Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DJ Carey.

• 27-06-2005 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

I've always rated DJ Carey as the best hurler of my particular generation. I wouldn't be a hurling expert (being from Kildare)but I have a big interest in it.

As I'm living in Cork it sort of bugs me when they don't rate him as a hurler at all. Whats do other posters think?

Is he over-rated? Or are the Corkonians just jealous of such a fantastic hurler not being form their county?
    Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

carey got an all_star a few year back in the wrong position and in a year there were better players than him.

maybe some jealousy. Same as people might be with Canavan perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭madmorphy

Certainly one of the greatest players of his generation,but personally i think the kilkenny team has been carrying him for the last 2 or 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Big Ears

madmorphy wrote:
    Certainly one of the greatest players of his generation,but personally i think the kilkenny team has been carrying him for the last 2 or 3 years.

I agree he is definetly overated but he does have quite a lot of talent . Shefflin is by far a more important and better player .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

maybe now this minute , but what age is DJ!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

I probably should have said at his peak he was the best player. Cork people never rated him even at his peak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

At his peak (which lasted about 10 years) he was without doubt the best player the modern game has ever seen (imo). For me it was the incredible ease with which he gained possession and made room for himself - it looked almost as if the backs were running away from him when he shimmied and twisted. Definately a travesty that he didn't made the team of the millinium.
    For the record I'm not from Kilkenny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

hawker wrote:
    Cork people never rated him even at his peak.
    ??? Please don't attribute the opinion of one or two of your Cork friends to the other 430,000 of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭jd

Illkillya wrote:
    ??? Please don't attribute the opinion of one or two of your Cork friends to the other 430,000 of us.
    shuddder..there's that many of ye..!!

Illkillya wrote:

I'm not attributing the opinion of my one or two of my Cork friends. I'm simply stating the facts. The majority of the Cork people DO NOT rate DJ Carey. The majority of them also state he'll never be like Christy Ring and these are people who never saw Christy Ring play. ????????

You never mentioned your own opinion on DJ Carey. Why? All you did was have a go at me for stating facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

"Stating facts"

Need I draw the card of 87% of statisics are made up on the spot?

Of the 430,000 corkonians you have asked, how many exactly said they dont rate him?
    Where are you getting these statistics from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭kkposse

DJ is easily the greatest player of this generation without question!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

passed his sell by date. greatest hurler of this generation maybe come on you actually watch christy ring on video he had every skill in the book dj is a wimp compared to that man!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭kkposse

don't worry i'm sure the dj video will be just as good as christy's video!

Mear wrote:
    "Stating facts"

Need I draw the card of 87% of statisics are made up on the spot?

Of the 430,000 corkonians you have asked, how many exactly said they dont rate him?
    Where are you getting these statistics from?

I can safely say I have chatted to at least 60 Cork fans about DJ Carey and have no doubt that of them 50 (probably more) stated that they didn't rate DJ.

Where did I say that i asked 430,000 Corkonians? I merely stated that the majority I have spoken to do not rate him. They surely represent Corkonians as a whole.

Can't see what the big deal is. It's not exactly a mortal sin not to rate him. Everyone is entitled to a different opinion on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

hawker wrote:
    I'm not attributing the opinion of my one or two of my Cork friends. I'm simply stating the facts. The majority of the Cork people DO NOT rate DJ Carey. The majority of them also state he'll never be like Christy Ring and these are people who never saw Christy Ring play. ????????

You never mentioned your own opinion on DJ Carey. Why? All you did was have a go at me for stating facts.
    I didn't have a go at you for 'stating the facts', it was for gross exaggeration. There is a huge difference between not rating a player, and thinking hes better than Christy Ring. I think this thread should be called 'is DJ Carey better than Christy Ring'. My own opinion is similar, I would imagine, to that of most Cork people - of course I rate DJ, he was a great player. To say that hes better than Christy ring is something else entirely.

Illkillya wrote:
    I didn't have a go at you for 'stating the facts', it was for gross exaggeration. There is a huge difference between not rating a player, and thinking hes better than Christy Ring. I think this thread should be called 'is DJ Carey better than Christy Ring'. My own opinion is similar, I would imagine, to that of most Cork people - of course I rate DJ, he was a great player. To say that hes better than Christy ring is something else entirely.

I really don't know how you can say I'm exaggerating. Anyoone I have spoken to always have said that 'DJ has done it against the Offaly's, Dublin's and Laois's of the hurling world but he has never done it against the Corks or Tipperary's'. I'm sorry but that to me is not exaggeration.

