Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ah.. they dont make 'em like they used to...

• 26-06-2005 11:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭

Happened to stumble across the HMV (evil place making spend a lot of money) sale today... Picked up the following for €50:

-> Kramer vs Kramer
    -> Transformers the movie
    -> Groundhog Day
    -> The Great Outdoors
    -> See no evil, hear no evil
    -> Planes, Trains and Automobiles
    -> Ghostbusters

pretty good value i think..

After watching trains, planes and automobiles, the great outdoors and see no evil, hear no evil, this is backing up a discussion i had recently, that they dont make films like these anymore!!!!

The 80's/early 90's had dozens of great movies like these... buddie movies, family comedies, black comedies etc...

There hasn't really been a film like 'the great outdoors' or 'the goonies' or 'big' in recent years...

what is it with the movie industry? Are these type of movies no longer popular with today's audience?

Comments

...this is backing up a discussion i had recently, that they dont make films like these anymore!!!!

Whenever I come to the same conclusion, be it about films, music, or anything at all, I realise that man I'm starting to get old...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Myth wrote:
    Whenever I come to the same conclusion, be it about films, music, or anything at all, I realise that man I'm starting to get old...

i think you're right... i was a child of the 80's... i grew up on this stuff... just seems that movies today are more about the 'wow factor' than the comedy/acting value that they bring...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I always use play.com as a judge for value, the total for all your films their is Total: EUR 73.43
    so you got a good deal :D

I'd also have to agree with Third_Echelon and Co, alot of movies now adays suck as they sell on big names rather then good stories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Myth wrote:

Yes, when you start to say things like 'Remember John Candy in..." and the like you do feel old! :eek: Those films were great Third_Echelon. Think I may head in there tomorrow and have a look. Yay Groundhog Day, love it!! :)

i think you're right... i was a child of the 80's... i grew up on this stuff... just seems that movies today are more about the 'wow factor' than the comedy/acting value that they bring...

I probably sound like a prude but all the comedies these days are all about sex. And in your face about it!! American Pie etc... sure it's all the same once you've seen one of those films. Personally I don't like Stiller, Ferrell, Wilson, the other Wilson et al. Give me good auld Candy, Akoryd(?), Murray, Martin, Hanks (old school) film any day!! :D

• Advertisement

Larianne wrote:
    Yes, when you start to say things like 'Remember John Candy in..." and the like you do feel old! :eek: Those films were great Third_Echelon. Think I may head in there tomorrow and have a look. Yay Groundhog Day, love it!! :)
    definitely great value there alright....

I remember coming out of the cinema from seeing 'cool runnings' for my mates birthday and on the way home in the car, hearing on the radio that john candy had died... ironic i think.... great movies..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think Larianne hit the nail on the head there, it's all films like American Pie these days, crude humour, dick jokes and gross outs.

Just take a look at Old School, it was done better 27 years ago in Animal House. I think the comedy genre has died a death. And... ugh... Romantic Comedy. Just shove bees in my eyes and get it over with.

And... ugh... Romantic Comedy. Just shove bees in my eyes and get it over with.

Ah that made me laugh!! Romantic Comedies 'Urgghh'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Happened to stumble across the HMV (evil place making spend a lot of money) sale today... Picked up the following for €50:
    Just to show my age;

-> Kramer vs Kramer

I was upset seeing the kid get clothes for his birthday

-> Transformers the movie

Orson Welles last movie, just wrong.

-> Groundhog Day

Really Really Really God.

-> The Great Outdoors

Hmmm dubious.

-> See no evil, hear no evil

The greatest funniest movie for a twelve year old "i'm black! does mom know"?

-> Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Just great.

-> Ghostbusters

Sublime.
    pretty good value i think..

After watching trains, planes and automobiles, the great outdoors and see no evil, hear no evil, this is backing up a discussion i had recently, that they dont make films like these anymore!!!!

Kinda weird they just don't make semi intelligent non 18s funny films any more.
    The 80's/early 90's had dozens of great movies like these... buddie movies, family comedies, black comedies etc...
    There hasn't really been a film like 'the great outdoors' or 'the goonies' or 'big' in recent years...

what is it with the movie industry? Are these type of movies no longer popular with today's audience?

