Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Application

Options
  • 26-06-2005 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

Could anyone tell me how to apply to uni through CAO? My college hasn't got a clue since it's in Birmingham. I can't seem to get clear answers out of the CAO website so could all of yous put your guidance counsellors' wise words to use here please :D Any information eg. Final dates for applications to be accepted and what is required to enter(personal statements, recommendations etc.) greatly appreciated.

Thanking you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Woof!

erm you're a bit late, closing date for applications was last february..... sux 2 be u

Contact the CAO and see what they can do.

All hope is not lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

suz 2 be u is right..

ever heard of ucas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I'm not applying this year. Our tutors are telling us to get our applications finished during the first term back of the next school year though. I'm class of 2006. UCAS is only for applying to British universities. I want to get all my facts straight so I don't end up doing something stupid like not sending in my application on time etc.

Just to make this clear: I am looking to find out about the CAO system as I am planning to go to uni in Ireland. The guidance counsellors at my college are unable to help me as they do not know the Irish system. It has been left up to me to find out about Irish application procedures etc. If any of you could aid in this I would greatly appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Maybe you should have made it clearer that you're a brit in the first post...you might have gotten a better response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

LadyLotts wrote:
    My college hasn't got a clue since it's in Birmingham.

Yeh that line confused everyobody. College is Uni in Ireland, we call it school here.

Do you have MSN, send me a private message and we will swap e-mails and I`ll explain it all to your through that. COuld`nt be bothered explaining it through here, its to broad, prefer direct questions.

Anyways you have plenty of time, closing date will be the 1st of Feburary 2006.

You may or may not find info here http://www.skool.ie/colleges2005.asp?id=3343

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭ed6hellsfresh

perhaps checking cao.ie would be a help, i suppose thats what its for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭hum

well firstly get in contact with the cao office and they will probably have to register you so that they can send you the application form next year. then i would get in contact with colleges and ask them to send you their prospectus..... if you havnt done that already!
    then when you decide on what you want to do where you want to go etc. etc.. there will be course codes (in the prospectus and cao handbook) for you to put down as your choices for each college..each course will have a certain amount of points that you must have to get in (you can usually judge what they will be by finding out what was required for the previous years points). then you send it back.
    after you do your A levels the results will determine if you get into the college/course you want.this is how the points transfer for the brittish exams.

GCSE
    grade points
    A = 45
    B = 30
    C = 15

CGE (A LEVEL)
    grade points
    A = 170
    B = 140
    C = 100
    D = 70
    E = 40

i dont really know about any other complications of it but i hope that much helps! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Write to CAO, Tower House, Eglinton Street, Galway (I think that's the address anyway)
    They'll mail you the CAO handbook and whatever else when they're published next year. Have you any idea what course you want to take because we can more than likely tell you where you can study it and in what colleges...The requirements may fluctuate slightly but tend to stay around the same 10-15 point bracket for a few years at least.

www.qualifax.ie

has a list and detalils off all the course is the country.

Small things to note:

1. for your A levels its your best 4 subjects that you count for points.

2. Its not like the UCAS system at all.

3. You pick your courses in order of preference.

4. You will only be offered one Level 8 and one Level 6/7 course. This is why its so important to pick your courses in order of preference.

5. You don`t get offered your course before your results like in UCAS. You get offered them a week afterwards.

Anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Thanks everyone. That's helped me out loads. I've pretty much decided on BA Computer Science at UCD. I need CCC (3 Cs or the equivalent, eg. ACE) to get in, which shouldn't be to hard. I'll make sure to get in contact with them soon. Is it possible to fill in the CAO forms online?

Yeh of course. Its the best way too, its impossible to make a mistake that way. Plus its 10 euro cheaper.

The handbook is here: http://www2.cao.ie/handbook.php

LadyLotts wrote:
    I've pretty much decided on BA Computer Science at UCD.

Good choice!!! :D

Advertisement