Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building new BF2 rig

Options
  • 27-06-2005 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭

My computer is hilariously out dated and doesn't have a hope of runninjg BF2 so I'm gonna bite the bullet and build a new rig. A friend suggested something like this (below) for me. Anyone have any opinions/suggestions? I want to keep it at around 1000euro. Cheers.

Prices in GBP£
    MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra £93.94
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 90nm £199.69
    Connect3D ATI Radeon X800 XL 256MB £199.99
    Coolermaster Cavalier 3 – Silver £66.39
    Antec TruePower 2.0 430W PSU £68.09
    2x Crucial 512MB DDR PC3200 CAS3 £63
    Logitech MX510 Performance Optical Mouse £31
    Total £722 + shipping

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It really needs 2 gig of RAM. 1 gig is the bare minimum and it needs every k of that. Running it on 512meg must be a painful experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'd say 1536 megs of ram would be more than enough. 2048 may cost too much for some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

No home pc in this day needs 2gigs of ram, thats ridiculous. :eek: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Spear wrote:
    It really needs 2 gig of RAM. 1 gig is the bare minimum and it needs every k of that. Running it on 512meg must be a painful experience.

Eh...hardly

I have 1gig and it runs absolutely fine at high settings. Maybe check your computer for memory leaks or something ;)

As praetorian said, if you really must, go to 1.5 - dont bother with 2 at this stage. You could always upgrade later.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Eh...hardly

I have 1gig and it runs absolutely fine at high settings. Maybe check your computer for memory leaks or something ;)

As praetorian said, if you really must, go to 1.5 - dont bother with 2 at this stage. You could always upgrade later.

It runs fine on 1gig for me, as long as there's nothing else running whatsoever. So much as a Firefox browser window can cause an unplayable amount of disk thrashing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Excellent. Oh man I can't believe I'm going to all this trouble just to play BF2 (and a few other upcoming games)...

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

all u need is 1 gig of ram , one of the new geforce or ati cards and a 2.2ghz processor or better. anything else is not so important. base your machine on those and u should be ok.

How are you guys finding the load times. When I was playing 1942 and Nam the load times were a couple of minutes. How fast would you say the above rig will load a map?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

a couple of minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Ravelleman wrote:
    How are you guys finding the load times. When I was playing 1942 and Nam the load times were a couple of minutes. How fast would you say the above rig will load a map?

Litreally a minute. BFV was a little bit more. Also i use 1gb ram and i used to have 1.5gb ram.

• Advertisement

I just ordered my the new rig (with one or two changes). It should be here on Monday or Tuesday and will be ready for use on Wednesday. I'm so excited :D. Battlefield here I come (again)!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Where did you order it from?

www.overclockers.co.uk

A friend recommended them to me. Prices seem pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭tim3115

What graphics card is most recommend for BF2?

6800 ULTRA or any of the high end ATI cards.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I had the luxury of testing both the X800XL and 6800GT on my rig before i chose and must say the X800XL gave the best performance.
    Both are excellent but i like running with FSAA and this was where the X800XL eased ahead of the 6800GT.
    Im getting between 60-100 fps with edited ultra high settings for all cept lighting and shadows which are on medium [look almost the same as ultrahigh lighting and shadows],1280X1024@100hz,4XFSAA.
    With regard to 1 gig and 2 gig of ram no difference cept loading times is slightly faster with 2.
    Check out this guide.
    http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-x-2147-x-x-x&body_pagenum=5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭tim3115

I saw this for 231 Euro

PowerColor Radeon X800 256MB DDR1 PCI-Express, DVI-I, Tv-Out, Retail

Good/bad? :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Correct me if im wrong but i thinl the x800 as with the 6800 has only 12 pipes onboard whereas the x800xl and 6800gt have 16.
    Read that guide i linked above,i think it states where the 12 pipe cards lag behind the 16 pipe ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

1gb of ram should do you fine, its what 90% of the people here are using, id reckon. Get yourself a nice ATI or Nvidia card and youll be sorted. I use the x800 pro 256, its a bit cheaper than the XL's, and performancewise its great, i have almost all settigns on max, the only ones i have at medium are shadows & effects i think.

Deadwing wrote:
    1gb of ram should do you fine, its what 90% of the people here are using, id reckon. Get yourself a nice ATI or Nvidia card and youll be sorted. I use the x800 pro 256, its a bit cheaper than the XL's, and performancewise its great, i have almost all settigns on max, the only ones i have at medium are shadows & effects i think.

and your still pants :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

youre gonna pay for that comment, ho :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

1gig of high performance ram should be fine

Advertisement