Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help-Accomadation come September/October

• 27-06-2005 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Ok basically,I think I could be going to Trinity next year (Either that or UCD).
    But I'm still not sure what i'm doing accomadation rise.
    I'm leaving in Galway so i'm pretty sure I shouldn't have a problem getting the student accomadation but I'm not sure thats what I wan't to do.
    I'm not up for digs but I think renting a flat/house is a possibility as I have friends in Dublin and maybe one or two other people who might be interested.
    Taking budget into account (I have about 400-500 a month for accomadation,I know this will cover student accomadation or shared rent with 3-4 other people) anybody know what my best option would be.
    I know the student accomadation is meant to be a laugh and a good way of meeting people but I've been in some places (In NUIG) and they were absolute sh#t-holes.
    HELP PLEASE!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Whichever college you end up going to, apply for the student accommadation anyway and then see what you get offered - you can always not take it. I've seen some of the student accommadation in NUIG (the student 'village' a short walk up the river from the campus? with four 'apartments' in each house, a funny smell and dark corridors inside the apartments?), and it was horrible - it looked like some sort of open prison. The apartments on campus in UCD are nicer (i promise!) and the Dartry Hall Trinity Student Accommadation was built a couple of years ago and is grand.

If you're looking in the private sector for rented accommadation get whoever you're going to be living with together asap before college term starts and get looking. Daft.ie and the evening papers, eg the Herald, are good places to look for places to live.

Mods - maybes there should be a sticky thread at the top of the forum about accommadation?

Hmmm, if you're going to be applying, chances are you'll get Halls.

Click rooms on the left hand side of the page to see some pics...there should be someone on here who's actually lived in Halls though, I can only post up links.

wow - those 360 degree views on the link Myth put up made my head spin....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

I haven't lived in Halls but I've been at a few parties there.... the rooms are SERIOUSLY nice - imho you'd be better off living there in first year than in rented accomodation. From what I'm told, there's a great atmosphere there, lots of parties and everyone knows everyone else.... unless you're living in the older section every room has an ensuite and you share a fairly sizeable kitchen/living room with about 7 or 8 other people. Plus the decor is v nice, you get network points for your computer in your room and there's cable tv connections in the sitting rooms (well the basic 13 cablelink channels).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭claireoby

I really regretted not going into student accomodation for first year. I lived in an apartment which was great but everyone in halls always seemed to be having a great time and everybody knew everybody. I'm going to be in halls next year; they are definately the best student accomodation I've seen anyway.

• Advertisement

cuckoo wrote:
    wow - those 360 degree views on the link Myth put up made my head spin....

Be afraid though...from the looks of things, you'll agree to live there only to find out that there's no ceiling in the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭THE1NE

Yeah cuckoo there the ones im talking about.
    Absolute kips.
    The Trinity Halls thing looks pretty sweet actually.
    Says it has social rooms (Whatever the f*ck they are!) and sports halls and stuff,Which would be pretty cool.
    I think i'm gonna rule out renting a house/apartment unless I have to.
    Considering im going to be relatively new to Dublin and not know many people except a small group of friends I have up there and maybe someother people from other schools around Galway City,I think that the college accomadation might be a good idea.

BTW in the Trinity Halls im assuming heating/electricity..etc is all paid for,or am I wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

THE1NE wrote:
    social rooms (Whatever the f*ck they are!)

they're rooms with discos in them run by the junior dean where the girls stand on one side and the guys on the other. with rice crispy cakes in the corner and bottles of tk lemondade pouring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭The Shol'va

they're rooms with discos in them run by the junior dean where the girls stand on one side and the guys on the other. with rice crispy cakes in the corner and bottles of tk lemondade pouring.
    Tangney makes the best rice crispy cakes! :P

Really?
    Well I was kind of hoping Trinity wouldn't be filled with immature little b*tches like you who don't know how to engage with the opposite sex.Unfortunately that musn't be the case,Or was that just a very poor attempt at sarcasm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

THE1NE wrote:
    Really?
    Well I was kind of hoping Trinity wouldn't be filled with immature little b*tches like you who don't know how to engage with the opposite sex.Unfortunately that musn't be the case,Or was that just a very poor attempt at sarcasm?

Kev'd kick your ass any day.

wooah, chill dude.

Friends?

Kev'd kick your ass any day.
    1.I wouldn't put bets on it and 2.Who are you exactly?
    His boyfriend!?!

And,Yeah sure man whatever just don't expect me to let that go without a response.

riiight. how about you stfu and take a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Agreed.. THE1NE, he meant nothing by it. No need to take offense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I think this thread desended into insults quicker than usual :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

THE1NE wrote:
    BTW in the Trinity Halls im assuming heating/electricity..etc is all paid for,or am I wrong?

you pay an energy charge, i think it's in the region of €200 twice a year, once in september and once in january.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Trinity hall is Reassuringly Expensive. Has free internet access, tho, if you've got a computer.

personally speaking i'd rather live in accomodation not owned/controlled by the college.

personally speaking i'd rather live in accomodation not owned/controlled by the college.

it's not too bad, and does have it's advantages - especially for people moving to dublin for the first time.

but, you do take any rights you may have had as a tenant 'in the real world', screw them up in a ball and throw them in the bin.

however, if someone you're living with is being a real idiot college can take advantage of their lack of rights and rap their knuckles - so if a neighbour is throwing loud parties the night before everyone else's exams the party can be broken up.

• Advertisement

thats entirely my point. if someone in college accomodation has a problem with something they can go moan and whine and complain but in a proper flat/house etc. they'd have to do something a bit more realistic and actually sort it out themselves.

halls are for babies.

Advertisement