Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on tune selection placing

• 27-06-2005 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

What would everyone reckon the best order is for the following genres?

Hip-Hop/R&B (Beyonce, Mario, Black Eyed Peas, Akon etc...)
    Indie (Keane, Stereophonics, Oasis etc...)
    Dance (i.e. commercial house, Shapeshifters, Eric Prydz etc...)
    Pop (Britney, Natasha Bedingfield, Kylie etc...)

The reason I'm posting in this forum is cos a lot of DJ's hang out in here

I'm putting together a set for an upcoming gig, and I'm only kinda starting out in the whole commercial scene using CD's, so I was wondering what genres best follow each other, I kinda have my own ideas but other ideas are always good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

stephen p wrote:
    so I was wondering what genres best follow each other
    erm... none of them :p
    I guess Indie to start, followed by pop, then hip hop, then dance... indie first and dance last would make the most sense progression wise, hop hop and pop placement really depends on what kind of **** you're playing.
    can't offer you any advice on what would actually work best together in a club environment though... that's just the order i'd logically put them in

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭monkeyman

stephen p wrote:
    What would everyone reckon the best order is for the following genres?

Hip-Hop/R&B (Beyonce, Mario, Black Eyed Peas, Akon etc...)
    Indie (Keane, Stereophonics, Oasis etc...)
    Pop (Britney, Natasha Bedingfield, Kylie etc...)

The reason I'm posting in this forum is cos a lot of DJ's hang out in here

I'm putting together a set for an upcoming gig, and I'm only kinda starting out in the whole commercial scene using CD's, so I was wondering what genres best follow each other, I kinda have my own ideas but other ideas are always good.

Its supposed to be your mix mate. How you express yourself, not how someone told you to. Do up a couple of mixes, give them everyone that will have one, put up a post here and get some feedback. Go from there. Have one in your back pocket at all times to pull out at a party you end up in.

Although if its commercial, I will abstain from commenting.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

well apart from indie stuff, the lines between the other categories can be blurred,some pop will fit in with yr hip hop r&b stuff as it will with dance,also remember that one mans hip hop is another mans r&B-dont be surpised if your'e playing "rappers delight" & someone asks you to "turn off dat shyte & play some hip hop" these are the dangers of the territory you are going into-
    Ive been in a few crappy clubs (on work nights out etc ) & the djs often drop in current indie "hits" in the middle of britney & whoever!!
    i was suprised at the reaction to be honest - YOU HAVENT LIVED TILL YOUVE SEEN A GANG OF FAKE TANNED SLAPPERS GO CRAZY TO 7 NATION ARMY!! :D
    also remember that even in the most commercial slapper infested sh-ithole where the crowd will be begging /threatening you to play all the latest chart hits you'll still have to fill out your mix.Unless youve only got 2 hours to play in which case play the entire top 30 & blabber inanely between the songs!!! :D
    BINGO! easy money!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

what he said!

basically, if its in the charts or on the radio, or has been at all in the last five year, you're laughing! doesnt really matter what order you do it in, try 30 - 45 minutes of uptempo stuff followed by a bit of r'n'b so people can get jiggy with the people they're gyrating in front of.

always play requests, unless they're insane [someone asking for obituary while you're playin celine dion, or vice versa]

and you're not a dj, you play records in public is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

and eric prydz aint commercial mate!

women dont like dance tunes - like prodigy etc. they love r&b so if it looks like the dance floor is gettin scarce of women, crack on the auld beyonce and sh1te to get them back, men will follow cause we're all hornbags!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

VinnyL wrote:
    and eric prydz aint commercial mate!
    ehm... any tune that's got a place in the ringtone charts is commercial tbh.
    some of his other **** mightn't be commercial, but call on me made him a commercial entity and there's no escaping that image.

one commercial tune to get his name out there...

he doesnt go under prydz with his techno stuff anyway, but he's playing at dance valley this year too - definately not commercial!

i wouldnt call him commercial just cause of one tune! in that case a LOT of respected dj's would be considered commercial!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Seems pretty obvious that he means the Prydz commercial venture:

Lets just call a spade a spade :D

fair enough :D

just annoys me when i say i'm goin to see prydz that people think i'm gonna be jumpin up and down to call on me, thats all! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

VinnyL wrote:
    one commercial tune to get his name out there...

Just like Mark McCabe did with "Maniac on the DanceFloor".

• Advertisement

Just like Mark McCabe did with "Maniac on the DanceFloor".

ha ha, theres always an exception! god that tune is muck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Thanks for the various replies lads!

Advertisement