Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood stain on Picnic table

Options
  • 27-06-2005 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Built a Picnic table a few weeks ago using white deal and applied one coat of Sadolin wood stain to it. Is this enough to protect it or should i have put wood preserver on it.

If I just keep staining it once a year should it be ok

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 tibrok

I was in a garden furniture place last week and they recommend applying Textrol wood sealer once a year. They also recommend applying Net-rol Cleaner and Brightner once every couple of years to remove built up dirt and renew the appearance of the wood.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I would put on at least 2 coats of sadolin initially, the more the better.
    Then coat as required each year , as a maintainence step.

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'll be making mine in the next day or two, and I was thinking of using the same stuff I used on my workshop ... FenceLife I think it was called. I don't want a shiny varnished effect, and this stuff I have on my workshop was put on a year ago now, and the water still beads off beautifully the same as the day I put it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

I used the Ronseal Garden Furniture stain on my table recently and I was very happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Decking Oil in the wood stain colour you want the finish to be, is the most weather resistant option...like any good wood protection it requires at least two thin coats and preferrably 3-4 (and a light sanding in between). Two is good to start with and then one every year. Pine is very susceptible to weathering, especially the end grain, so make sure and hit everything, not just the bits you can see...

• Advertisement
Advertisement