Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bizarre Problem

• 27-06-2005 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

So, I installed a wireless card in advance of getting my Smart wireless modem this week.

Its an SMC EZ Connect 22mbps PCI card. The set up utility from their site didn't work, it runs and says it can't detect a card, but when I tell XP to locate the driver it installs perfectly.

To test it I got my girlfriend to create a network on her Powerbook. The Wireless card finds the network. When I try to connect I get yer typical "Warning, unsecure connection", but when I then click to connect....the PC reboots.....

Every time....

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

what type of network did she setup - adhoc or infastructure - also have you update the nic driver and checked for a firmware update for the nic - also have you checked to make sure the nic is compatible with windows xp - also is sp2 installed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭the corpo

not sure what network she set up, i'm sure it was the default mac option.
    have the latest drivers for the card from smc.com. a firmware update would be different?
    installing the driver wasn't smooth though, the smc utility wouldn't work. it runs and can't detect a card. so i add new hardware and point xp into the driver folder and it installs fine. i think i read smc know of the utility prob but haven't fixed it

running xp media centre with sp2

nortons firewall, if it matters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

try a different PCI slot , for the card , rebooting sounds like a slot or power supply issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭the corpo

i tried that. thought it might be the power supply too. my monitor draws power from the PC, so i put it on its own plug, figuring that should give a heap more power to the machine, but alas, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

an SMC EZ Connect 22mbps PCI card. The set up utility from their site didn't work, it runs and says it can't detect a card, but when I tell XP to locate the driver it installs perfectly.

If you had a look in the manual you would see this is normal for the nic let xp detect it and point it towards the driver and THEN install the utility

Also can you try the nic in a different puter to see if reboots at least that way you will know if the nic is the cause or not...

The nic from device manager is it installed properlly or not ???

It could be the nic after all or psu try it in a different system

• Advertisement
Advertisement