Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So close

Options
  • 27-06-2005 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

My Results are up on SIS web, finally.

I got 68.95% average in my finals, just gimme 1 more more frickin % arg. I'm 11/2000 marks away from a first, that's ridiculous!

Recount, Recount Recount...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Oooh thats a bit of a pian in the backside but don't let that annoy you ....... YOU GOT YOUR DEGREE!!! Congratulations. 68.95% is excellent so be very proud of yourself.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Ah the elec department... are you really surprised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

If that happened to me heads would roll...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

this isn't the JC in fairness you just don't randomly awards points to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

this isn't the JC in fairness you just don't randomly awards points to people.

*bump, bump, bump, bump*

that's the sound they'd make falling down the steps...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Yeah there was some well dodgy marking done on it though, especially digital electronics, control and biomed. And digicomm as well, but that was dodgy in a good way :) It was our last exam, and I went into it convinced it would be my worst mark, even left about 45 mins early - bizzarely it turned out to be my best! (and thats out of 13 subjects!) My 4th year mark ended up being a respectable 2-2, and my degree also a respectable 2-2 (degree is 20% 3rd year mark, 80% 4th year mark). I'd have liked a 2-1, but sure we cant have everything, can we? I'm kinda glad I didnt get a 4th year 2-1, but a degree 2-2, cos that would have driven me mad! Still only 11 marks is very little, theCzar have you thought about appealing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

i'm emailing christie today to see if i can, we graduate in 6 days so i doubt i'll be able to get any improvement, and tbh most of the marks i got were about right or generous (like Digi Comm).

I knew i had a 2.1, and i was delighted with that, but to be so close... y'know...

Emailed him there, and he got back to me within 17 minutes! Apparently the date of graduation doesnt affect appeals at all. There's veiwing on the 7th and 8th of July, and to veiw scripts you have to go fill out a form with the department secetary. Interestingly a persons grade doesn't in fact appear on their testimonium (fancy looking bit of paper that you get given at your graduation)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Comp Sci Dept have a written policy of upgrading at 69.1, even at 69.5 they may 'have' to upgrade you. So IMO you're somewhere between .15% and .65% away.

*My Opinion has counted for little on these matters in recent years :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

have you considered the performace of oral sex to improve your grade? Worked for me, went from a F3 to a F1 in 35 seconds.

• Advertisement

uberwolf wrote:
    Comp Sci Dept have a written policy of upgrading at 69.1, even at 69.5 they may 'have' to upgrade you. So IMO you're somewhere between .15% and .65% away.

*My Opinion has counted for little on these matters in recent years :(

Elec Engineering have a cut-off at 70%, regardless of how close. So even if i had 69.99%, I wouldn't me upgraded :mad:

Imagine if when they were all sitting around having their departmental meeting they decided to give someone 69.99% just to see how they reacted :D Tbh though I think if anyone actually got that they'd have to upgrade them. My brother (another elechead) got 69.8% or something like that, and he was finally upgraded to a first after his mentor got on the phone to the head of department and explained just how riduculous it would be not to give him one. It took the mentor a while, but he finally got the head to see his point of veiw (it wasn't even Prof S. here, was Prof B!). They generally dont upgrade people at all though - makes a good case for getting on with your mentor!

P.S. interestingly there is a photo of the same brother on the front of the UCD engineering graduates association joining form that we got out in our application packs, gave me a real suprise when i opened the post that morning, and gave him an even bigger suprise when I showed it to him!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Hell would freeze over before the Prof. S-Man would upgrade anyone. Thank god he was never in the picture when i was around!

I'm going to appeal my E-Mag mark - it can't have been that bad i got 47% - now i think i did ok in that, maybe around 60.

That's your brother? that's a turnup, i'm surprised he wasn't told about it!

My E-mag result was well down on my expectation last year as well. I didn't bother appealing, or rather i left it too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

I got a 68.5.... kind of much more then I expected tbh.... anyone think it's worth appealing? I don't really have any particular grounds to appeal like sick notes etc... Other then I just want more more more :) If it was 69 then definitely yeah.... But I know they wouldn't bother upgrading someone on 58.5 to 60 so why 68.5 to 70.

Well apparently you need grounds for an appeal, i.e. you veiw your paper and see the lecturer added up the marks wrong or something like that! Still it cant hurt to veiw your papers though, just in case...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

how do you view your paper, what is the procedure there, i must have missed it on the web.

Well in eng we just go into our departmental secetary and fill out a form. I'd say its probably the same in all the other faculties as well - it'd be worthwhile to pop your head in and ask them, because the secetaries know absolutely everything!

Advertisement