Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

very bad back garden

Options
  • 27-06-2005 2:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

very bad back garden

what kills overgrowing weeds in your garden, I'm mean very tall weeds,
    I'm looking for a product that will burn the lot?

can anyone recommend something that will work?

please someone must know

as my back in broke....... :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If the ground is somwhat level and even, i'd suggest the following, rather than killing and polluting everything with chemicals:

Hire out a brush mower. That'll cut ANYTHING including brambles and small bushes and mulch it up. Then, once everything is nice and short, keep at it with your normal lawnmower. Without being able to grow leaves, the weeds will soon die, including the roots.

You can then dig out the few resisting rebels (like thistles) ...best with a garden claw. Really bald patches can be lightly raked and grass seed put down.

In a while, you'll have a fairly usable green lawn area.

If its golf court green kinda lawn that you're after ...move ...or dig it all up and start from fresh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If its as bad as it sounds then I dont think the above advice is gonna cut it.
    Once you get rid of all the crap thats been growing you will have a VERY patchy lawn, and the grass thats there will be thick leafed meadow grass, not "lawn".
    however if you turn the soil to a depth of 4-6 inches and mix in a sand, topsoil, compost mixyou will have a good bass for your new lawn.
    Once its all mixed in give the area a good roll , you want it firm so that walking n it doesnt leave footprints.
    Once this is done spread fertilizer (pellets or liquid) and then broadcast your seeds.
    Buy the best seeds you can.
    "Family Lawn" with ryegrass if the lawn will be used and not just looked at.
    Once seeds are down give another roll to ensure good seed to soil contact.
    Give a light watering to get the soil moist to a depth of about 1-2 inches.
    Cover with netting or twine with ribbons tied on at intervals.
    You are growing grass, not feeding birds ! :eek:
    keep the top inch or so moist for the next 2 weeks or so, until you start to see green.
    this could well mean watering everyday for the next while.
    Try water in the evenings but not too late, dont want your grass to be too wet at night due to fungus.
    Dont walk on it if at all possible.
    Use a sprinkler as a hose will wash away the seeds.
    Once the grass is showing water less often but deeper, to a depth of ,maybe 6 inches.
    Let us know how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

Can you show us a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

A picture would be very useful (if not too embarrassing :))

If it is anything as bad as my one was and the whole garden is covered with tall stuff, you will need to do a bit of hard work and have some patience. Get some Roundup Weedkiller in liquid form. You can get a 500ml bottle for about 25 Euro, if memory serves me. When watered down, that will treat about 250 square metres of dense weeds (brambles, nettles, dock leaves, etc). It isn't particularly poisonous, so there should be no problems with children or animals.

It is likely that you would need to retreat (after a couple of weeks) if there is regrowth. This stuff kills grass and any other plants, so go with it if you are getting rid of everything and starting from scratch.

With the weeds killed, you will be left with a load of brown stalks, so cut them down with a petrol strimmer or garden shears and rake out the leftover crap. Then hire a tilling machine, or whatever you call them, or if the area isn't too big, get out your garden fork and turn over all the earth and get rid of all the roots (by breaking up the soil on a fork a few times to get the roots to the surface, then rake the roots away) to ensure no regrowth.

Then you have a blank canvas to work with. If you have the money and a big enough area, you could buy lawn turf to lay. Otherwise wait until autumn to plant a lawn.

This approach worked for my garden which became infested through lack of care over the years with nettles, brambles and those tall thick leafy weeds that I cannot remember the name of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jay567

Paraquat, kills all green it comes into contact with. very strong stuff! be carefull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Had the same problem.

Just moved in and the front and back garden was just 3 feet high with huge thick weeds.
    Hired a strimmer on wheels. Has 4 thick strimmer blades. All I can say is that it was the best EU20 spent Took everything down.

regards

Garyh3

Advertisement