Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kite Surfing Lessons?

Options
  • 27-06-2005 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I've heard thatyou can get kite surfing lessons in Dublin somewhere, I've often watched kite surfing on sandymount strand it looks amazing, i'd love to give it a shot.

Does anyone know anything about these rumoured lessons?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭arrietty

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭crazy days

already checked it out sent an email but had no replys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 caracal

try www.iksa.ie for a list of instructors

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭JP Mulvano

Checkwww.nrk.ie this website out I found for lessons.

Don't know what they're like but it seems to be pretty ok. anyone had any expirience with them as I'm thinking of heading out for a 1 day course wih them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 IR182

You should go windsurfing instead, theres a new center opened up in Dublin called DMG watersports, you should google it.Other centers round Ireland are, Rusheen bay Windsurfing(Galway) , OysterHaven(cork), Jamie knox (kerry)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Battlejuice

As a (former) Windsurfer i'd wholeheartedly recommend Kitesurfing as a much more fun sport than windsurfing. To each their own I suppose.
    As for lessons, STAY WELL CLEAR OF NRK.IE, you will be sorely disappointed, as i was. Post a request on Kitesurfing.ie, loads of good heads there who will have u pulling jumps by the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭JP Mulvano

Dude I read that post I swear for some reason my brain translated (former) Windsurfer as former Westlifer. I was like wtf has westlife got to do with kitesurfing.

yes I'd agree very dissappointed by NRK couldnt even get their act together to organise it properly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

deffo keep away from nrk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

any of you in UCD, there is a kite club lookin for members....they go out every sunday...

where do they go??

i know there is a windsurf club that goes out ever sunday, but where do they kite

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hambo

I dont know what happened to you 68 souls and jp but i went out for lessons with nrk and they were really good, they provided all the equipment from their lockup in clontarf, close to dollymount, really professional, got up on the board on the first day...

I had a lesson a couple of years before with a french guy who was a complete nobhead...

Hambo i have been kitesurfing for 4 years.
    i have seen NRK teach in tottaly unsuitable and dangrous conditions.
    gusty winds offshore etc.

they are the only school who use so called assistant instructors, these "Assistant Instructors" not only have no qualification but can not kitesurf.
    they are simply there to allow nrk pass through more students.basically they stick you with a clown, and go off teaching more students. ask the assistants if they can kitesurf and if they say yes ask them how long they have been kitesurfing.
    with other instructors you get their attention for the full lesson.

I have talked to students who have had bad experiences with their head instructor.

they had one good instructor who has set up his own kite school. by pure coincidence he is french but deffo not the nob head you had.

if in doubt put apost on www.kitesurfing.ie asking for instructors and feed back. see what happens.
    Ask any experienced kitesurfer and see who they don't recomend.

No offence HAMBO but you have just had lesson and don't know better. I'm glad you had a good time, however once your abit more experience you'll see what a joke nrk is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hambo

Well 68 Lost souls - all I can go off is the lessons I have had, and they were excellent, there was two IKO instructors for the lessons, both are on the IKO list and both have instructors insurance aswell, cos i checked. There was no assistants out with us...

We had to reschedule the course previously due to the wind direction being offshore cos NRK postponed the course - so I dont think that they do teach in offshore wind, and part of the training was what conditions are safe to kitesurf in, so i dont know where you are going with your information...we were all in headgear and life jackets, I saw a guy out with that other french guy and he didnt even have a wetsuit for him plus he had no helmet and no life vest, in February and the guy was in a shorty -- how bad is that??

These guys at nrk are really good, i'd recommend them, I've been out with them again since for another 2 hour session and ok i might only be a beginner but you have to start somewhere plus they were easily the cheapest by a mile on the equipment i priced up...300 euro cheaper on most of the new kites!!!

it sounds to me like you dont know what you're talking about, and just bad mouthing these guys, you're talking rubbish, why slag off a school if you've not had lessons from them yourself??

Advertisement