    Still I suppose better late than never.
    Incidentally I see Eircom now throwing in a 64MB Mp3 player if you order than 19.99 BB Time product on-line. Wow that must be costing them about €6...how attractive does that make it !

8track wrote:
    Rang BT and my line has been activated! They asked me to try line with the phone disconnected, i.e. broadband plugged straight into socket, not through filter. I'll try it at lunch time. They want this checked before getting Eircom to check line, which can take three working days!
    Tried it...still no dsl light! Rang BT. After trying resetting modem as they suggested, Tech support told me it was probably because my line rental transfer hadn't gone through yet..so put me through to Customer Care..who said this had nothing to do with it..so put back to tech support who are now organising line check, which might now take 5 working days! Don't understand how there could be line problem...had Eircom broadband trial working perfectly for 2 months last year.

• Advertisement

8track wrote:
    Tried it...still no dsl light! Rang BT. After trying resetting modem as they suggested, Tech support told me it was probably because my line rental transfer hadn't gone through yet..so put me through to Customer Care..who said this had nothing to do with it..so put back to tech support who are now organising line check, which might now take 5 working days! Don't understand how there could be line problem...had Eircom broadband trial working perfectly for 2 months last year.
    I suspect it may be a faulty router. Can you get your hands on another one to try it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I cancelled UTV last week as it this is the end of my 12month contract, with the intention of moving to BT.

Then I realised I'm still stuck in a 12month UTV Talk contract.

Oh dear.

kaizersoze wrote:
    I suspect it may be a faulty router. Can you get your hands on another one to try it?
    Thanks for suggestion, but nope, can't think of where I'd get one. Didn't buy computer locally, so can't really approach suppliers. I don't know anyone else with Broadband. Any chance that my monitored intruder alarm could be the cause of the problem?..though Eircom BB trial worked fine with it. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Letter in the post from BT today. Thank you for placing an order etc. in contact with Eircom on your behalf etc.

Anyway, I have my customer number now and was able to check the progress of my order online.

Broadband transfer - Complete
    Line Rental - PSTN - no news yet

I'm still getting a broadband service off Eircom (or I have an Eircom IP address anyway)

:confused:

Sarsfield wrote:
    ..Anyway, I have my customer number now and was able to check the progress of my order online...
    how does one check?

8track wrote:
    how does one check?

The Customer Login option on the front page - you'll need to register first and this requires your customer number

And how is a customer number availed ???

Have had BT BB for 5months now and was expecting my first bill last months....nothing.
    It would be nice to see what I'm being charged.

zuma wrote:
    And how is a customer number availed ???

It was in the letter they sent me. See my post of yesterday evening

Never got a letter!

The only postage I have ever got from BT was the DSl equipment package and AFAI remember there was no personalised letter welcoming me to their service....I'll probable be forced to make another call to a pissed off rep!!!

I got my customer number over the phone. Tried to register, but BT website is impossibly slow today, so stopped midway through.

Rang for update on my no dsl problem. Now told that they can't get a line check by Eircom until my line rental has been transferred! They're expecting this to complete tomorrow or Monday. They say they check daily for completion and as soon as it is completed they will order line check, which might take another 5 days! It goes on and on..(ordered BT BB 17th June) and I still doubt that there is anything wrong with the line as it was working perfectly for Eircom BB trial last year (which I told BT about), but will have to wait maybe another week or more to at least rule it out!! :eek:

• Advertisement

My modem arrived in the post this morning. Didn't get a chance to try logging on to BT. My Eircom service was still working this morning! :confused:

I'm connected to BT :D

Sarsfield wrote:
    I'm connected to BT :D
    How long did it take in the end?

kaizersoze wrote:
    How long did it take in the end?

3.5 weeks. Although they told me I was live on Tuesday, which would make it 3 weeks. I'm pretty sure I was live by then but I waited until the modem arrived. I didn't actually use the one they sent (it doesn't appear to be a router and I've 2 machines), but I didn't want to log off Eircom until I was pretty sure BT was live.

