Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rush could line out for TNS

• 26-06-2005 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

I came across this story yesterday and I thought it was worth a mention.

I remember watching the tsunami appeal game and Rush played very well for a guy of his age, he finished one goal in true "old" Rush style.

I mean TNS obviously accept that they won't be able to match the pool so instead are going to try and make as much money from it as possible and well having Rush playing might just put a few more thousand in the stand.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I meant to post up this story! I think Rush should'nt play though, sure it'll possibly help with turnout - "Legend Betrays Club Shock, Horror!" ;) But it would also feel like a stunt and I dont think the ocassion needs one. The fact Liverpool are playing TNS at all is enough of a stunt already in some eyes*!

Mike.

*Mainly those across Stanley Park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

the welsh league is a bit of a farce. Total Network solutions? its sounds like a print company. I dont think rush should play either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

if rush plays it will become a farce.I know some have their doubts already as to how convenient it is that the 2 sides are playing each other.Rush should let bygons be bygons and sit in the stand like all of the other liverpool legends that will be watching....

dan :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

the welsh league is a bit of a farce. Total Network solutions? its sounds like a print company. I dont think rush should play either

Do you know anything about Football man? The club is named after its main sponsor. So it not a farce that it sounds like a company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

All of this makes TNS look like a total joke team imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well the way I see it the game will be an easy win for Liverpool anyway, so letting Rush play would make him very happy and present a big pay-day for a small club. I can see why people thing it might be a farce but I don't think Rush will be Humiliated in any shape or form I mean he seemed very fit in the tsunami appeal game and he also plays in the masters competitions, I also doubt if Liverpool will field their strongest team as they won't want to risk playing their star players this much before the start of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

no chance. Lets not forget its still a serious competitive match. Looking good in a friendly charity match really doesnt compare. Injury wise, he should avoid it.

Plus Ian Rush will have trained consistantly with Chester while manager, and lets not forget, he has twice the ability of any player Liverpool currently have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think it would just make it all the more about the pay day aspect.
    Sure its bad enough as it is, without going this extra final hurdle to make it just into a fund raising match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

How must TNS strikers feel?

• Advertisement

Draupnir wrote:
    Do you know anything about Football man? The club is named after its main sponsor. So it not a farce that it sounds like a company.

i dont follow the welsh league. the fact that the club is named after the sponsor is laughable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

AFAIK they were set up in more recent years, unlike some other clubs who were founded in 1890's and 1900's, before soccer became so commercial, when teams could be named over anything. I'm sure it was essential for the successfull initiation and survival of the club to take on their main sponsors name - and if thats what it takes to initiate and keep a club that the locals can be proud of running, then so be it!

And anyways, TNS Llansantffraid isn't the worst possible name for a club!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

the fact that the club is named after the sponsor is laughable

I dont see many Man Utd supporters jumping in on this one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

im just wondering how the other players must feel. here they are about to play their biggest game ever and theres talk of this "stunt". certainly if i was aplayer in the welsh league i would love to get a competitive game against a team like liverpool, not just a pre season friendly which is what this game will be if rush comes in.

admittedly its going to be a huge task for tns to even bother liverpool but they at least have to prepare for it in the right frame of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

A semi finalist of last season's Champions League is named after a sponsor.

PSV Eindhoven.

Do you people who are berating TNS Llansanrffraid for being named after sponsor actually know this?

:rolleyes:

rush would probably get into the team on merit anyway.

TNS Llansanrffraid is ok. But its usually TNS on Sky Sports+other media

Yeah, as is PSV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

And dont forget Bayer Levekusen named after the industrial giant which is based in Leverkusen.

Mike.

Bayer Diagnostics. PSV named after Phillips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

the welsh league is a bit of a farce. Total Network solutions? its sounds like a print company.

I'd have thought an enthusiastic supporter of the EL would show a bit more sympathy for a fellow fringe league, in fairness, doesn't the EL get accused of the same (apart from the sponsorship thing)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

And wasnt Parma named after Parmalat their old sponsor who have since gone bust?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

And wasnt Parma named after Parmalat their old sponsor who have since gone bust?
    Not quite! Parma is a city in Italy, which was there long before the corporation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

Okay we get it, some teams are named after their sponsors :p.