How can you try and compare DJ and Christy? Have you seen Christy Ring play in the flesh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭River Allow

Hauker- We in Cork may have never seen Christy in the flesh but we don't need to. We've seen documentaries about him, read books about him, seen old videos of matches he has played n... He is a legend and we in Cork often wonder if the man was human at al...There will never be the likes of him again, he was and is in a league of his own! Excuse me, but I do think Dj Carey was a class hurler and definitely rated him as the best forward in the country... a few years ago. He has lost it though and should just retire while he is still ahead. He scored absolutely nothing in the last two all-Irelands. In fact, he didn't rub a ball!

Hauker- We in Cork may have never seen Christy in the flesh but we don't need to. We've seen documentaries about him, read books about him, seen old videos of matches he has played n... He is a legend and we in Cork often wonder if the man was human at al...There will never be the likes of him again, he was and is in a league of his own! Excuse me, but I do think Dj Carey was a class hurler and definitely rated him as the best forward in the country... a few years ago. He has lost it though and should just retire while he is still ahead. He scored absolutely nothing in the last two all-Irelands. In fact, he didn't rub a ball!

And do you not think these video's/books only show/write the best days?

I (nor you) are in a position to compare these two players. Only people that had the privilege of seeing both in their playing days can judge them.

It's actually quite amusing that you even attempt to compare because you have read books and watched video's. It's something really hurling fans wouldn't do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

hawker wrote:
    Is he over-rated?

In a word..no. He still has the skill and ability to do that something that turns a game. His contribution towards kilkenny success over the last few years has been declining or so it would seem. I go to all kilkenny's championship games and have watched dj closely in the last year. Kilkenny now have dj doing something which doesnt even require him to touch the ball but is proving hugely effective.

Hauker- How dare you come on here and question my knowledge of hurling.. you don't know me! Granted, it may only show his best days but on his best days, the man was just unstopable. Hauker, every hurler has a bad day! Even your beloved Dj Carey has bad days(PAST TWO YEARS HAVE BEEN BAD DAYS FOR HIM!) I know that Ringy is better than DJ, thats just my opinion, ok! And maybe, I may never have seen him but my parents have, my grandparents have and the stories Ive heard from them would just send shivers up your spine to think that there was ever a hurler that good!(Slight sarcasm!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

DJ was the World U-23 Handball Champion back in the day - he was a brilliant handballer, pity he didn't keep it up. Young Richie Hogan is another example of how playing lots of handball when younger can improve your hurling skills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭DUB

DJ has been far from his best for a few years now, Shefflin has ovetaken him in importance to the team, but in his prime DJ was something else. He is only 33 or something but looks about 10 years older for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

DJ Carey has been the best hurler of the modern era. I don't think there is much debate about it.

ok, I just want to clear something...
    Christy had 8 all-Ireland medals- 1941,'42,'43,'44,'46,'52,'53,'54.
    He played in 10
    He has 1 minor medal- 1938
    He has 4 national league medals- 1940,'41,'48,'53
    He played in 7 league finals
    He has 18 railway cup medals-1942,'43,'44,'45,'46,'48,'49,'50,'51,'52,'53,'55,'57,'58,'59,'60,'61,'63.
    He has 14 Cork county senior hurling medals-1941,'44,'45,'48,'49,'50,'53,'54,'58,'59,'60,'62,'64,'67.
    He played in 18 county finals.
    He has 1 Cork county senior football medal- 1954.
    He has 1 Cork county minor hurling medal- 1938
    He has 1 junior hurling medal- 1939.
    Munster club medal- 1965
    He received a texaco award in 1959 when awards were scarce.
    He entered the texaco hall of fame in 1971
    He was both selector and captain of Corks 1946 all-Ireland winning team.
    He was selector when Cork won all-Irelands in 1976,'77 and '78.
    He played on the Cork senior team from 1939 to 1963 (24 years).
    Played on Munster Railway cup team from 1941 to 1963 (22 years).
    Played on Glen Rovers senior hurling team from 1941 to 1967 (26 years).
    Last but definitely, not least, he captained Cork to three All-Ireland's in 1946, 1953 and 1954.

Now Hauker, when DJ Carey has all that achieved come back to me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Give it a rest river allow, nobody is doubting Christy Rings ability, but we are allowed say nice things about other players too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Ring was good. Most of us here never got to see him play. DJ is the best of the modern era and there have been many other great players. We are all Hurling fans and we know there can be no winner to a "Who is the greatest?" debate, so let's pay tribute to them all and enjoy what they do. That much we can agree on.

You are not reading my point. DJ is the best of my generation. I'm sure C Ring was a fantastic hurler. However, as you nor I never had the privilege of seeing Ring play we cannot even begin to compare.

You have mentioned all the achievements that Ring has won. It's a team game and as with all brillant players, they need other players to help them achieve their goals. Hurling is a TEAM sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement