Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better pay monthly option?

Options
  • 27-06-2005 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

Was out in o2 shop in dundrum shopping centre saturday, they are offering a nokia 6610 and an ipod mini for 200 euro if you sign up for one of the choices plans. You also get the first 6months free line rental and 100 free text messages from your phone a month. Is there any better offer out there?

Im definitely changing to pay monthly and just wanted to know before I make the change, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

It's the norm to enter a 12 month contract when you get a bill phone, however because of the type of offer O2 are making they may require you to sign a contract that lasts longer than that. you should check this before commiting - like it could be 18 or 24 months. The lenght of your contract will also affect how long before you would be eligible for an upgrade since upgrading involves signing a new contract.

Also, the O2 offer may sound tempting but the O2 tariffs offer poor value generally when compared to Meteor or Vodafone. O2's Choices options give you a certain amount of 'credit' which is used at a rate dependant on the type of call you're making and at the time of day, whereas Vodafone and Meteor give you anytime minutes to any network. With most of the Choice's options you'll find that only if you make most of your calls at off peak times to other people on the same network would you actually be able to spend the same amount of time on the phone as a VF or meteor customer spending a similar amount as you on line rental. Also, you'll find meteor's billpay rates undercut most O2 options and Vodafone offer you call a friend for free which O2 make you pay an additional €7.50 for the luxury of. While both meteor and Vodafone give you free voicemail O2 would make you pay another €7.50 for 'free' voicemail.

Don't be tempted by the promotional offer without knowing the full details of what is on offer and what option you're signing up to. Also make sure you check out competitor offers/price plans as well. I think with O2 you can only change your option three times a year without incurring a fee and the contract you sign as part of that offer may compel you to be on that particular option for a certain lenght of time. with VF or meteor you can change your option as often as you like to suit your usage. Meteor are giving free fones with alot of their bill options so maybe it would work out just as cheap to go with them and get an ipod seperately.

Look at it like this - if you commit to a high cost option with O2 for 18-24 months then you may end up paying more overall than had you just incurred the cost of an ipod seperately up front and connected to better value option that can be changed anytime with one of the other networks in a 12 month contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I don't know if it is still the case but the free money with o2 used to be worth more than the minutes with Vodafone. This was years ago so I am not sure what Vodafones new tarrifs are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

O2s webtext allows you to send 250 Web tests for free to anywhere in the world every month...

So very handy if you have freiends abroad - instead of paying 25c per text!

As far as i know Meteor and Vodafones webtexts are only to Irish networks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

thanks for replies, went into o2 store in dundrum yesterday and took the deal, ended up getting more than i thought....

for 200 euro, ipod mini 4gig, nokia 6610i, 128 meg flash mp3 player, 200 free texts for 6 months then 100 free per month after, free line rental for 6months(so i took most expensive option, i can change after 6months, manager verified this),

im well happy with all my new toys hehe, but just in case i kept my old meteor sim, ive loads of extras built up on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

Hi tw0nk
    Just curious....

What is your contract term with o2?
    12/18/24 months?

I'm surprised that they will let you donwgrade your line package after the 6 months free rental are over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

geecee wrote:
    Hi tw0nk
    Just curious....

What is your contract term with o2?
    12/18/24 months?

I'm surprised that they will let you donwgrade your line package after the 6 months free rental are over!

My Contract is 1 year, which is great, means i only have to pay 6 months line rental, and yeah its funny that they let you change after 6 months but its in their terms and conditions that you can change plan every 6 months, im not complaining :)

Advertisement