Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walkie Talkies... What to buy?

Options
  • 26-06-2005 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy some walkie talkies for use when i'm over in amsterdam for a festival in august, instead of using mobiles!

can anyone give me any advice on what to look out for when buying them? can i use that GMRS thing in ireland as well as holland?

Cheers if you can help!!

Vinny

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

PMR 446 is the European Standard. The GMRS is a US standard . A lot of the Walkie Talkies on ebay use the US standards (FRS & GMRS) which have different frequencies and are unlicensed if not illegal in Ireland

Argos have cheapo PMR radios - if you're off to a festival prob best to get ones that accept AAs in case you can't plug in your charger.. Also if they have CTCSS (often called sub-channels) they will help a bit if the channels are crowded afaik.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Iv a load of PMR's great little radios. Get the Argos ones, loike parsi said. The GRMS/FRS ones are illeagal in the EU in general AFAIK.

Recharageable ones are handier and most iv seen take the recharageable battery and AA/AAA's. The more expensive ones have better sound quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i got some cobras off ebay, 7 mile radius it said, but i dont think i'll get near that to be honest..

they are gmrs will that work over here??

Cheers for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

it will "work" but it;'s illegal. could be interferring with some other signals.
    edit : you could also get interference from something else...

Advertisement