Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

freshers day

Options
  • 26-06-2005 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

what is it all about.... me thinks tuborg huh?
    i'm headin to the college after summer, just wonderin about this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Not much tbh.
    Usually the 1st few weeks are spend in a drunken blur, so i can't quite remember a particular 'day' of fun & frolicks.
    & i've been a fresher TWICE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

it's more of a week than a day - just lots of events and stuff. The clubs/soc's are all out in force to recruit new members, you get given shed load of free stuff :D

other things organised like library tours, computer network induction - they gave out free disk keys last year, as well as the likes of the iron stomach competition...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭ed6hellsfresh

wow sounds pretty cool. i like drink,free stuff and days in units of seven not bad at all.
    disk key??????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Think the disk keys were just a thought to be helpful.
    You'll get loadsa junk thrown at you in freshhers week
    Save some of your money for the gigs at night.
    Try to hang round the SU for free stuff.
    The freshers ball is usually on well after freshers week (&usually sucks)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Save some of your money for the gigs at night.

Gigs? Somebody's very popular. ;)

I didn't go to any gigs nor did I go to the freshers ball.

To the original poster, my advice to you would be the advice I give to other newbies - join as many clubs and societies as possible on freshers week and make an effort to attend! I think I speak for others when I say that overlooking the clubs and societies is a bad idea, especially if you have no friends. I made that mistake in first year but I won't make it again in 2nd year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Fresher's Week was possibly the most dissapointing week of my 1st year. All of the hype of it being an absolute beer fest is a load of balls TBH. Yes there are events such as Drinking Events in the bar, gigs and the Freshers Ball but all of these events are simply only geared up for the D4 and private school kids who already know zillions of people. Freshers week is just one of the many examples as to why so many people don't feel part of this college.
    To the original poster, my advice to you would be the advice I give to other newbies - join as many clubs and societies as possible on freshers week and make an effort to attend! I think I speak for others when I say that overlooking the clubs and societies is a bad idea, especially if you have no friends. I made that mistake in first year but I won't make it again in 2nd year.

Ditto that.

Get involved in college life especially if you are going to be doing Arts and if you don't know alot of people or you will end up like ''Billy no mates me'' no matter how cool or friendly you are.

Just make sure you enjoy yourself and live in the bar! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Yeah, fresher's week was definitely a load of crap. My debs was on the wednesday of it too, so I missed most of the events that were probably useless anyway.

The fresher's ball was rubbish too, totally overhyped and then half the people with tickets didnt even get to go because they overbooked it, idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Yep, I've done freshers week twice in two different colleges and they were both waaaaay over hyped. Might be more fun if you already know lots of people in your year.
    That said the UCD one was exciting because of all the clubs and soc's, the free stuff (I was eating and drinking the stuff I got in the first week all year!) and the general air of mayhem.

Join lots of clubs and soc's, go to their events, some you thought would be good - were crap, and some you thought would be crap - were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Actually yeah... the one great thing about freshers week, the free stuff. You've gotta love it!

Advertisement