Anyway, I'm happy so far.

Does anyone know if there's a way to tell when my line has also been transferred to BT?

Can I just add that the changeover was absolutely seamless. I just logged off Eircom and logged onto BT. No downtime that I'm aware of. Don't wait - change from Eircom :D

Sarsfield wrote:
    3.5 weeks. Although they told me I was live on Tuesday, which would make it 3 weeks. I'm pretty sure I was live by then but I waited until the modem arrived. I didn't actually use the one they sent (it doesn't appear to be a router and I've 2 machines), but I didn't want to log off Eircom until I was pretty sure BT was live.

Anyway, I'm happy so far.

Does anyone know if there's a way to tell when my line has also been transferred to BT?

Can I just add that the changeover was absolutely seamless. I just logged off Eircom and logged onto BT. No downtime that I'm aware of. Don't wait - change from Eircom :D
    Nice to hear it went well :D
    The BT unit is a router. You can connect 1 machine via usb and the other via ethernet at the same time. They send out the modem as soon as you go live with them so the change over probably happened about 3 days ago. Mine was seamless aswell - logged off UTV and logged onto BT :D
    <Edit> Sorry, I misunderstood your transfer question :o You'll get a letter from BT to inform you that the line has been transferred plus a letter from Eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

Dec4 wrote:
    I too ordered on 5th July last, having not heard a word from BT for last fortnight I decided to give them a call..
    They originally quoted 2.5 weeks for BB connection. "it's now 3.5 weeks due to backlog of orders..thank u very much..."

Ordered on the same day. Gave a call on monday, and a guy said that its in backlog, and he could put the order again. So I did. He said there would be a target date by the end of the week. Gave a call yesterday, application is accepted and target date is 3rd of august... and BB on ~10 of august...

Had no dsl light although line had been enabled. BT support thought that line check would be needed, but they wouldn't request until line rental was also transferred. But thought I'd plug in over weekend and lo and behold the little yellow light of delight!! But then couldn't get connected! Tried every conceivable variation of set up of ethernet and USB. Until realised 1. Internet Explorer security settings were preventing BT WAN tests. Tried in Firefox and bingo except failed PPP test! 2. Tried every conceivable user name / password combination but didn't work. Rang BT support next day and discovered - (please note as it may affect you) the instruction to add @BTBB to user name doesn't work for every exchange, but @iolbb will!! A few days after online ordering BT rang me to say that some details hadn't come through so they asked me to set a new user name and password. Turns out that the original is still the one that is required and mark 2 does not work! Having sorted user name / password got me online. First isp test speed - 1.38Mb down, 80kbit up. I'm about 3km from exchange in a relatively new house in an area full of new houses - all tel. lines are underground for some distance towards town/exchange.

Now hooked up through ethernet - I don't recommend trying to set up USB on Win 98SE - BT instructions for it are sh**e and don't work. You have to make sense of it yourself.

Timing outcome - online order 17th June, 'accepted' 27th June, modem received 18th July, online 22nd July, total five weeks.

I hope this is some help to somebody..

Good to hear your up and running :D
    I got caught out with the "@BTBB&quot; thing aswell but didn't mention it because you weren't getting any DSL signal to begin with.
    Ethernet is always better than USB. USB is crap in Win98 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dec4

Ordered on the same day. Gave a call on monday, and a guy said that its in backlog, and he could put the order again. So I did. He said there would be a target date by the end of the week. Gave a call yesterday, application is accepted and target date is 3rd of august... and BB on ~10 of august...
    Got a helpful rep in BT today who tells me I should be live by 18th August..that's almost 7 weeks from ordering..a slightly longer timeframe than the 2.5 weeks they originally quoted me..hope it's worth the wait..

• Advertisement

I got my final bill from Eircom today! They owe me €45.45 for the unused part of my line rental for the billing period :D

I haven't called them, but do they send a cheque or what?

Advertisement