Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is an open letter to any ISP that reads Boards.ie

• 27-06-2005 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

I really want Broadband. I am prepared to pay €100 per month for it but it has to be real Broadband not Wireless, Cable, Satellite etc. I just want the same as what is available to anyone living in Dublin, Galway, Cork, etc. etc. etc. I have waited almost 6 years for Broadband to become available in Moate. But when Moate was finally enabled for Broadband I was told my line failed the Broadband test by Eircon. So there you have it. €100pm is up for grabs to any ISP that can supply Broadband to me over my phone line. I live 7 kilometres from Moate. Yes I know it is Sad that it has come to this. But I am desporate.

OHP

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Your wish will be granted....if you move house. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Up to Eircom really. Eircom may have decided that you are paying them sufficient money for ISDN or dial-up that it is not really worth their while sorting you out.

ISPs for the most part resell Eircom wholesale DSL, so you wont be able to get it from the likes of UTV either.

Smart and Esat unbundle lines in exchanges. I'm not sure if Moate is on their list. Doubt it. Your line may still fail of course.

A disadvantage of DSL is that not everyone gets it when an exchange is upgraded. Eircom have pretty conservative criteria for passing lines which adds to the problem and their infrastructure suffers from cost-saving measures like pair gain systems as well as lack of upkeep over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Have you tried emailing phil nolan? He might be able to sort you out as I know from reading these forums that he has a good track record.

I think his address is: phil.nolan@eircom.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

OHP wrote:
    I live 7 kilometres from Moate. Yes I know it is Sad that it has come to this. But I am desporate.
    Dude, would there be a Radio 2 transmitter in the area and can you hear Radio 2 coming out of your phone when you pick it up ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Dude, would there be a Radio 2 transmitter in the area and can you hear Radio 2 coming out of your phone when you pick it up ?
    wow, random

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Honestly 7Km is a long distance for BB!

In US cities they use some sort of repeater(sort of transformer for Signals) to boost the broaband signal to areas too far from the exchange...but it would only be worth eircoms while to install such hardware if you lived in a blackspot with a couple of thousand other potential BB customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Wireless and cable ARE real broadband (once over 256k). Satellite however is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

digiweb are advertising country wide coverage at the mo ...prob satellite

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

OHP wrote:
    I really want Broadband. I am prepared to pay €100 per month for it but it has to be real Broadband not Wireless, Cable, Satellite etc.OHP

Uhm, Cable is real BB. I had DSL and now I have Cable, Cable is better then DSL IMHO.

Wireless is also BB, but not quiet as stable.

bk wrote:
    Wireless is also BB, but not quiet as stable.

Wireless is as good as either if the provider knows what they are doing . Last time I looked us culchies did not have cable TV :)

This board is flooded with ongoing complaints about ONE particular WISP who are an embarrassment to the rest of the industry but that does not constitute a case against Wireless tech per se BK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

You will just have to wait another 6years or move house or send a letter (a real letter)
    to someone that can help you out.

Iv had dsl 3 years and iv decided to get out my REAL broadband and get in wireless
    so my advise is get wireless if you can and stop the moaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Thanks for your input lads. Ok I know Cable & Wireless are also types of Broadband but we don’t have cable in the sticks and I am not sure about Wireless. All I want is BB on my line and there has to be some way of getting it. Without moving house etc. :) Hey Ricey if everyone didn’t MOAN about not having BB then no one would have it :D Murderer I will try that phil.nolan@eircom.ie thank you.

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

OHP wrote:
    Thanks for your input lads. Ok I know Cable & Wireless are also types of Broadband but we don’t have cable in the sticks and I am not sure about Wireless. All I want is BB on my line and there has to be some way of getting it. Without moving house etc. :) Hey Ricey if everyone didn’t MOAN about not having BB then no one would have it :D Murderer I will try that phil.nolan@eircom.ie thank you.

OHP

True bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 andmor

This board is flooded with ongoing complaints about ONE particular WISP who are an embarrassment to the rest of the industry but that does not constitute a case against Wireless tech per se BK.

For your information we had Digiweb Satellite last year. Speeds were 512/128 and never varied. Since April we moved to the WISP in question (whose very name brings me to near apoplexy). We are paying €160 monthly for the 2Mbit up and down service. For the last month we are getting speeds far slower than Digiweb ever was. On the www.irishisptest.com site just now they are 308 kbps down and 40 kbps up. Packet loss to www.eircom.net is 50 %. Customer service is laughable. Each person we have spoken to tells us a different story (one day it's a "router" that's at fault, the next day it's something else). Emails are never replied to and in short we regret having taken down the Digiweb connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

andmor wrote:

For your information we had Digiweb Satellite last year. Speeds were 512/128 and never varied. Since April we moved to the WISP in question (whose very name brings me to near apoplexy). We are paying €160 monthly for the 2Mbit up and down service. For the last month we are getting speeds far slower than Digiweb ever was. On the www.irishisptest.com site just now they are 308 kbps down and 40 kbps up. Packet loss to www.eircom.net is 50 %. Customer service is laughable. Each person we have spoken to tells us a different story (one day it's a "router" that's at fault, the next day it's something else). Emails are never replied to and in short we regret having taken down the Digiweb connection.

Ok, if nobody wants to say their name, I will! The lucky winner is Irish Broadband!

