Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASAI examines Eircom broadband ad - Sunday Business Post

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

jor el wrote:
    They already have. ComReg defines Broadband as

Which is what eircomtribunal said at the top of the page.
    Though if you look at Comreg's Definition of terms, Broadband is defined as

Broadband ? A service or connection allowing a considerable amount of information to be conveyed, such as television pictures. Generally defined as a bandwidth > 2Mbit/s
    Broadband Integrated Services Digital Network (B-ISDN) ? The capability to integrate any type of communications signals (voice, data, image or multimedia) and carry them over a single broadband channel of 150-mbps and above, 4k (B-ISDN) regardless of their content.

So how is anyone in this country, Eircom ASTI or puter supposed to be certain of what is meant by the term broadband.
    jor el wrote:
    From reading other threads and info on this new product I really hope absolutely nobody buys it. It really is a terrible product and will do nothing but boost David McRedmond's overused and over inflated figures for broadband penetration in Ireland. It's a booby-trapped product designed to take money from unsuspecting people.

True it's a terrible product, but that doesn't make the advertising untruthful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Wow, I sent in a complaint to the ASAI about this.....Can't believe the system actually works.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I just noticed this on eircom.ie

Speeds of up to 1MB.

Thant makes it the fastest Eircom product. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

i have not seent this advert but!
    this maybe more of a bargain than you think

if this is as it states a time based package and not bandwidth then...
    this mean 20 hours of unlimted downloads with no cap eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

if this is as it states a time based package and not bandwidth then...
    this mean 20 hours of unlimted downloads with no cap eh?

At the theoretical most you could download around 8 gig, that would be assuming downloading continuously for 20 hours at max speed. A more realistically achievable figure would be around half of that.

This product is nothing but the attempt to gouge the uninformed.

Compare: Get BT's 40 euro per month offer (25 euros during the introductory 4 months), which includes the € 25 line rental. For some 15 euros for the broadband part you'll get a volume capped (12 gig) always on broadband product.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

If you maxed out a 1Mbit connection for the full 20hours then you could download ~7.3Gbytes.

And remember eircom knows, as they limit it to first time connections, that people will barely break the 1Gbyte CAP.

Hey lads,
    We all know that eircoms Time package is a complete rip-off and an insult to anyone who takes a passing glance at places like boards.ie.
    But eircom are hunting those who know no better with this and getting the blonde to shake her ass gives it a bit of sex appeal.
    As a BT customer I know how much i save in the month...but only a small percentage of DSL(until know at least) customers are with BT.

Advertisement