Y'know I'm more freaked out about the fact you can't make an "advice and consent" or "judgement at nurmemberg" over the decline of films like the Goonies..... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

You know, the only reason why those movies appeal to you is because they were part of your childhood.. Your childhood is something that you never forgot and any memory from it is cherished. Think of even alot of songs from your childhood which you would of thought at the time were awful but when you hear them 10 years later you like them because of their sentimental value.

The 80's had it's good movies but so did the 90's and so did the 5 years of this decade. When I think of the 90's, I think of the greatest movie ever produced in my opinion - Shawshank Redemption. I think of Usual Suspects, Schindler's List, Pulp Fiction, The Goodfellas, Saving Private Ryan, Forrest Gump and a few more that I can't think of right now. In the last five years we've had the LOTR trilogy and craploads of other great films.

The point being is that every decade had great films. While you remember the Goonies from your childhood, I'm sure there is a Goonies of this decade that your kids will cherish in years to come. It's all opinion- no more, no less. I take great pieces out of every decade and throw away the crap those goes with them too.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote:
    You know, the only reason why those movies appeal to you is because they were part of your childhood.. Your childhood is something that you never forgot and any memory from it is cherished. Think of even alot of songs from your childhood which you would of thought at the time were awful but when you hear them 10 years later you like them because of their sentimental value.
    quite possibly, but i dont think this style of movie is made any more.
    dlofnep wrote:
    The 80's had it's good movies but so did the 90's and so did the 5 years of this decade. When I think of the 90's, I think of the greatest movie ever produced in my opinion - Shawshank Redemption. I think of Usual Suspects, Schindler's List, Pulp Fiction, The Goodfellas, Saving Private Ryan, Forrest Gump and a few more that I can't think of right now. In the last five years we've had the LOTR trilogy and craploads of other great films.
    All the films you mentioned though are serious enough movies and great ones at that, which kinda backs up my point really, that now with better technology etc we can now make the films which were 'harder' to make before. Its great to see these movies, such as LOTR being made, but i think we are forgetting about a classic genre just because special effects are a dime a dozen now.
    dlofnep wrote:
    The point being is that every decade had great films. While you remember the Goonies from your childhood, I'm sure there is a Goonies of this decade that your kids will cherish in years to come. It's all opinion- no more, no less. I take great pieces out of every decade and throw away the crap those goes with them too.
    I dont think the level of 'kids movies' recently has been anywhere near the level that they were in the 80's/90's...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'd also throw (arguably) 'Gremlins' into that mix - and let's not forget 'Back to the Future' trilogies or Indy. In recent years, the only one that springs to mind is 'Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl' which is full of high-adventure with a dash of the terror of 'Ghostbusters'.

ixoy wrote:
    I'd also throw (arguably) 'Gremlins' into that mix - and let's not forget 'Back to the Future' trilogies or Indy. In recent years, the only one that springs to mind is 'Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl' which is full of high-adventure with a dash of the terror of 'Ghostbusters'.
    yes... all great films...

Pirates is indeed in my collection :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

dlofnep wrote:
    You know, the only reason why those movies appeal to you is because they were part of your childhood.
    Yep, only Kramer Vs. Kramer is a classic out of that bunch. Some of the rest mentioned were okay, but to recall "Goonies" and more so "Big" with much fondness requires the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Films like Robocop, the Terminator, The Thing.....they don't make them like they used to, indeed.

These are 3 of my favourite films ever - nothing in recent times is the same. Starship Troopers - now I found that a nice short of throw back to the super violent gimmicky movies of the 80's, but other then that, not much :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

they dont make movies like beetlejuice
    spaceballs
    ferris buellers day off
    labyrinth
    masters of the universe
    aracnophobia
    coming to america

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

One blessing that you have these days is Pixar. Who make simply wonderful films.

But there is a distinct lack of decent family friendly films these days. I have an 8 year old nephew who I have to look after alot and it can be very difficult finding something to bring him to see in the cinema on a weekly basis. Yet there is a new thashy horror film released every single week.