I had an Esat BT 512k/128k connection and I went to IBB as they had a 1Mb/1Mb service. What a mistake THATwas...

Yesterday I was getting the sames speeds as yourself andmor. I actually have a screenshot of a test on www.irishisptest.com with the following results:

Download: 303kbps :(
    Upload: 1.59kbps :mad:

I couldn't even send them an e-mail to tell them about it! It was THAT slow!

I can't believe I'm giving these guys over €80 EUR a month... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

OHP wrote:
    I really want Broadband. I am prepared to pay €100 per month for it but it has to be real Broadband not Wireless, Cable, Satellite etc. I just want the same as what is available to anyone living in Dublin, Galway, Cork, etc. etc. etc. I have waited almost 6 years for Broadband to become available in Moate. But when Moate was finally enabled for Broadband I was told my line failed the Broadband test by Eircon. So there you have it. €100pm is up for grabs to any ISP that can supply Broadband to me over my phone line. I live 7 kilometres from Moate. Yes I know it is Sad that it has come to this. But I am desporate.

OHP
    Do last mile cover your area? Granted, they don't seem to want to have any customers, I emailed them in relation to Ferbane site, seeing if I had Line of Sight, was basically told, it's Business only. Strange, as it's a Group Broadband Scheme.
    But hey, if they don't want my money, tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I can't believe I'm giving these guys over €80 EUR a month... :mad:

You shouldn't have praised them or recommended them. Anyone who does that nearly automatically gets the worst service imaginable shortly afterwards. Mind you, complaining about them does no good either as you still get the worst service imaginable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭7aken

funny that you mention last mile,,,, group broadband is exactly what they 'offer'. yet i know of a whole load of people who've been very dissapointed by them. they get grants from the government to enable group broadband schemes as far as i know,,, maybe call them and see and if they say no for some crap reason... call comreg. which side of moate are you on? i know a guy on the ferbane side who's having the same problems. sickening when all it would take is eircom to run one line of adequate fibre into a rural area (2-3customers) and put up an access point b&^&**

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

7aken wrote:
    funny that you mention last mile,,,, group broadband is exactly what they 'offer'. yet i know of a whole load of people who've been very dissapointed by them. they get grants from the government to enable group broadband schemes as far as i know,,, maybe call them and see and if they say no for some crap reason... call comreg. which side of moate are you on? i know a guy on the ferbane side who's having the same problems. sickening when all it would take is eircom to run one line of adequate fibre into a rural area (2-3customers) and put up an access point b&^&**
    Well, in Ferbane, they've picked the lowest point of the village, the site is the concil offices (old train station/library). Wonder how much they got in subsidy to set it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

OHP wrote:

OHP

grt 40 of your neighbours signed up and get your own ariel ! or call LAst Mile WIreless they are in WEstmeath

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Drapper wrote:

grt 40 of your neighbours signed up and get your own ariel ! or call LAst Mile WIreless they are in WEstmeath

Did that today (rang them) and after a long wait and talking to several different people I do not think I will be ringing them again. I am only 7k from Moate (on the Athlone side). If anyone from Moate / surrounding areas is reading this thread, that cannot get BB (on their phone line). Why not post here and maybe we can all get together as a group and approached an ISP?
    Dare I say it? Even Eircon :rolleyes:

OHP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

IMHO you aint gonna get BB unless you have enough people to get your own base station, eircom will not invest in the equipment for anythin below 2,500 people on an exchange ! so I was told ! Moate is done as far as they are concerned 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

OHP wrote:

OHP

No - cable is not a 'type' of broadband! It's the real deal. NTL offer speeds of up to 3Meg/300K, and, if you were living in Dungarvan you would be checking this site out: www.cablesurf.com :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

No - cable is not a 'type' of broadband! It's the real deal. NTL offer speeds of up to 3Meg/300K, and, if you were living in Dungarvan you would be checking this site out: www.cablesurf.com :D

NTL have the fastest BB in Ireland allright...but wait a year until they have a lot more customers and prepare yourself for IBB scenarios!!!!

Dont believe me???

Take a look at this:
    http://www.broadbandreports.com/forums/all?cat=4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

How can you quote a post that has the Cablesurf website in it and then say that NTL have the fastest broadband in Ireland?

And what does a link to a list of US Cable companies prove? (Or am I completely missing something?)

OHP wrote:
    Why not post here and maybe we can all get together as a group and approached an ISP?
    I don't want to sound negative, but what is an ISP going to do?

Nothing I'd say seeing as he has decided that Wireless ISPs such as Clearwire, Digiweb, and Lastmile who may cover his area (from Athlone) are not really ISPs and seeing as phone lines where he lives cannot support DSL owing to interference from Radio 2 .

Its fibre or nothing for him so get digging to the main Galway Dublin road whereunder lurketh the Western Digital Corridor and Bounteous Bandwidth to ye Dublinne . One Lambda or Two ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Sometimes I feel like the only person who actually thinks IBB are actually pretty good.

I think wireless ISPs are unlikely to be interested in the area given that it is already 'covered' by Eircom. They are better off going for either larger towns where there are lots of customers even though DSL might be there, or smaller towns not yet upgraded with DSL where they can grab lots of customers before Eircom gets there.

I agree, though, that with the wireless operators there is at least some chance. Not relevant in this case though since the requirement is specifically for broadband over the telephone line. We must respect that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement