Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for tutor for PHP/MYSQL/Dreamweaver

Options
  • 27-06-2005 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi,

Can someone help me to set up PHP & MySQL and Dreamweaver. All I want to do is jutst to set up a basic web database using these software, be able to write, update, and display records.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

(Moved from Newbies/FAQ)

Are you looking for someone to set up the site for you and walk you through it, or are you looking for someone who can give you advice and code samples to help you write the site?

Are you willing to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭maco

Bit of both. I need someone to show me how to set it up and how to code it. Just a very basic web database application.
    Depends on how much but I am willing to pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Ianaldo

Just go to http://www.macromedia.com, tutorials there should help ya, and also http://www.webdevlopers.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Ianaldo

I could help, but i dont know PHP, i only know Coldfusion and ASP, try the links above, in my previous message though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I will help you over MSN or what ever if you willing to pay something at least.
    Have you got any programming experience? got the concept of programming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Please note that a web database that's actually important is not a good beginner project; too much chance of allowing SQL injection, or other security problems.

Thanks for all of your replies, I don't have any web programming experience but beleive it or not I am a cobol programmer by profession. Anyway, I am familiar with dreamweaver.

So far downloaded PHP and MySQL, they seems to be working but not sure how to connect them to Dreamweaver.

All I want is someone that could help me configure them together and if possible have simple program that will store user id and passowrd.

Maybe 2 or 3 hours will do . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

You dont connect mysql or php to dreamweaver. You need to set up a web server on your machine so that you can use mysql. PWS comes bundled with XP pro but may not be installed as standard - so you may have to install it from the XP disc.
    You can edit you php code (in dreamweaver, notepad etc.) and save them to your www folder and then just load them from your browser with the address http://localhost/ if you link your code to a mysql database it should be able to access it fine.
    To create a mysql database look up the documentation on their website for basic commands.

I used to do it this way when I first started out but since I have access to hosting now I just edit the php files in dreamweaver and set dreamweaver to upload the php files on save and view them in my webbrowser.

A book i recommend is "PHP & MYSQL for dummies" - it covers user id & password logins and basic dynamic pages. You can buy it at easons for 25 euro plus 5 euro shipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=93507 - download the first exe (Stable (Apache2.0 PHP4 MySQL4))

Install it, and follow your instruction.

When it has been installed, and you have rebooted, start up the following processes

ApacheMonitor
    WinmySQLAdmin
    root (non SSL)
    and then Dreamweaver

Navigate to a folder called htdocs -> it will be under the folder 2apachetriad (whereever you installed it)

Create a page called test.php in that folder

In that page type the following
    <? echo phpinfo(); ?>

Save it.

Open your browser and type "http://localhost/test.php&quot;

You will then see all the php info about your machine.

YOu can then start hunting online for tutorials or buy some books (search previous threads for recommendations)

Thanks for the info, I tried a week a go and get lost along the way, I will try it again and I will ask for you help again you if I get lost . . .

Thanks very much . . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

Apache Friends is also a good way to start. It is very simple to install and includes a couple of sample scripts to ensure your setup is working. It also includes phpmyadmin and installs both PHP 4.3.x and 5.x for testing your scripts against.

Hi all,

Decide to concentrate and undertand Apache & PHP first.

Apache & PHP seems to work now, thanks for that, managed to call a php document already. I have few question to ask;

a) Do I always need to create my document under htdoc folder

b) Can I create a folder to dump all my test file in there, if yes how do i call/address it ?

To view all working php files locally on your machine - yes they all have to be located underneath htdocs

For example

test.php in htdocs in your browser window is referenced
    http://localhost/test.php

New Folders
    Create a folder called "cheese" within "htdocs" and in the "cheese" folder place a file called "smells.php"

YOu would see it in your browser window if you typed

http://localhost/cheese/smells.php

Thanks . . . it works now . . .

I will look into MySQL now, thank you very much for you help

FYI

http://www.phpbuilder.com/
    http://www.phpfreaks.com/
    http://www.mysql.com
    http://www.php.net

a few links to help

Also if you get stuck - I suggest posting any queries you have either here or in the Programming forum - but not both

Hi,

I have another questions, I am testing mysql right now, I have a code from book to test, the code is;

<html>
    <head>
    <title>Test MySQL</title>
    <body>
    <!-- mysql_up.php -->
    <?php
    $host="localhost";
    $user="root";
    $password="";

mysql_connect($host,$user,$password);
    $sql="show status";
    $result = mysql_query($sql);
    if ($result == 0)
    echo("<b>Error " . mysql_errno() . ": " . mysql_error() . "</b>");
    elseif (mysql_num_rows($result) == 0)
    echo("<b>Query executed successfully!</b>");
    else
    {
    ?>
    <!-- Table that displays the results -->
    <table border="1">
    <tr><td><b>Variable_name</b></td><td><b>Value</b></td></tr>
    <?php
    for ($i = 0; $i < mysql_num_rows($result); $i++) {
    echo("<TR>");
    $row_array = mysql_fetch_row($result);
    for ($j = 0; $j < mysql_num_fields($result); $j++) {
    echo("<TD>" . $row_array[$j] . "</td>");
    }
    echo("</tr>");
    }
    ?>
    </table>
    <?php } ?>
    </body>
    </html>

the book says that it should work and display some tables but I got this error message

Warning: mysql_connect(): Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client in C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\mysql_up1.php on line 11

Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'ODBC'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\mysql_up1.php on line 13

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\mysql_up1.php on line 13
    Error 1045: Access denied for user 'ODBC'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

few things noticed there, i keyed in password but it say's passworrd says No.

can anyone please help me on this . . .

Looks like you've installed PHP 4.x and MySQL 4. You'll either need to downgrade your MySQL server to MySQL3 or upgrade your PHP engine to PHP 5.

seamus wrote:
    Looks like you've installed PHP 4.x and MySQL 4. You'll either need to downgrade your MySQL server to MySQL3 or upgrade your PHP engine to PHP 5.

What? Where did you get this from? PHP4 supports MySQL4, provided it's built with the MySQL4 libraries (as opposed to its built-in mysql libraries).

I am open to any suggestion basically. My PHP version is 4.3.11 and Mysql version is 4.1. Just want to make sure everything is working and in a right order berfore procceding.
    Too many versions available just confused which one to download.

maco wrote:
    I am open to any suggestion basically. My PHP version is 4.3.11 and Mysql version is 4.1. Just want to make sure everything is working and in a right order berfore procceding.
    Too many versions available just confused which one to download.

What operating system? Would you feel comfortable compiling PHP yourself?

• Advertisement

Using XP, not really still very new to these software. I think I need to download it all over again.

rsynnott wrote:
    What? Where did you get this from? PHP4 supports MySQL4, provided it's built with the MySQL4 libraries (as opposed to its built-in mysql libraries).
    Sorry, I was coming from his position. I came across the same problem on the windows platform, and upgrading PHP was a far easier option than recompiling PHP.

seamus wrote:
    Sorry, I was coming from his position. I came across the same problem on the windows platform, and upgrading PHP was a far easier option than recompiling PHP.

Ah, right, yep, I'd forgotten about compiling things on Windows... I'd be inclined to steer clear of PHP5 at the moment and go for a PHP4/MySQL3.whatever combo; PHP5 still isn't very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

To connect to MySQL 4.1.3 and above you need to use the MySQLi library. I'm not sure if it comes with your installation but it's easy to add. Simple copy the .dll into your extensions folder. You can get the .dll by downloading the zip archive on the PHP.net site. You don't need to upgrade / downgrade anything.

Thanks again for all of your response, I will try Serbian solution first before I downgrade or upgrade.

Serbian, as you know still very new to this, I have downloaded already the file which folder to copy, not sure when you say extensions folder. Thanks . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

maco wrote:
    Thanks again for all of your response, I will try Serbian solution first before I downgrade or upgrade.

Serbian, as you know still very new to this, I have downloaded already the file which folder to copy, not sure when you say extensions folder. Thanks . . .

In the .zip file there is a folder called ext/ - Copy this into your PHP folder. Once you have done that, open your php.ini (usually located either in your PHP folder or in the root of the Windows directory) and look for the entry: extension_dir = "./" and change that to read: extension_dir = "<path-to-PHP-folder>\ext\".

Serbian, I did try it but it the same error message. I think something went wrong during my installation.

Decided to re isntall MySQL again this time using MySQL3 and see what will happen.

Again, I want to thank all of you who posted to my query . . .

To all, the problem that I have lise on my PHP tagging. . . It works now. Thanks again to all who posted to my queries . . .

This thread is now closed and resolved . . . .

Advertisement