Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

V800 flaky 3g network connection?

Options
  • 27-06-2005 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

My SE V800 wasn't taking calls this lunchtime (Athlone).
    Someone who was trying to reach me got through to me
    through someone else and told me my phone wasn't answering.
    I checked the phone and there was a 3g icon which I hadn't seen
    before next to the small signal indicator icon on the top left of
    the phone screen.

Is it possible that I am being exposed to flakiness of the 3g
    network ? My brother mentioned something like this (he is
    out of the country and I'd normally ask him)
    Are some folks asking Vodafone to temporarily set their
    profile up so that they remain on the 2.5g network until
    problems are resolved ? All I know is that when I powered
    the phone down and back up again my access in/out for
    voice calls was re-established and it would seem like
    the failure happened when my phone locked on to the 3g
    network in Athlone.

ipl

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Hmmm, that's a good point actually.

Basically the current GSM/GPRS network's being overlayed with a "3GSM" (UMTS) 3G network which will handle all of your traffic voice, video, data. So, basically it's a bit like roaming when you're on the GSM/GPRS 2.5G network.

I assume vodafone should be able to set the phones up to only jump onto the 2.5G system when the 3G signal's above a certain value. Otherwise, you might have problems.

I certainly know that friends of mine who used 3 UK had nightmarish experiences with coverage despite the national roaming agreements. The phone would always try to use 3 in London and coverage inside buildings and in many ares of the city was pathetic compared to any of the 2.5G networks.

Give vodafone a call and see if they can sort it out.

Also, check your phone's menus and see if there are any user-programmable settings that might help things. e.g. make sure that you put the Vodafone IE network as your prefered roaming network. It might just speed things up when the phone goes hunting.

I think the ideal scenario would have been to keep the phone's voice services on GSM and only use 3G for advanced features until the networks are more solidly built out. That way you'd always have good voice and sms service. However, I don't know how the handsets actually handle this.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iplogger1

Actually I spoked with my brother and did some google searching and
    both advised to try on V800, connectivity->mobile networks->preferred network->GSM. However, on my phone settings it doesn't offer me an
    option like that for some reason. However, I can manually select from
    available networks and I chose the Vodafone network without the
    asterisk (assume its 2.5G/GSM) and I set the "search mode" to manual
    so that hopefully I won't roam haplessly into 3G again and risk losing
    voice calls. When the network stabilises I'll revise this.

ipl

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You have the old software version. Get this updated and you can select 2G. I would imagine that the problems you are experiencing are being causing by your being in area where 3G coverage is patchy..

My experiences for the past 2 months with 3G have been excellent when compared with the first few months. If you are on the edge of coverage areas you will have some probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iplogger1

Interesting thanks.

So what else is on the new software or is it just this tweak to
    select type of network?

ipl

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I am not 100% to be honest..

• Advertisement
Advertisement