Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms very likely Tuesday evening and wenesday

Comments

Running a sequence of radar from av brief,it looks like all that nasty purple yellow and red over north wales is going to slam into Dublin soon.

Get your ear plugs ready and put on your sunglasses if you're up there

I'm looking at you w.check :D

*edit* not showing any sferics in that lot I see-though it did a lot whilst over wales -guess its just going to lash rain then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Sounds good, maybe we will have a storm after all. :D

unfortunately I had to edit that last message.

I wouldnt rule it out though, the lightning detectors arent working too well this evening.
    The thunder we had here between 6 and 7 didnt show up on them at all and there was a lot of thunder reported in the blob over wales now heading towards Dublin, but it seems to have calmed.
    Those detectors are based hundreds of miles away and are probably too busy at the moment with whats going on locally.
    The isle of wight one which is usually fairly good is indicating the skies on fire in the South of England with little going on elsewhere for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ajmurphy62

Awww u've got to be kiddin me!!!! Why cant it stay sunny. I really want a sun-tan. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I dont think they will affect us i think they are heading north..

• Advertisement

Very disappointing evening.. Badly forecast on m part but
    it really was upto the gods look just 80 miles to our east!

Soz if i disappointment you might get some TS's later or
    tomorrow tho so dont loose faith ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

South Laois today:Sunny. Got up to 22.6c by 2pm, then cloudy with a spit of rain, Sunny again after 5.30pm, then after 8pm cloudy with another spit of rain. It is currently cloudy with very black skies coming up out of Kilkenny.

This is dissapointing... It seems that the thin layered high cloud associated with this system has blocked sunshine to give much needed thermals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

No problem Weathercheck. Cant be correct all the time. Really wanted to see some lightning, its been a while. I remember a few years back the sky had a freaky green hue and the clouds seemed to boil in the sky! Now that was a proper storm. Lightning for a good half hour before any rain. Just the way I like it. :D

The best storm ever was July 25th/26th 1985.

Yup. The best ever.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭mike2084

Heavy Rain here at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

There are 3 really big thunderstorms that stick in my memory.
    The first one was November\December 1995 which had lightning every 2-3mins for about 8 hours straight. The second one was in August 1997 which was a really tropical one which last about 2 hours and had lightning about every 30 seconds. The last big one I remember was back in Nov\Dec 2003 which made it seem like Dublin was under one big constant Thunderstorm for about 2 days. Magic.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Thunder?? :eek: ARRGGGhhhhh Runs for cover... (my fear!!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looking at a replay of the cloud formations since this morning seems to show that alot of huge thundery showers developed just off our south coast and to the east of us and over southern britain this morning, these pushed northwards and as they hit irish shores the storms/clouds started disolving into thiner cloud/normal rain showers while they remained full strength over the uk, why is this happening? is it because Ireland is just so much cooler than the uk or what? very dissapointing as we seemed to be in the firing line for alot of thunder but nothing came of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

Evelyn Cusack is on a Thunderstorm trip :D, heavy hail and tornados for 2moro:D

She's as bad as me :D:D :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Danno wrote:
    The best storm ever was July 25th/26th 1985.

Yup. The best ever.
    I think i remember that one alright. Looking out my parents bedroom window at the fork lightning for ages, It was wicked!

Bit of a bummer tonight lads, Maybe we might get something during the night. :D

Very disappointing evening.. Badly forecast on m part but
    it really was upto the gods look just 80 miles to our east!

Soz if i disappointment you might get some TS's later or
    tomorrow tho so dont loose faith ;)

I Was woken up sometime around 4am by loud thunder and lightning Grrrrrrr :mad:

I rolled over and put a pillow to my eyes.

A high chance of some home grown storms across Eastern and
    Southern areas CAPE values are very high and some severe storms
    are possible especially after 2pm ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

bah, no decent thunder and lightning here in dublin. just havy rain last night and this morning. dry for the last couple of hours.

I was at a friends house last night from 12.30 till 3am. Around 2am a storm passed over. Roughly a strike a minute. I counted the seconds between the lightning and the flash (I remember this from when I was a kid. Is this accurate?). I was getting 19-20 miles on 2-3 occasions. I had to drive home in that. The rain was really heavy. I had to wait in my car when I got homer till it eased it was that bad. Downpour. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

Nothing much happening at the moment. But there does seem to be a fair amount of convergence in the winds in the middle of the country and some upper winds that could encourage uplift. Perhaps if there are areas of the midlands and centre-east that have only a little cloud cover this afternoon and evening there could be a few storms that start up. Right now I would like to be in the midlands watching the sky!

There's a nice clear slot nudgin in across the south and east

Storms should develop towards evening.

We need temps to approach 20c ;)

We need temps to approach 20c ;)

Heres hoping :)

Couple of strikes showing up in NI now and a lot in the North Irish sea and N wales.

There seems to be a very sharp shower East of Limerick,over tipperary somewhere and another one due East of Galway bay well inland over south Westmeath or Offaly.
    And as usual,North of London the Skies on fire with strikes in a line of showers that runs to mid wales.

Those showers now appear to have joined and formed a line from Offaly down to Cork.
    Sferics are showing up in that line .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mimix

Something starting to brew here in Limerick,Sky is kind of a grey/yellow colour and I have just heard a few low rumbles.

I am in south Laois and the sun is shining over the tops of the cloud over Tipp, looks menacing over there, but the altitude cloud seems to be over central cork county.

There is a VERY interesting development of cloud over NE Laois. I am going to take a photo and upload it later on. It seems what could be a *dry* storm in the making,

Looks very interesting!!!

Evelyn was in full ramp mode at 18.55. "Tornadoes???" was on the screen!

Anyone in Kildare able to see that wierd cloud I am raving on about? Even East Offaly should see it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Thunderstorm to the west of Dublin. Saw lightning whilst waiting for a train at Connolly - heard thunder too. Cloud built up at an amazing rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Danno wrote:
    Anyone in Kildare able to see that wierd cloud I am raving on about? Even East Offaly should see it!

I'm probably too far away too see what your on about (north Kildare). Nothing unusal herte though. Looking outside you wouldnt know anything about thunder and lightening. Just a normal summers evening. Quite clear too. Only a "line" of clouds running parralel(sp?) to the N7 (or there abouts).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very strange weather here, its very very warm, about 22c, the sun is shining strong but it is pouring rain at the same time and theres some dark cloud behind our house on the southern side but no thunder yet.

Advertisement