Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Celebrities' luxury cars seized after tax scam

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

blastman wrote:
    ..... Meanwhile, due to a clause in some customs regulation in Ireland, if a car is more than six months old or and/or (not sure whether it's one or other or both) 6000 miles on the clock, then you don't have to pay VAT here, so the D4 set could get new fancy machinery, ......

If there is a loop hole, ie a valid one, they exploited. then fair dues to them for finding it and I fail to see how the cars could be confiscated. Acts of desperation by a Gov eager to fulfill the election promises, or some tax hunter out to make a killing and retire?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

There was no loophole. They evaded tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

they didnt evade a thing as far as im concerned if they paid uk vat at 17.5% which i am almost certain they did, they paid their dues. to persue them for 21% even though they paid 17.5 in the uk is crazy.

if the uk isnt vatting cars on export where the vat has been reclaimed thats the uks problem not irelands one.

and to most of these people another 20 or 30 wont kill them, most of their houses alone are worth 2-3 mill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Most of their many houses you mean :):p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Anyone who can afford a 250grand motor, has plenty of money on the bank. They have the money and resources to scope out tax loop holes and the like. I'd do it. The government has been creaming off the low/middle wage earners alot more and easier than high wage earners.

The own businesses and buy nice 05 jeeps and cars, and claim the VAT back through the business. I don't own a business, I can't clain the VAT back from anything.

Look at the horse owners and stud owners in this country, for goodness sake. Loads of money, no TAX to be paid on sale of horses. Charming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

I dont think a company can claim the vat back on a car purchase afaik, I may be wrong though... if they can, Im straight over to the USA for a car.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

If they have a problem with the tax then take to the streets and campaign against it. Don't evade the tax and pull up the wealth ladder leaving the rest of us to suffer an unjust taxation system

........I agree with your points Mailman........well said !

Question ? Are all the cars in question Uk registered ? If so then the whole garage/export/VAT thing doesn't come into it ! You cannot get UK plates unless it is regsitered in the UK and all monies paid. If it was exported then they would have temporary export plates and the Customs in the Country of intended residence would be notified.

So my guess is that these cars ARE all on UK plates and the idea was that since they had 6000 miles or more on them, they were at least 6 months old, and most of these folk had other UK residences then they thought they'd get away without paying VRT. However if they have been used IN Ireland for over 6 months then that is against VRT regulations................so the Customs guys made a list..............and then collected !

It wouldv'e been worth their while to stalk a few of these cars regularly and build up eveidence !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Kersh wrote:
    I dont think a company can claim the vat back on a car purchase afaik, I may be wrong though... if they can, Im straight over to the USA for a car.. :)

I brought this up and to be honest I'm thinking it may not apply in this case anyway. A company can certainly reclaim the vat on a commercial vehicle, no issue there. Because most company cars are leased, I believe the company can reclaim the vat as leasing invoices always include vat. But there wouldn't have been any leasing involved in this scenario. So .... I dunno :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

clock car to 6000 miles. backdate invoice to 6 months previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Mailman wrote: »
    clock car to 6000 miles. backdate invoice to 6 months previous.
    exactly the same thing occurred to me. would cost £50-£100 for them to get them clocked forward to 6000 miles and then get them put back to the real mileage once they've got 6000 genuine miles on them. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jesus , this thread is so old the poster your replying to is preobably dead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement