Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

it carlow on tv

• 26-06-2005 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

just limping around the house and i heard an advert for itcarlow on the tv.
    didnt get to see the entire ad but basicly its saying go to carlow, carlow is great. anyone else see the ad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

nope havent seen it. but its unusual for colleges to be advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

must be concerned about the number of students applying to carlow if they're willing to splash the cash for tv adverts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They did this last year too afaik. A couple of ads on the likes of sky 1 ireland. I've heard loads of radio ads for DCU (i think, may have been DIT).

yeah i have heard radio ads. but normally the only tv ads are like the one for a degree in pr!

are the numbers attending carlow falling?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There have been plenty of ads on tele and radio for colleges atm,
    College numbers in general are falling and the fact that the vacant places went up on the cao website before people even sat the lc reflects this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

IT Carlow have advertised on Sky for the last 3 years afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I believe this year's leaving cert had the lowest number of candidates in years, so naturally there will be fewer students competing for college places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

the numbers attending carlow have been falling steeply since i started first year (2000) and they have been running a very aggresive add campaign to try and attract more students.

they have been directing the campaign at foreign and mature students cause the college gets more money from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

hmmmm that explains the dwindling female talent!

woodyg wrote:
    the numbers attending carlow have been falling steeply since i started first year

we have uncovered the problem!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

i think the CAO system is a little f**ked this year..as fast as i know colleges are advertising free places for courses BEFORE the leaving cert started...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I was there in 2000 too the college has seen a steady growth in student numbers during that time and apparently still is.

The fact that 1/2 the courses end up being aqa probably helps that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Redrocket

in the last college year only 30 people in total applied for a computing course in carlow.
    16 of which were in the new computer games developement course.

the average before then for people in computing per year was roughly 120.

i think all the colleges ended up ringing each other and saying something along the lines of... hey we have no computer students this year, did they all go to you???? the answer was no they didnt come here.

so definately a decline.

strangely enough i only watch tv on a saturday or sunday morning, and its normally discovery channel. the odds were very low at me seeing an ad for carlow on irish tv.
    thought someone else would have seen it long before me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

we saw it here last week... payed feck all attention to the ad as it was on but then we heard "it carlow" and. .well.. i'm sure you all know the rest

OMFG where did that ad come from?

i suppose all the usual crew are in it, i.e. the four people that are on every page of the prospectus this year! oh theyre playing sports, oh wait now their chemistry students, oh wait now their physiology students, oh no wait theyre actually studying media production!

my new goal in life is to be in the prospectus

you mean you want to carlow famous? a brochure whóre
    no thanks

the chicks dig it!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

keep chaseing that rainbow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I think my face is in this years prospectus. Must get my hands on one to check it :P

Advertisement