Anyway, letting Rush play for TNS will just make it seem like a Charity game and it will be a joke. I don't think it's really going to happen anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

would he hav to be signed to play for them? and get a wage packet for the year? i assume you cant just pop in for an auld game in a champions league qualifier..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

~Rebel~ wrote:
    would he hav to be signed to play for them? and get a wage packet for the year? i assume you cant just pop in for an auld game in a champions league qualifier..

They would have to register him in their squad with UEFA. Don't know about the rest but TNS are probably not a professional club so they may be able to just pay him an appearance fee or something.

I'd have thought an enthusiastic supporter of the EL would show a bit more sympathy for a fellow fringe league, in fairness, doesn't the EL get accused of the same (apart from the sponsorship thing)?

I said I dont follow the Welsh league and said the fact that a team called its self after a company was laughable. I didnt know they stuck on their own name at the end of it.

Ireland has 2 other major sports to contend with and Wales has just soccer. We have more people attending the EL than Wales so its a bit of a joke on their part.

In fairness, I couldnt see the day even for the likes of Shamrock Rovers named themselves after Paddy Power for revene :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Well Paddy Power is based in Tallaght, its only a few mins away from their "New Stadium". ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

~Rebel~ wrote:

He can sign on a pay as you play short term deal. Hristo Stoichkov did exactly that when he signed on loan for Al Nassr, the Saudi team, in 1998 to play in the semifinal (And subsequent final) of the Asian cup winners cup. He set up the winner in the semi and scored the only goal of the game in the final and flew back to the US that evening with over $500,000 in his back pocket (he was paid a reported $250,000 a game plus bonuses). So it is possible to "pop in" for a game!

• Advertisement

wow, so in theory the former greats of the world could pimp themselves out to the european minnows to help them through the 1st round or 2 of champs league.. queue smeichel, cantona, beardsley, le tissier, maccoist, wright et all returnin for major payouts! im sure the very best of the 30 - 40 year olds could still make a big difference at that level.

Ireland has 2 other major sports to contend with and Wales has just soccer. We have more people attending the EL than Wales so its a bit of a joke on their part.

They're not too bad at rugby you know. We have rugby and the GAA, which is an amatuer sport we made up that is only played in this country (pretty much). They also produce they're fair share of athletes and have a very impressive national stadium that puts anything here to shame bar croke park, but thats a different sport altogether.
    Serbian wrote:
    They would have to register him in their squad with UEFA. Don't know about the rest but TNS are probably not a professional club so they may be able to just pay him an appearance fee or something.

They turned professional 18 months ago , anyway they don't HAVE to pay him anything. He can work for free if he so chooses, just like any of us could in our jobs.
    ~Rebel~ wrote:
    would he hav to be signed to play for them? and get a wage packet for the year?..

As I said aove he doesnt HAVE to be paid, and especially not for a full year if hes not playing for a year. There are plenty of players and manager on rolling week to week contracts. Anyway, as I said, I reckon he'd be capable of getting into the team on merit anyway.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    wow, so in theory the former greats of the world could pimp themselves out to the european minnows to help them through the 1st round or 2 of champs league.. queue smeichel, cantona, beardsley, le tissier, maccoist, wright et all returnin for major payouts! im sure the very best of the 30 - 40 year olds could still make a big difference at that level.

Like one or two of the not so greats did last season in the EL to help Roddy Collins out?

Stekelly wrote:
    Like one or two of the not so greats did last season in the EL to help Roddy Collins out?

who joined them? not the biggest follower of el..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I said I dont follow the Welsh league and said the fact that a team called its self after a company was laughable. I didnt know they stuck on their own name at the end of it.

Way to miss the point.

If someone came out and said the that the EL was a farce, and the top two teams in the league could only attract 1600 fans a couple of mondays ago, what a leddin' joke blah blah blah...you'd be up in arms.

Don't be such a cynic. Fans of EL clubs are in no position to be sneering at anyone.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    who joined them? not the biggest follower of el..
    Carlton Palmer is one who springs immediately to mind. Clown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Our biggest concern over the Liverpool games will be the players swapping shirts at the end. We can't afford to replace ours!

Had to put that in! :D Also, Rush says he won't be playing.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=288957&lid=2&cpid=5&title=No+rush+for+TNS&channel=football_home

Advertisement