Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

extending a hip roof

Options
  • 27-06-2005 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi,
    Is it possible to extend a hip roof (slates) out the back of the house so that the entire roof is extended. This would leave a flat rectangular section at the very top. Hope that makes sense.
    What are the dangers about this option. Would leaks at the flat bit be a major problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Are you trying to achieve a slate face on the roof with a flat roof on top ? if that is what you want there is no problem, the detail is what counts for the appearance.

The life expectancy depends on the material you use and of couse the roof should be sloped to fall to allow the flat roof drain the water with as little obstruction as possible.

It is possible to extend hip roofs matching the existing if that is your preferance, I presume the eason for the flat roof is to eliminate a valley or gain ceiling height ?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kerinsp

Thanks Peter,
    we are in initial stages of planning a 2-story extension. Our architect had some plans where the hip was extended from one hip back behind the house (I don't know the lingo). This would be the easier way to extend the existing roof but then he suggested that we could do a full 2 story extension using the full width of the house by using the flat section on top as I described. We would be using slate again of course.
    I just hadn't seen this done before and I was wondering would it leak on top or cost a fortune to do! So they just put a little fall on the flat bit on top without any worries then. Thats good to know.

thanks again
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Paul,

Flat or low slope roofs have a bad reputation in general, the true reasons for failures can be traced back to what were short time products pre 1980, and the cheaper quality of the blended membranes on the market today.

One fault all systems have in common is workmanship, they usually fall down on attention to detail, the same can be said of slate or tiles.

The materials available today can give a life expectancy of at least thirty years, the key to getting the long life is minor maintenance which mainly involves protection from UV rays.

Standards have improved, ensure the installers have a valid Construction Skills Certificate in built up and single ply roofing, it is a card similar to a credit card that any person who qualified will be happy to show you.

Advertisement