Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grove (for those able to remember!)

Options
  • 27-06-2005 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to put a list together of the best songs played by the famous DJ Cesil at The Grove.
    For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, The Grove was a gathering every Saturday night on the northside of Dublin in St. Pauls College, Raheny. The Dj was as famous as the people who went to it every Saturday night.

If you can remember some of the songs I would be grateful if you would post your memories here...

Here's one of my own "The Clash - Rock the Casbah"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

He also played

Come On Eileen - by ?????
    Midlife Crisis - Faith No More
    I'm fairly sure he played Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
    Sweet Child Of Mine - GNR

That's all I can remember right now. I was usually very, very drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Dr. Loon wrote:
    Come On Eileen - by ?????

Dexys Midnight Runners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Come on Eileen is by Dexy's Midnight Runners.
    You must have been there after my time.
    I remember the Grove as a vomit-smelling kip, where strangers would grope you in the dark.
    What a dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

newgrange wrote:
    Come on Eileen is by Dexy's Midnight Runners.
    You must have been there after my time.
    I remember the Grove as a vomit-smelling kip, where strangers would grope you in the dark.
    What a dump.

After your time?! I would've gone there about, eh... 11 years ago or so, and yes it was a vomit smelling kip, where strangers groped you up in the dark but what can ye do when you're 15? Aside from drinking in fields and bushes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Yeah..it was much the same about 25 years ago too.

They must have made a fortune running it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Sad But True by Metallica was deffo in there.

And they played Rage Against The Machine's Bullet in The Head too.

God, I loved that place, vomit smelling kip as maybe, but you got to grope strangers in the dark :D

Six cans of Bulmers down a lane, then around to the Grove to sweat it out of you before you went home, what a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Pearl Jam - Alive
    Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
    Loads of the Cure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭disillusioned

Riders on the Storm - The Doors
    Rock Lobster - B52s

Actually this was approx 14 years ago! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

14 years ago is probably a couple o years after my time but i woulda still had mates going then- i remember they always used to play "since youve been gone" by rainbow i used to hate this song when i was going there & i remember there was a girl i kinda knew who nicked Cecil's copy - I was delighted!
    but the next week there it was !!??now everytime i hear this tune i can almost smell the cider!!
    anyone Remember THe "den til 10" off licence down near st annes park??They had a grat system where once you provide them with Valid ID they wrote your details in a big book,my mamates,my younger brothers & probably their mates were always pretending to be me & getting served !!
    incendentally i have a mate who went to that school & he was only telling me the other day that he had a part time "job" cleaning the place up - this included sunday afternoon when he had to clean the school of vomit & vodka bottles as well as everything else all for £1.50 an hour!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭disillusioned

Kingsize wrote:
    incendentally i have a mate who went to that school & he was only telling me the other day that he had a part time "job" cleaning the place up - this included sunday afternoon when he had to clean the school of vomit & vodka bottles as well as everything else all for £1.50 an hour!! :p

Yuck :eek: The poor guy. From what I recall there would have been plenty of clean-up needed and I reckon the vodka bottles were the least stomach churning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Ladypawpaw

New Order - Blue monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭pleba

Advertisement