The only comedys you can bring a kid to these days are terrible films staring Rob Schneider or Eddie Murphy... and quite frankly I'd rather smoother the child in his sleep than take him to see something like Daddy Daycare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yep, they don't make nostaliga liked they used to!

I wonder what films the kids of today will be still hanging onto in 10-20 years?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I dont think the level of 'kids movies' recently has been anywhere near the level that they were in the 80's/90's...

Couldn't disagree more - pixar and co. have been banging out some fantastic movies aimed at all ages - mostly kids. Find me a kid (or anyone) these days who doesn't love shrek (which has its basis in stacks of traditional fairy tales - just with a twist), toy story, finding nemo etc. Kids movies are there by the dozen, just you look at them differently as a 20-something and don't treat them like you treated the goonies etc. Think of all the themes of your kids movies and you will find them all in modern movies, all the movies above all have buddy themes, shrek and donkey, woody and buzz etc..what your looking for is in modern cinema but you dont see it as much because like someone else mentioned, sentimentalilty plays a major role in memory.

And for the modern goonies has to be pirates of the carribbean..great swashbuckling adventure comedy type movie with likeable characters.

Oh and Echelon - pray that some hollywood execs aren't reading your sentiments and go about remaking all of your favourite movies of old..i'll hold you personally responsible!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

ixoy wrote:
    In recent years, the only one that springs to mind is 'Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl' which is full of high-adventure with a dash of the terror of 'Ghostbusters'.
    I personally thought "Sahara" did a magnificent job of holding up the Indiana Jones/Goonies end of the dumb action adventure genre.

And "Without a Paddle" was at least as good as the Great Outdoors (which isn't saying a lot).

These types of films are still being made, but they're not affecting you in the same way because either:
    1. You're all growed up. Your cynicism has taken over and you can't allow yourself to be swept up by these dumb movies any more.
    2. You pricks just aren't going to see them.

• Advertisement

Couldn't disagree more - pixar and co. have been banging out some fantastic movies aimed at all ages - mostly kids. Find me a kid (or anyone) these days who doesn't love shrek (which has its basis in stacks of traditional fairy tales - just with a twist), toy story, finding nemo etc.
    They are all animations though.... there were animations 'back in the day' as well...

ObeyGiant wrote:
    I personally thought "Sahara" did a magnificent job of holding up the Indiana Jones/Goonies end of the dumb action adventure genre.

And "Without a Paddle" was at least as good as the Great Outdoors (which isn't saying a lot).

These types of films are still being made, but they're not affecting you in the same way because either:
    1. You're all growed up. Your cynicism has taken over and you can't allow yourself to be swept up by these dumb movies any more.
    2. You pricks just aren't going to see them.
    I have the unlimited card for the UGC, so I get to see the majority of movies released these days. 'Sahara' was enjoyable as was 'Without a paddle'... but there doesn't seem to be enough of them made that can cater for all the family.

Granted some of the films I mentioned are not all for a young audience, but I think what im getting at is the style of movie that is being thrashed out these days. They dont stick in the mind like the older films from that generation of actors...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Couldn't disagree more - pixar and co. have been banging out some fantastic movies aimed at all ages - mostly kids. Find me a kid (or anyone) these days who doesn't love shrek (which has its basis in stacks of traditional fairy tales - just with a twist), toy story, finding nemo etc. Kids movies are there by the dozen, just you look at them differently as a 20-something and don't treat them like you treated the goonies etc.

Yeah Pixar make a fantastic film, once a year.

I worked in a video store through college and the parents with young kids were the worst customers and you had nothing but sympathy for them. The kids love shrek and nemo, but they can only watch them a finite number of times, and it's difficult to stick on finding nemo for the umpteenth time, the release of a decent kids movie was a major event and the sense of palitable relief that *finally* there was something new to stick infront of the kids. The sporadic harry potter, shrek, or star wars leaves a vast waste of weeks between decent new releases.

Whats more the age group of about 9-12 is woefully undermarketed for, too young for fifteen certs, and too grown up for "baby films", they stare at horror films with longing. Occasionally a pirate of the caribbean comes along, but they just don't seem to be tailored for.

