Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Films you loved but most people haven't a clue of...

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭popey21

Ah everyone knows the Seven Samurai, to be honest.

Maybe its hard for me to tell i seen most films that he been posted on the topic. Im just going by people i work with and friends i drink with have they seen . I mention any of the films ive posted and the look at me blankly like i made them up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ah everyone knows the Seven Samurai, to be honest.
    What about the science fiction remake?

Battle Beyond the Stars... although it's probably more of a remake of the Magnificent Seven... so the story is diluted that little bit more.

But I used to love the film as a kid, and seeing it recently it still holds up pretty well. It had some great space ship designs, a sassy ships computer, an amazing James Horner score and the immortal line "Have you never seen a Valkyrie go down?"

I was watching another little known gem last night called The Stuff. It's about an evil yogurt that comes to life and takes over peoples minds. It's pretty funny and is really just a big satire on consumerism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭popey21

What about the science fiction remake?

Battle Beyond the Stars... although it's probably more of a remake of the Magnificent Seven... so the story is diluted that little bit more.

But I used to love the film as a kid, and seeing it recently it still holds up pretty well. It had some great space ship designs, a sassy ships computer, an amazing James Horner score and the immortal line "Have you never seen a Valkyrie go down?"

I was watching another little known gem last night called The Stuff. It's about an evil yogurt that comes to life and takes over peoples minds. It's pretty funny and is really just a big satire on consumerism.

Battle Beyond the Stars looks good any ideas were to rent or buy

popey21 wrote:
    Battle Beyond the Stars looks good any ideas were to rent or buy

Seems to be pretty cheap here:

http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=848

Also lately the The Sci-Fi Channel has been showing it every now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Hedge

A film by Ettore Scola called La Cena (The Dinner). Set in a restaurant over the course of the night, the 'action' hops from table to table and as the film progressess, the more pissed people are getting and the better the conversations are getting. A gem IMO. Watch it, if you can find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭film_gonzo

Do you mean special effects guru Dave Foley (that was his name I think)?

Um, I don't know a sfx guy with that name but no it wasn't him. I'm talking about the guy that was in that sitcom with Phil Hartman in the radio staion. Dunno the name of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Actually I meant to say sound effects guru but either way we're still not talking about the same person.

Edit: I just checked and his name is Jack Foley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i am about to name a film which i know most cult sci fi pulp fans will nod knowingly to...

a film which while is unknown to the masses is a powerful cult controlling world events

a film so bad its good.

a film with one of the best all time ending scores...

his name is

Banzai

Buckaroo Banzai

in

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across the Eight Demension

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086856/

just check out the cast!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

"Without a Clue" isn't *very* well known, but it's such a fantastic movie. Perfect for when you've got a hangover and can't handle anything too hard.

• Advertisement

ObeyGiant wrote:
    "Without a Clue" isn't *very* well known, but it's such a fantastic movie. Perfect for when you've got a hangover and can't handle anything too hard.
    Oh yes. That's a very funny film. Micheal Caine is great in it.

I just love the Arty Morti scene.

Another one I just thought of is Amazon Women on the Moon. It's a film that sort of simulates someones channel surfing on a television set over the course of an evening. It's a little bit on the hit and miss side of things as there are lots of different directors. Joe Dante of Gremlins fame is one of the main guys behind the whole thing though.

One of my favourite bits is the Believe it or Not spoof called Bull**** or Not. With a great reconstruction on what it would look like if Jack the Ripper was in fact the Loch Ness Monster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I just love the Arty Morti scene.
    Every time I think of that scene, I wish I was curled up on my couch, nursing a hangover and stuffing a breakfast roll into my gob. Perfect 'comfort movie'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Brubaker
    Pump Up The volume
    The Warriors
    The Wanderers
    Cube
    and the originals of:
    The Taking of Pelham 123
    Assault on Precinct 13
    Flight of The Phoenix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

GreeBo wrote:
    Brubaker
    Pump Up The volume
    The Warriors
    The Wanderers
    Cube
    and the originals of:
    The Taking of Pelham 123
    Assault on Precinct 13
    Flight of The Phoenix

"CAAAAAN YOOOOU DIG IIIIIT?"

There's actually a Warriors video game coming out soon.

"Warriors, come out to play-i-ay."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

American Buffalo, also Mamet's House of Games and Glengarry Glen Ross which are both even better films (although also better known.) About Last Night... has one of the best opening two minutes of dialogue I've ever heard, but the rest of the film isn't great.

• Advertisement

The Warriors
    Looks like a Manhunt/GTA type of thingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across the Eight Demension

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086856/

just check out the cast!!!

Very few buckaroo banzi fans left across the world.

It's one of those films that is never ever shown.
    greebo wrote:
    The Taking of Pelham 123

god I love that films ending, cheesy funny and very slick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Seconding Twilight samurai, and The Hidden Blade from the same director.

Dead Man, by Jim Jarmush is one of my favourite films, but very few people have seen it, although i'd imagine most of the cinephiles on here have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Sgtshaft

Dîner de cons, Le (The Dinner Game) Fantastic french comedy

Withnail & I One of the best (cant believe it not that well known)

Cats Eye Great cast and three very interesting stories

The Beguiled Not to well known Clint Eastwood movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

GreeBo wrote:
    Pump Up The volume

Oh man I f**king love this film - can't find it anywhere though!!! I'd buy it online but, alas, no credit card...
    It's been ages since I saw it last as well...

• Advertisement

SebtheBum wrote:
    Oh man I f**king love this film - can't find it anywhere though!!! I'd buy it online but, alas, no credit card...
    ahwell, SO BE IT :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

Loved Presque Rien, bit depressing in places though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bad Taste
    Dead and Breakfast
    Idle Hands
    Guns of Naravoe [spelling?]

Any BratPack films that a lot of ppl haven't heard of.
    I mean, I know everyone probably knows The Breakfast Club and Pretty In Pink, and maybe even St. Elmo's Fire - but I love em all, so there's bound to be a few in my collection that most ppl wouldn't hav a clue about.
    the syco wrote:
    Guns of Naravoe [spelling?]

Guns of Navarone.
    Which reminds me, any films made out of Alistair MacLean books. Love em. Even Force 10 From Navarone.

this thread has become an excuse for me to shout out random b movies...

THE MONSTER SQUAD!!!

SPLENDOR!!!! :D

Actually, this yelling out random B-movies idea is kinda clever... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

SebtheBum wrote:

have that on DVD actually..

fade2black wrote:
    have that on DVD actually..

Where'd ya get it?

Another few I've just thought of:
    Eight Men Out
    (A lot of ppl probably know this one but, meh) Shallow Grave
    Oh What A Lovely War
    Sirens
    The Sea Wolves
    Nurmburg
    Land And Freedom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Bubba Ho-Tep

I know a lot of people on here have seen it, but anyone i've mentioned it to just looks at me like i've shat on their shoes.

sam peckinpah's lesser known work...

CROSS OF IRON...so very very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

SebtheBum wrote:
    Guns of Navarone.
    Which reminds me, any films made out of Alistair MacLean books. Love em. Even Force 10 From Navarone.
    Thats the one. Also:
    The Eagle has Landed
    Where Eagles Dare

I'll add more when I think of them. I love all WW2 commando type movies. Good stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

Not many i can think of that most people who are into films wouldn't have seen but anyway.

I'd highly recommend taking a look at 'To Live' if you get the chance. I only saw it becuase Channel 4 had a China season a few years back. Big epic drama following a family from the 40's to the 70's through the revolutionary times in China. Based on a novel,directed by Zhang Yimou, he got in a bit of trouble for making it too if i remember rightly,so did Li Gong i think,due to the film not being pro-Communist enough although its not really that actively anti-Communist either,lets you watch the story and make up your own mind.Anyways great film,good story,strong acting, mighty pretty too, highly recommend it, only on Region 1 DVD as far as i know.

I'd assume most people here have seen Ravenous but i'll mention it just in case. "He was licking me!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Wheely

try "waking the dead" its a great ickle movie with Jennifer Connelly and Billy Crudup cant think of much else that people wouldnt have heard of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

hoolio wrote:
    I'd highly recommend taking a look at 'To Live' if you get the chance.

I second that. In fact any of the early Gong Li films, and especially those in collaboration with Zhang Yimou.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Good thread.

Agree with "Without a Clue"...the Arti Morti scene is one of my favourites of all time.

Sweet Smell of Success

Riget

Ballad of a Soldier

The Battle of Algiers

Historias Minimas

Out of the Past

The Set Up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Moving(i cant get my hands on a copy of this movie if anyone knows where i could get a copy of it i would love to know, its Richard Pryor & Randy Quaid, pure genius)

I love this film!!

The last time I checked there was still no official release for no good reason but there are a few people on EBAY selling DVD transfers of the VHS copy. I'm still holding out for a proper release. Do you remember that bit "nice pool" "we're taking it with us, hahaha" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Another film which warrants a DVD release is the fantastic 'Return To Paradise'. An amazing film with top-class performances from the 3 leads - Vince Vaughn, Joaquin Phoenix and Anne Heche.

EDIT: It WAS actually released on DVD back when it was released but is quite scarce nowadays! Possibly because it was distributed by Polygram - and aren't producing any re-issues of it! I definantly haven't seen a Region 2 retail edition of the DVD available anywhere anyways!

Advertisement