Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap OEM Software

• 27-06-2005 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

I'm looking for the cheapest MS Office (Porfessional / Reg) edition I can get.

http://bestcds.su/

is offering incredible prices, anyone know if this is above board?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Looks very Dodgy, The Credit Card Checkout isent secure.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

The FAQ section makes it look even dodgier. OEM my arsé! Nothing more than warez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

specially this one

You don't have to pay that much for the fancy box and manuals.

This software is recognized as a backup software.

me smells a dodgy site

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm looking for the cheapest MS Office (Porfessional / Reg) edition I can get.

http://bestcds.su/

is offering incredible prices, anyone know if this is above board?

I didn't even bother to look , there are far too many of these sites.

Any site that mentions the word BACKUP is well dodgy.
    Any site that offers to sell OEM without insisting that you buy hardware is dodgy.
    Any site offering software for a lot less than it costs as a pre-installed option on a Dell or similar is probably dodgy.

Microsoft have office stitched up, you can't get it really cheap unless you buy an old version that is advertised as second hand , and even then you can't buy OEM.

Try OpenOffice
    Try an academic version if you are a student
    Try works - it's priced for home users
    Try writing a letter to microsoft asking then why they continue charge as much as they can get away with for office ?

If you can't afford to buy yet another copy every three years, you can't use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

dodgy site wrote:
    Even though you are not able to register the product online you will be able to receive automatic updates of the programs. When updates are ready to install you will see a popup window or an icon at the right bottom corner of your screen. Then you have to click on the icon and follow the instructions.
    Need we say more...?
    dodgy site wrote:
    I have received a demo version of Quark Xpress 6 Passport Multilanguage. The program does not save files.
    It is very important to start the installation of "Quark Xpress 6 Passport Multilanguage" by autorun. In case this option is turned off while you install the program some of the essential files will not be downloaded and thus some transient error may occur. In case you cannot autorun the installation you should choose SETUP.CMD file in the root directory.

This should be in Humour!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Scenic911

I have a genuine MS office XP or 2003 small business for sale (can't rem and can't be a*** looking for it). Came with a laptop. Didn't need it as I use a work supplied package. Open to offers. Never used.

**its 2003**

Scenic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

MS Office is not OEM in the same way as O/S, just restricted to one user, although the MS Office licence will allow you to install the software on a PC AND a laptop "providing you own them"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

thats very very dodgy,looked through the site and its not even secure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

WizZard wrote:
    Need we say more...?

LOL :D

Let alone activation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

dodgy site wrote:
    Is it possible to make a bulk order ?
    Due to the restrictions of the OEM software, we can sell only one copy of the product to each customer.

Really thats what OEM means... OK Im george lucas btw!
    How is my order shipped?
    We ship orders via international unregistered mail. The parcel is delivered to your doorstep and you do not need to sign the receipt on the delivery.

Sounds very professional.
    Even though you are not able to register the product online
    very professional sounding, and I thought microsoft loved getting all that data about you.

Its dodgy and I have had dealings with the aftermath. Avoid at all costs. Buy a cheap one on ebay, save the tears.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

is_that_so wrote:
    MS Office is not OEM in the same way as O/S, just restricted to one user, although the MS Office licence will allow you to install the software on a PC AND a laptop "providing you own them"

Wrong. OEM office does exist and is bound to the hardware, also it does not allow you to install on a laptop. And here is the beauty, if you upgrade it to the latest version of office then that copy is ALSO bound to the hardware and so you loose the original and the upgrade when the PC dies.
    Ok in fairness if you buy office OEM and upgrade it to software assurance within the first 90 days (maybe less) you can then move the license off the machine. If you are a volume customer you could also look at the option of buying works and upgrading it to office as an alternative to buying OEM or full price Office or enrolling OEM in SA.
    Note: this was the position the last time I checked , but because of constant changes to licenses, component (cf SBE) and upgrade/downgrade rights and options it worth checking all the options if you are buying in volume. Also note that PowerPoint isn't in all versions of Office SBE and for much of the last decade upgrading from works to office standard has been very similar in price to buying a copy of excel on it's own.

Just to clarify, the deal where you the principle user of office can install a second copy on another PC applies only to the Retail and possibly Corporate licenses and not to OEM.

M$ advertised a student version of office on the radio a while back for use by all the rest of the family for school and IIRC work, but the license AFAIK doesn't allow it's commercial use.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Wrong. OEM office does exist and is bound to the hardware, also it does not allow you to install on a laptop.

I believe you're correct here with regard to office but it's worth noting that other software - Adobe's products and Quark Xpress allow one to install a second copy onto a laptop once both versions are not in use at the same time. But of course this is not OEM.

Personally I'm weary of a lot of the e-bay sites. They sell cheaper academic versions but are not authorized MS Academic resellers often and seem uninterested in checking your details. They may well be selling you perfectly good copies though. Once you're entitled to Academic discount and are satisfied that they are ligit then by all means fire away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Just to clarify, the deal where you the principal user of office can install a second copy on another PC applies only to the Retail and possibly Corporate licenses and not to OEM.

This is the case for the latest version of SBE

Advertisement