Think of all the themes of your kids movies and you will find them all in modern movies, all the movies above all have buddy themes, shrek and donkey, woody and buzz etc..what your looking for is in modern cinema but you dont see it as much because like someone else mentioned, sentimentalilty plays a major role in memory.

And for the modern goonies has to be pirates of the carribbean..great swashbuckling adventure comedy type movie with likeable characters.
    Oh and Echelon - pray that some hollywood execs aren't reading your sentiments and go about remaking all of your favourite movies of old..i'll hold you personally responsible!! ;)

Echo this sentiment we're talking about a Hollywood who remake Guess who's coming to dinner with Ashley Kutcher and Bernie Mac, I mean seriously yes Kutcher will play the Sidney Poiter role and Bernie Mac can play the spencer Spencer Tracy, thats are plausible character replacements.

I can see it now lets remake Brief Encounter with Hilary Duff and Freddy Prince Junior.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

but I think what im getting at is the style of movie that is being thrashed out these days. They dont stick in the mind like the older films from that generation of actors...

Probably cause you haven't seen the newer movies 20times and aren't repeated every christmas or whatever yet. Though i do entirely agree with what you're saying, that, besides the pixar style movies, everything for kids seems a little stupid (eg 17,000 movies about a dog in the NBA or a monkey being a pro skater) and treat the kids like idiots (daddy daycare *shudder*).

The classics just dont seem to exist anymore. Remember Steve Martin in "The Man With Two Brains?!" Oi thats great! Really funny character/actor based feelgood happy movies that dont need serious levels of grossout to keep you entertained. Any aspiring directors/screenwriters on here? get to work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Vorak

I just watched a film today called Le Mepris. It was made ages ago, dunno wat year it was made but dammit anyone who likes movies that are emotionally engaging should see it. It puts the 'blockbuster' to shame. Movies today are'nt engaging or emotional, their just loud, dumb and slightly bigger than the last one. Blockbuster after blockbuster after blockbuster, all structured the same way and each as predictable as the last. They cant make you think deeply about everyday issues or about the human psyche so they just wow you with bullsh*t. I just realised today that we're covering our entire existence with a layer of artificiality and its hard to see whats real anymore. Its reassuring to know that their are still those kind of movies out there. Sure, films like sin city and team america are entertaining and thats cool if thats the mood your in, if you just wanna be entertained. But it takes films Le Mepris to move you, and they dont make moving movies anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I totally agree with the OP ... hence the reason why I've stopped buying the newer movies & am updating my DVD collection with the old "classics"

The scary part is the feeling of being so old ... A few weeks back the daughter of a friend was staying over & I was telling her about my favourite movies as a kid [such as the Goonies et al] ... she'd never heard of it :eek: ... although she's only 15, I'd have thought that she'd have at least seen it once!

The thing is though, Hollywood will keep throwing out sh!te as long as there is people spending their hard earned to watch them!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I have to say I totally agree with the OP and I didnt grow up watching 80s movies because im only twenty. However I absolutley love films like Ghostbusters, The Goonies, Groundhog Day, Back to the Future Trilogy etc and for me it has nothing at all to do with Sentiment. They are just damn good movies that arent made today.

Dont get me wrong I still enjoy todays movies they are entertaining the huge productions and special effects but none of them can beat the likes of Ghostbusters. I love that film!! I have to say I agree that the 80s type comedies are far superier to todays movies with the exception of Pirates of the Caribbean which I love.

I have recently started building a good size DVD collection and so far I have added Indiana Jones trilogy, Back to the Future Trilogy, both Ghostbusters movies, The Goonies, Groundhog Day, Scrooged and im looking to add alot more from around the same time( im a poor student).

I agree fully with the OP. Where have all the fantastic comedies gone. We need another Ghostbusters so I can strap on my proton pack and zap a ghost or 3. I want to call someone when there is something strange in my neighbourhood!!

BRING THEM BACK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

I love all those movies, apart from the first two which I haven't seen.

I should watch them again soon. I always get very sad at the end of "trains, plains and automobiles".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

<Jonny> wrote:
    I always get very sad at the end of "trains, plains and automobiles".
    it does tug at the strings allright...

• Advertisement
Advertisement