Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community Board admins

• 27-05-2001 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    just curious. I know admins can read any even private communities on the boards. We even got a friendly hi from Tom when the HIV board went up. But can any communities admin do this? If we post passwords/phone numbers etc etc, can the admins of other forums read this? (or is it just board admins as opposed to forum admins)
    quozl

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Moderators arent the same as administrators. I, for example, am a moderator and (under a different name) a community forum moderator, but I still can't go into the private forums. Tom (DeVore) and the other ADMINISTRATORS can - and so it should be! It's their web site!

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? - a Triumph! - 'And yea verily did Moses strike down the ammmanites, - and all the land did hear the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

as far as I know thats the way it works. HMmmm...

I'll look into it if I get a chance.

Tom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Thanks Tom,
    and bard I did suggest that distinction myself. But thanks a lot for the careful use of capitals in case I was painfully slow and couldnt understand you. You're a true humaitarian,
    quozl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

damnit, there i was just, about to get quozls phone number to harrass his mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Yep it's just DeVore, Cloud, Regi and "Q" that can see into private forums, not moderators.

John.
    --

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Well, I think I've just soiled my pants at the thought of you owning then Tom tongue.gif

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    We were all set for a game of Ice Hockey when Frank Williams says "Sorry lads, I've forgotten my skates!"
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:

The distinction you suggested was between "board admins" and "forum admins".

I suggested the distinction as being between "moderators" and "administrators". It's a different distinction.
    </font>
    What exactly is a board admin if not an administrator, and what exactly is a forum admin if not a moderator? I must remember to check the correct lingo before posting.

Thanks to Cloud/Tom for clearing this up, was worried about us putting our private numbers up and such. And ken if you want my number all you have to do is ask wink.gif
    quozl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Quozl has been trying to give everone his number, just give up quozl no one is going to ring you.

Coyote

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by quozl:

What exactly is a board admin if not an administrator and what exactly is a forum admin if not a moderator? I must remember to check the correct lingo before posting.

</font>

By my understanding of it, a "board admin" is someone who administers *a* board and a "forum admin" is someone who administers one of the community forums. These, in the lingo of the user levels on boards.ie, would be "Moderators".

"Administrators" on the other hand are those who actually take care of the day to day running of the site and are one level above the moderators. Those, for example, who own the web site.

I could be wrong, mind you wink.gif I was just trying to help!

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? - a Triumph! - 'And yea verily did Moses strike down the ammmanites, - and all the land did hear the roar of his triumph !!!'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by quozl:
    Thanks Tom,
    and bard I did suggest that distinction myself. But thanks a lot for the careful use of capitals in case I was painfully slow and couldnt understand you. You're a true humaitarian,
    quozl
    </font>

No you didn't suggest that distinction actually.

The distinction you suggested was between "board admins" and "forum admins".

I suggested the distinction as being between "moderators" and "administrators". It's a different distinction.

- sorry if my use of capitals seemed patronising- I was just trying to be helpful and as clear as possible, ... ffs !

Bard

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 28-05-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cloud:
    Yep it's just DeVore, Cloud, Regi and "Q" that can see into private forums, not moderators.

John.
    --
    </font>

Muhahaha

All your pants are belong to us.

Tom.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement