Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hummus

• 27-06-2005 1:17pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can anybody tell me where I can get Hummus from, I was over at a friends house for dinner last week and she served hummus as a dip for starter and I couldnt believe it was made from chickpeas... and it tastes nicer than most crappy dips... but I was looking for it in the supermarket last week and I couldnt find it, can you only get it from certain health food places or is it widely available???

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Erm, sorry but, why don't you ask your friend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I think SOMEBODY was a bit greedy with the Hummus.....Blamed the family cat but nobody really believed her...Now it would be telling to inquire where the said product was bought.

I COMPLETELY understand.

Bought some of this in local Tescos the other day - with Garlic, yum.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

To Sinecurea - The girl is my bf's brothers gf so I dont really see her much and I assumed I could get it in any supermarket, probably should have asked her at the time but sure what can ya do....

To Raiser - Wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Alternatively go to an Asian shop and pick up a container of tahinii for about 3 euro and a few tins of chickpeas and make your own.

2 cloves garlic
    1 can Chickpeas
    Juice of 1 lemon
    2 tbsps Olive oil
    6 tbsps Tahinii
    Salt and pepper
    Chopped Fresh parsley or Coriander for garnish.

Ok you need to open the peas and seperate the liquid and the peas and reserve the liquid for use. Put the peas and some of the reserved liquid with the lemon juice in a blender and blend until you have a consistency you like, this should be somewhere between whipped cream and cement () it should not be runny but nice and chunky and thick. Once you have blended that then add most of the olive oil and the tahinii and blend further. Once all the ingredients have been blended together then you need to season with salt and pepper then stand in the fridge for at least an hour or two if not overnight to allow the flavours to mingle and to chill it. Garnish with Parsley and drizzle the rest of the olive oil over the top ( cos I think coriander tastes like fairy liquid ) Serve with pittas or French bread.

<edit>
    I forgot to mention that if you do this it is tastiest if left overnight in the fridge to give the flavours a chance to mingle, although it is not necessary it is a lot nicer and beats the tesco one although it is very similar to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

xzanti wrote:
    I assumed I could get it in any supermarket
    Normally you can. You have a bad local supermarket. Or a supermarket where the staff don't know where things are and don't even know what half the things you ask them for directions to are.

That's it, you can get it in any supermarket, but you may not find it in any supermarket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

They definitely sell it in Tesco, Superquinn and Marks & Spencers. I'm a huge fan and even though it's the cheapest, of all the hummus I've tried including that made in restaurants, Tesco's own brand is by far my favourite. It's lovely with pitta bread as a snack mmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Tesco has the best alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Saw it in Centra Terenure today, tis in the fridge above the cheeses beside the freezer compartment . I was reading this post before i visited and thought ohh..so thats what it is!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Don't like the stuff myself, but my second eldest loves it. For a while she seemed to be attempting to live on hummus alone and had to be coaxed to eat anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

If your ever in the Cedar Tree try the hummus there, YUM!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I get it in Tesco's (I'm addicted to the stuff!) I've also seen it in Health food shops (organic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

go to iskanders turkish restaurant on dame street or marks and sparks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Tesco do a fairly nice hummus, but the one in M&S is bigger and a little cheaper - and I think it's a lot tastier too. I have made my own in the past but buying it ready-made is just a LOT easier. If you want to pass some off as your own, just dish it out and sprinkle a little paprika on the top - gives it that rustic, home-made look ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Make it yourself but if you want some good pre-made stuff.. the best i know of is Avoca handweavers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Tesco's is brilliant. Thanks for re-introducing it to my diet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Houmous has a partner in crime, taramasalata.... can't try one without the other I reckon...

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

Try thre organic market in Temple Bar on a saturday morning-a friend brought me over some from there..amazing!!

Advertisement